Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

In memory of Reinhold Platz...

Reinhold Platz: hired as a welder in Fokker's earliest days, unschooled as an engineer, rose to be Tony Fokker's head designer.

Reinhold Platz (16 January 188615 September 1966) was a German aircraft designer and manufacturer in service of the Dutch company Fokker.

Platz was hired by Fokker in 1912 as a welder. His first hands-on projects were to weld the frame parts for the Fokker Spin. Platz became the head designer at the Fokker factory in Schwerin in 1916. Platz had no higher education, like Anthony Fokker, he was a man of practice. This turned the two men into a strong team, where Platz was able to bring forth new revolutionary ideas to aircraft design, while Anthony Fokker implemented them in prototype aircraft. Platz became the head designer at the Fokker factory in Amsterdam after World War I.

Platz was born in Cottbus and died in Ahrensburg.

Note: There are some controversial points of view. it has been suggested that Platz was merely the foreman of the welding unit at Fokker, and that his status was raised in Weyl's book in an effort to denigrate Anthony Fokker's design achievements. The truth probably lies somewhere in between. . .

WF2

BTW, what plane is that in the picture above? ...... LOL!

Looks like a DVIII-XPLANE. :rofl: Nice pic though.

ZZ.

Reinhold Platz (16 January 188615 September 1966) was a German aircraft designer and manufacturer in service of the Dutch company Fokker.

Platz was hired by Fokker in 1912 as a welder. His first hands-on projects were to weld the frame parts for the Fokker Spin. Platz became the head designer at the Fokker factory in Schwerin in 1916. Platz had no higher education, like Anthony Fokker, he was a man of practice. This turned the two men into a strong team, where Platz was able to bring forth new revolutionary ideas to aircraft design, while Anthony Fokker implemented them in prototype aircraft. Platz became the head designer at the Fokker factory in Amsterdam after World War I.

Platz was born in Cottbus and died in Ahrensburg.

Note: There are some controversial points of view. it has been suggested that Platz was merely the foreman of the welding unit at Fokker, and that his status was raised in Weyl's book in an effort to denigrate Anthony Fokker's design achievements. The truth probably lies somewhere in between. . .

WF2

Fokker Spin?...bet that was popular with the German Test Pilots!!! :biggrin:

Fokker Spin?...bet that was popular with the German Test Pilots!!! :biggrin:

Hehe, actually it was I believe the "Spinne", which correct me if I'm wrong meant spider?

ZZ.

Hehe, actually it was I believe the "Spinne", which correct me if I'm wrong meant spider?

Yes. Named for the over-abundance of bracing wires. Looked like an airborne spider web.

Awesome pic Hauksbee. You made this pic with your D.VIII model yeah? Looks great.

-Rooster

Awesome pic Hauksbee. You made this pic with your D.VIII model yeah? Looks great.

-Rooster

Thanks, Rooster. Too bad it's not importable into OFF. We'll have to work on that.