Sign in to follow this  
serverandenforcer

my latest upgraded to my system

This past weekend I bought a new Asus motherboard and a AMD 64 Semperon processor that runs at 2.8 GHz. The processor is a single core (haven't been impressed with the dual and multi-core processors). I also got 8 gigs of DDR 2 1066 MHz RAM. Now combined with my NVidia GTX 280 video card, I don't think I should have any performance issues with any sim that I would be using... hopefully.

Wait, you got 8 GBs of RAM and a Sempron?? You know those are the old Athlon 64s, right?

I got a C2D (actually just upgraded to a 3.33GHz from my original 3GHz model) and believe me, even in games that don't recognize dual cores, it's a lot faster than my Athlon FX-57 was. Part of that is due to the internal architecture just being faster, and part of that is because Windows itself recognizes the 2nd core and can do a lot of things with it while you're gaming on the other one, preventing pauses/stutters/slowdowns.

Wait, you got 8 GBs of RAM and a Sempron?? You know those are the old Athlon 64s, right?

So are you saying I got myself a bad processor? It only cost me about $45.00.

LOL, well the $45 part should clue you to the fact that you got a bargain processor. For many tasks it's perfectly capable, I'm just saying it's not ideal for gaming...especially newer games.

Most "good for gaming" processors are going to run you $100+ right now. I think the C2D 3GHz I just got rid of runs about $170 right now. Since you already bought the mobo, look at what the board is capable of running on Asus' site and you'll see what CPUs it could take.

If you stick with older sims it shouldn't be too bad (you likely can't run at max detail), but I think DCS: Black Shark and Oleg's upcoming SoW:BoB would bring that to its knees rather quickly. The funny part is your GTX280, a card that's faster than my 260, is way fast for a Sempron. I literally spent the same amount for my video card and CPU ($260 each I think) to keep the performance "matched". In your case, your CPU will be the bottleneck, there won't be anything it could throw at a 280 that the 280 can't handle. Of course, when you spend $45 on a CPU and what, $350+ on the video card, that's what will happen.

If you can get a dual or quad core, you can do so much more on them. My gaming computer is a single core AMD FX-55 running at 2.6. My laptop is a dual core running at 2.0 and I can do more with it, like having multi apps running better then my FX-55. If my laptop had a descent video card I'm sure it would be way better then my gaming computer.

If your willing to spend around $200 on a processor id recommend the intel core 2 e8400. Had this on my new rig and im very impressed with it. Usually go with AMD as i found the single core processors to be quicker but with the dual core ones i wasnt very impressed.

Well, I finally hooked up my entire system and gave the upgraded rig a try at a heavily modded install of WOI. Results... smooth as silk with maximum settings! Weird thing though is that the FPS counter reads 12 to 13 FPS while on the runway but it seems like it's running above 30 fps. After take off the counter goes up to 20 to 30 something FPS. Now if I can only figure out what's causing it to minimize to the desktop every 3 minutes (been happening prior to the upgrade - think it might be a trojan virus).