Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

gMax on the MS Flight Simulator?

A few days back somebody mentioned that the gMax modeling program is included on the MS Flight Simulator. I hope I am remembering correctly. I have MS Flight Simulator X (DeLuxe Edt.) 2006. I've scanned both discs and don't see it. Can someone point me in the right direction?

EDIT: I downloaded Gmax from TurboSquid.

Edited by Hauksbee

A few days back somebody mentioned that the gMax modeling program is included on the MS Flight Simulator. I hope I am remembering correctly. I have MS Flight Simulator X (DeLuxe Edt.) 2006. I've scanned both discs and don't see it. Can someone point me in the right direction?

EDIT: I downloaded Gmax from TurboSquid.

Hy Hauk'

You by any chance thinking of trying to create some AC for OFF with this? If so maybe we can compare notes.

ZZ.

You by any chance thinking of trying to create some AC for OFF....?

Yes. I'm new to GMAX, but have some experience with 3D Studio Max [from which it derives]

Compare notes? I'm all for it.

Yes. I'm new to GMAX, but have some experience with 3D Studio Max [from which it derives]

Compare notes? I'm all for it.

you will find that gmax is a lot simpler and lot less funtctions compared to the max 8 or 9 seris

also check th off 3rd party addons ive put up i belive it is a sticky wiht soem good info and a base source file wiht textures to get you started

Coolio!

Its something I've wanted to try, when I have time of course. Its good you have experience with 3dmax, as I believe thats the software used to create the models, or at least they have a M3D tag. I dunno, I'm guessing here, but I have a converter that I downloaded, untried as of yet, that should convert gmax to M3D. So, we should be able to create a 3d model in gmax, convert to M3D, and use in OFF right!? Somehow I have a feeling its not that simple. :biggrin::no:

ZZ.

Edited by zoomzoom

Somehow I have a feeling its not that simple.

{LOL} It rarely is. I've got the Simviation/gryphon tutorial on the Me-334 and I'll start on that to get the feel of GMAX. I haven't a clue as to how to get models into games, etc., but we'll tackle that a step at a time.

It's heartening that StumpJumper feels GMAX is easier than 3D Max.

also check th off 3rd party addons ive put up i belive it is a sticky....

I'm not seeing it right off hand. What's the title? Thanks.

So Stump,

Once you are done with your design, do you know the proceedure for converting into a file that can be used by OFF so it can be used in game?? I've made a few AC for FS9 in the past, and would likely tinker again if I knew I could get my machine into OFF.

ZZ.

also check th off 3rd party addons ive put up.....

Got it. Looks like a small college degree's worth of information in there. THanks.

Hi, Hauksbee and Stumpjumper

Would you say, that someone who can work with graphic programs like Corel Draw,

could also learn modelling with GMAX?

Cause I would like to try to build the Fokker D VIII.

Edited by Olham

...Cause I would like to try to build the Fokker D VIII.

Olham? Can this be the same 'Olham' who has been telling us what an ugly aiplane the D.VII is? A 'railroad box-car' of a plane? A 'soap-box racer' of an airplane? [i'm quoting from memory here.] Can it be?

Don't let GMAX scare you off. If you can turn the computer on, you can handle 3D applicatrions. The first is the worst. [After the first one, they all work in similar ways.] Download the article above that StumpJumper posted. Lots of good stuff in it. The tutorial I'm using you can find at www.simviation.com/gryphon/tutorials/gMax_02.htm He starts you off building a WWII German jet [Me-334] Not exactly our cup of tea, but, just this once, I'm going to follow the tutorial and NOT jump into my pet project at once and try to adapt the tutorial to it. One good piece of advice, [i believe it was in Stump's posting], the author says 'For your first plane, build something very basic, even rudimentary. Same with the second'. Don't try to make some that looks really hot. Get the basics under your belt...then go for 'pretty'.

Also, I found 'The G-Max Bible' on amazon.com [i always buy Used copies.] There are other sources. I've got a bunch in my Favorites file. I'll dig them out later and post them. Among them: a G-Max Forum where you can question experienced people. And then, there's us. I'm sure the three of us can get one airplane off the ground.

EDIT: 'Checked the Favorites file. The best entries are the ones I've already posted here.

Edited by Hauksbee

Hauksbee, I dislike the look of the D VII - a craft with an bulky inline engine.

The D VIII had a rotary engine, only one high wing, and looks much better.

It was an incredible aircraft - I have seen a photo, showing the whole workers crew

sitting on the wing.

Thanks for all the info. Is GMAX a freeware?

The D VIII had a rotary engine, only one high wing, and looks much better.

VII's? VIII's? Jaysus! Numbers all look alike. And, of course, you're right. The D.VIII is a elegant looking plane, the D.VII was designed simply to lift a pair of Spandau's to 13,000' and back again.

The G-Max Forums can be found at TurboSquid.com

Oddly enough, I started building a D.VIII yesterday in Animation:Master, but this will not be importable into a game.

EDIT: I've seen the photos of people standing on the wing. Fokker liked that kind of pic. But then, he needed them. The Dr.I had main spar problems at first, and I've seen references that claim the early D.VIII's were shoddily built and suffered multiple failures.

Edited by Hauksbee

Hey, yes, that looks like I thought it might. I assume, that you draw those red lines for a Front,

Side and Top view to get a 3D part.

Must be more difficult to put them together the right way. And then, later, the propeller, wheels

and rotary must turn!

I was warned, that 3D modelling can be frustrating - seems to need patience and endurance?

Not really my strengths - but I like building something.

Why did you use a prog, not compatible to BHaH?

Hey, yes, that looks like I thought it might. I assume, that you draw those red lines for a Front,

Side and Top view to get a 3D part.

Must be more difficult to put them together the right way. And then, later, the propeller, wheels

and rotary must turn!

I was warned, that 3D modelling can be frustrating - seems to need patience and endurance?

Not really my strengths - but I like building something.

Why did you use a prog, not compatible to BHaH?

In this case, where actual dimensions matter, I did import a Top/Side & Front view and built the model over the art. I used the drawings I mentioned in another thread. [scale Aircraft Drawings / Air Age] I Photoshoped out all the extraenous detail. Modeling an object really isn't that hard. When you get to human(oid) modeling and animation it can get complex...and 'way more complex than I want to deal with. I've read accounts of character models with 500+ 'bones'. But animating an airplane can be done with a 'bone' in each control surface, one in the prop, one in the wheels, and there you are.

Also, bones are simple to add, and then you assign the Control Points [the red dots] to each bone.

My D.VIII is built in Animation:Master because that's the program I've used for the last three years. It's what I used for the Albatros/DH-2 pictures on my Blog. And I'm doing the same here: I'll render the model over a suitable cloud pic. and see what I can get. Plus it's a good excercise in shaping a D.VIII [current pic. attached]

Here's the URL for G-Max. They tucked it away in a sub-basement. http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

In this case, where actual dimensions matter, I did import a Top/Side & Front view and built the model over the art. I used the drawings I mentioned in another thread. [scale Aircraft Drawings / Air Age] I Photoshoped out all the extraenous detail. Modeling an object really isn't that hard. When you get to human(oid) modeling and animation it can get complex...and 'way more complex than I want to deal with. I've read accounts of character models with 500+ 'bones'. But animating an airplane can be done with a 'bone' in each control surface, one in the prop, one in the wheels, and there you are.

Also, bones are simple to add, and then you assign the Control Points [the red dots] to each bone.

My D.VIII is built in Animation:Master because that's the program I've used for the last three years. It's what I used for the Albatros/DH-2 pictures on my Blog. And I'm doing the same here: I'll render the model over a suitable cloud pic. and see what I can get. Plus it's a good excercise in shaping a D.VIII [current pic. attached]

Here's the URL for G-Max. They tucked it away in a sub-basement. http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

Why not refer to the 'lost' I posted in another thread, pick out a plane we don't have, and give it a go. It looks like you've got a real good handle on making models.

The D.VIII is actually partailly completed. So we already have one. I'd like to see you do a Voisin, Cauldron, or an early Albatros C.I :)

OvS

The D.VIII is actually partailly completed. So we already have one. I'd like to see you do a Voisin, Cauldron, or an early Albatros C.I :)

The plane I'm building is for generating images, not gameplay. But I could see building something like a Voisin [when the time comes] as it's pretty simple. However; I'd better get through the first tutorial on G-Max before I start taking requests. [LOL]

Thank you, Hauksbee

I just downloaded GMAX and will try a first build after that tutorial.

If I can get it right, I would be willing to make a model for BHaH, that is not yet in production.

And I rely on you there, to help me.

Hey, that might be fun!

And I rely on you there, to help me...

This will be the blind leading the blind. Not normally a good situation for two pilots. (LOL)

Hauksbee, if you have 3dsmax, don't bother too much with Gmax: it's a simplified 3ds max without some of the modelling tools and the rendering abilities. But the most important to me is that the UVs tools are much better in max than Gmax. So you'd better model in 3DSmax but you will still need Gmax to import your model in the game. But knowing 3dsmax, you'll feel at home with the gmax interface.

Go here: http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/darkmoon/bff/

this plugin allows you to convert your 3ds max file into a format you can export to Gmax with minimal loss. You will have to set up the materials again in Gmax but your geometry and UVs will remain intact. Once you have exported the file in .ms format, go to gmax, run script and click on the .ms file and voila!

The only thing is that the exporter doesn't like the object names beginning with R, and another letter I can't remember. It won't export them, don't know why. But that's just a simple matter of renaming them later in Gmax.

Hope to see what you'll come up with soon. :)

don't bother too much with Gmax...

Thanks for the heads-up. However; I don't use 3D Max these days. My experience with it was on one short-lived [shorter-than-expected, anyway] job while I was a graphic designer in California. [Had to build hundreds of tiny, clik-on icons for an on-line application.] But that was nigh onto ten years ago, so I'm rather starting fresh. Probably best I just hang in with G-Max. I remember 3D Max for the over-whelming plethora of tools. Once you figured out how to do something, you had to nearly re-do it over and over because you'd forget where the tool was. I'll just take it low and slow until I get through the tutorial.