Sign in to follow this  
serverandenforcer

So do you believe in miracles?

Saw today on the cover of the Air Force Times that some F-16 pilot was able to land his plane after snapping his neck from a 9g+ turn at 500 knots. I haven't read the whole story, but that's just crazy. Hope that doesn't mean the pilot's career is over.

Edited by serverandenforcer

Saw today on the cover of the Air Force Times that some F-16 pilot was able to land his plane after snapping his neck from a 9g+ turn at 500 knots. I haven't read the whole story, but that's just crazy. Hope that doesn't mean the pilot's career is over.

Flying fast movers...ya, he's probably done. But I know plenty of guys who have crossed over to heavies because a particular medical problem prevented them from staying in high-G enviroments. Assuming he recovers, wants to fly again, and the USAF has room, he can probably switch over.

That's one thing you don't hear about too much. A LOT of guys I know who've flown Vipers for a long time have permenant neck/spine problems. Hell, my neck is tweaked and I usually only do 5-6Gs on a regular basis. Usually it's not the G's in and of themselves...it's the twisting while under G that causes all the strain (incidently, similar problems creep up in spines at 1 G for the same thing...twisting while picking up something heavy like baggage).

FC

Wow, you cant imagine how much pain the guy was in, and he was able to land?!?!?! Must of been a good pilot, hope he gets to fly again

Edited by scouserlad13