Sign in to follow this  
Olham

"Only half an hour left..."

Jasta 9, Sissone, 12. August 1918

Leutnant Leber

Dear Kurt!

You know, that he saved your life again this morning? I witnessed it; you should be grateful.

There is something, I haven't told you yet (I had to make a first report to Hptm. Blume), and

it is lying on my heart like a stone. I don't even know, if I understood him right, but it seems

to me, that he felt something - that he knew...

When we walked to our waiting craft this early morning, the Hauptmann murmured something,

that I didn't understand first. But now I know, what he said: "Only half an hour left."

And you know as well as I do, that with this morning's sortie, he would have reached the

threatening 17-hour-mark.

Will you come to my room after your report? I want to drink on him with you. Georg may also

come later. I felt so helpless.

Hope to see you. Theo

(For the sordid details, see "Combat reports from the Front")

My condolences, Olham! If only your pilot had gotten all those kills confirmed, he would have been quite an ace!

Reading these KIA reports is always very sobering. It makes me remember that only a small mistake or some bad luck is needed to put an end to the most promising pilot's career.