Sign in to follow this  
JRA

Laser Guided Bombs

I can't seem to find this in any forum. What's the correct way of delivering LGB's like the BOLT 117 - LGB 1/B? Do I still have to dive bomb with them like the dumb bombs?

level release or a glide release ( shallow dive, ~ -10 deg ) should work OK, altitude 8k to 13k ft, distance 3-5 nm, speed ~ 450 KIAS

level release or a glide release ( shallow dive, ~ -10 deg ) should work OK, altitude 8k to 13k ft, distance 3-5 nm, speed ~ 450 KIAS

Yep, what Crusader said. Releasing them in a dive will only help them maneuver a little more quickly, but essentially, doing it as above is a good way to go. If on the other hand you need to get into the weeds to avoid SAM threats, getting low and fast and having the target on boresight before releasing 2-3 kms away has worked for me too. In that situation, ensuring you have a line of sight of the target and are in the high 900kph areas is critical.