Sign in to follow this  
Dagger

Is It Worth It?

I know it's kind of a open question but after playing OFP and GR,I'm kinda hooked on FPS. is CoD worht the time compared to these other titles and is there a place people can go to play MP missions?

Dagger, I think this game is more like BF1942 and MOH, kind of a run and gun game. The games you mentioned are more tactical type "combat sims". I think it does have a bit more of a "tactical tone" to it so to speak than BF1942 and MOH, but that could be more a function of its atmosphere and cinematics getting you "in the game and psyched". I really enjoyed the demos but I wouldnt had bought it simply because I already have several run and guns, BF1942, and UT. A freind bought me the game for Christmas and I will say I have enjoyed the game a LOT. The single player campaigns are the best I have seen bar none. Its like me, pcpilot, alongside some old movie great starring in my own war film. The MP part is of the same high caliber as BF1942 with some nice different game types. But it doesnt do as much for me as the SP part of the game. Like I said, I wouldnt have bought it for more run and gun. Unlike BF1942, there isnt a quick battle generator, you have to play one of the missions unlocked from the campaign, read rerun here. There wasnt any mission editor released with it though I understand some SDK tools were released. Also, except for some apparently minor bugs, it has run flawlessly 98% of the time right out of the box unpatched.

All in all, the game is excellent, is very engrossing, and a LOT of fun. And yet I still find myself debating the nessesity for another $50 run and gun. Im having a hard time understanding all the excitement, the game is hardly more than a slightly new twist on an old theme. Im an old money pincher. Lived thru a lot of lean times. I expect to get every pennys' worth when I buy something. If a prospective purchase doesnt quite meet all my criteria, I pass on it. My bottom line? As good as this game is, I still woulda passed on it. Dont mean to rain on anyones parade, just my honest opinion. If you dont have a run and gun, this is the first one I would recommend to you.

Edited by pcpilot

The game is worth every penny IMHO. But you may want to ask yourself why you want to play it? Single Player or Multiplayer? If you prefer SP games, there are none that will currently give you the insperation to play more then COD.

IF you prefer MP gaming, well....IMHO I'm not currently satisfied. I hate the bunny hoping cheating sometimes lag filled servers. I compare this game to BF1942, a similar FPS. BF1942 Multiplayer is much better IMO, although some of the same problems exist...I just had more fun in BF1942. I do however enjoy the many different means to play in COD: Capture the Flag, Free For All, missions, etc..etc.. They do have much more variety.

COD has the potential to become so much more with MODs and Add-ons. I hope they see some excellent ones soon.

Is this game worth getting. Yes. I have it, love it, I just don't play it much because Ive made it thru the single player campaigns, and the MP hasn't impressed me much. I've preferred AAO for MP gaming due to it's better graphics, realism, and Teamplay...but that's just me.

<C>

Fates