Sign in to follow this  
billn53

Airbase takeoff problem

I've just begun playing with the "Charlie's Aces" campaign and I find that if I try to begin a mission on the ground, my plane and all of my wingmen start off in the exact same spot in the middle of the runway. If I let autopilot try to take off, the plane veers off the runway and races cross-country.

Obviously there's something wrong with the terrain and/or airbase setup (I'm using the Green Hell 2 mod). Where do I go to track down and fix the problem? And, yes, I did do a forum search and didn't find anything helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Cant even find that - what year was that done and what version of the game was it designed to run in?

Safe to assume this is WoV, and the stock VietnamSEA terrain? (well, other than the trees and such like... :wink: ) Or are you trying this is SF2:V??

gotta tell us which game!!

Have you flown single missions, and does the problem reoccur???

IIRC, that campagin was made for like SP3 or 4 -- probably no higher than the 06 patch level. That's more than likely the issue; needs updating (read: total rebuild). Most assurdly will probably NOT work in SF2V

wrench

kevin stein

I've just begun playing with the "Charlie's Aces" campaign and I find that if I try to begin a mission on the ground, my plane and all of my wingmen start off in the exact same spot in the middle of the runway. If I let autopilot try to take off, the plane veers off the runway and races cross-country.

Obviously there's something wrong with the terrain and/or airbase setup (I'm using the Green Hell 2 mod). Where do I go to track down and fix the problem? And, yes, I did do a forum search and didn't find anything helpful.

Thanks in advance!

I noticed the same problem in WOV when trying to fly red planes. The stock terrain uses different airfield.ini's for red that seem to not have more than 1 taxi postition specified.

Open the vietnamSEA_targets.ini file (you may have to extract it from the .CAT file, see the knowledge base for instructions on that) and look at the airfield.ini's that are specified for all the different airbases. The N. Vietnamese will have "VC_" or something like that in front of them. Replace the VC airfield.ini entries with the ones from the USAF airbases and you'll be good to go.

This may not make much sense as it reads here, but if you open up vietnamSEA_targets.ini and start looking around, you should be able to figure it out.

:good:

Safe to assume this is WoV, and the stock VietnamSEA terrain? (well, other than the trees and such like... :wink: ) Or are you trying this is SF2:V??

gotta tell us which game!!

Have you flown single missions, and does the problem reoccur???

IIRC, that campagin was made for like SP3 or 4 -- probably no higher than the 06 patch level. That's more than likely the issue; needs updating (read: total rebuild). Most assurdly will probably NOT work in SF2V

wrench

kevin stein

Yes, WoV and stock terrain. Problem happens repeatedly in both campaign and single missions. I'll try what was suggested in the above post and see what happens.

Yes, WoV and stock terrain. Problem happens repeatedly in both campaign and single missions. I'll try what was suggested in the above post and see what happens.

Well, no joy on the above. Strange thing is that in the VIETNAMSEA_TARGETS.ini file ALL airbases (both friendly and enemy) use VIETNAMSEA_AIRFIELD1, 2, etc. .ini files.

Why the NVAF aircraft are treated differently from the US aircraft, when they are both using the same airfield.ini files, is beyond me.

(BTW the .cat file does include airfield1.ini, airfield2.ini, etc. but if I try to use those (instead of the vietnamsea_airfield entries), then ALL aircraft (both NVAF and US) have the problem I described.

Unless somebody has a better idea, I give up and will begin all missions in the air.

Well, no joy on the above. Strange thing is that in the VIETNAMSEA_TARGETS.ini file ALL airbases (both friendly and enemy) use VIETNAMSEA_AIRFIELD1, 2, etc. .ini files.

Why the NVAF aircraft are treated differently from the US aircraft, when they are both using the same airfield.ini files, is beyond me.

(BTW the .cat file does include airfield1.ini, airfield2.ini, etc. but if I try to use those (instead of the vietnamsea_airfield entries), then ALL aircraft (both NVAF and US) have the problem I described.

Unless somebody has a better idea, I give up and will begin all missions in the air.

My targets.ini file for WOV has entries like this for the enemy airbases:

[TargetArea120]

Name=Noi Bai Airfield

Position=498000.00,804000.00

Radius=2828

ActiveYear=0

Location=3

Alignment=ENEMY

AirfieldDataFile=vietnamSEA_NVairfield6.ini

NumSquadrons=6

Target[001].Type=Runway6

Target[001].Offset=0.00,0.00

Target[001].Heading=90

I removed the NV and I was able to fly red on the WOV terrrain. Check your _targets.ini again...

My targets.ini file for WOV has entries like this for the enemy airbases:

[TargetArea120]

Name=Noi Bai Airfield

Position=498000.00,804000.00

Radius=2828

ActiveYear=0

Location=3

Alignment=ENEMY

AirfieldDataFile=vietnamSEA_NVairfield6.ini

NumSquadrons=6

Target[001].Type=Runway6

Target[001].Offset=0.00,0.00

Target[001].Heading=90

I removed the NV and I was able to fly red on the WOV terrrain. Check your _targets.ini again...

Ahah! The lightbulb over my head just exploded...

Many thanks!!!