Sign in to follow this  
Rick Rawlings

Couple of items I'd like to discuss...

Over the last several hundred flights, a few issues have come up...

1. Hospital. I reckon this has not worked since about 1.28 or so. Has anybody been to the hospital lately? I have been plenty wounded, but if want to simulate this, I have to manually advance time. Any info?

2. Stealing kills. If you want to get credit for your kills, you really have to follow them all the way in, because your wingmen, or even other friendly flights, love to swoop in at the last second and put a little burst in to your bird and steal it. I had this happen today when I was riding a Halberstadt in a climb, pumped enough lead into him to explode the engine and watched as he started on the way to the ground, only to have one of my wingman pop a little burst into him right above the treeline. Guess who got credit? Is there any way to work in a joint or shared kill system, or figure who does the most damage to a crate to award the kill?

3. Automatic dead crash landings. If I ever have damage to my wing, even if I can fly the plane, I always roll and die on landing. This happens so frequently that today I clipped a wing, was well enough to finish the fight, but knew that I would crash and die on landing. I made it back to a friendly aerodrome, leveled out at 5000 feet and cut the power to see how the crate would handle at stall speed. After practicing a bit, I came in low at full power, cut the engine a few feet above the field and settled in. Sure enough, at about 25 mph, the plane rolled and *boom* dead pilot. Currently the only way to avoid this seems to be to end the mission just as you touch down, but it would be nice if this automatic roll and death behavior was not so predictable. Is there anyway to teak the behavior of the plane? It seems as if it does not recognize that the gear are on the ground and stall-rolls the plane as if it were in the air. I don't care how bad the damage is, I don't think there is enough lift on one side of a wing to roll a SPAD at 25 mph under any circumstances.

4. A.I. Flight characteristics. Any way to tweak the A.I. flight behavior so it adheres to our restrictions. I have never seen an enemy plane break up under stress. Normally this isn't too noticable as I normally fly N17's and the Albatross I am up against should be able to out-dive me. I do, however, notice that all my wingmen are able to get to the ground well before me when the enemy dives away from us. I did not notice how bad it was, however, until I tried an American career. When I dove away at full speed from some Fokker DVII's only to find them gaining on me in the dive, well, I don't know how anyone can survive any length of time under those conditions.

Anybody else notice these things and is there anything that can be practically done about them?

Thanks for reading!

RR

I crashed today and spent 18 days in the hospital. Ver 1.30c with the intermediate damage model by Herr Prop-Wasche and Fortiesboy.

Some of your other complaints are valid, but what can be done about them? Who knows but the Devs. As long as were venting about things we don't like; my favorite dislike is the AI ability to fly in the clouds.

I crashed today and spent 18 days in the hospital. Ver 1.30c with the intermediate damage model by Herr Prop-Wasche and Fortiesboy.

Some of your other complaints are valid, but what can be done about them? Who knows but the Devs. As long as were venting about things we don't like; my favorite dislike is the AI ability to fly in the clouds.

Well, obviously, I would love for them to chime in! I'm amazed to hear about the hospital, though. Both before and after a clean re-install I either die instantly or am completely unharmed, regardless of what happens on the screen.

I agree with you about the clouds, but it isn't a show-stopper like the AI problems. It's most harmful when you a) come out of warp in the middle of a cloud or b) get the cloud-crushing effect outside of a cloud. Otherwise, you can avoid them. Unfortunately, however, if you wish to have a career you have to be able to a) land successfully and b) get out of the fight. Those are my main flying gripes. The kill stealing and lack of hospital are more of minor, but curious annoyances!

RR

I have minor issues I ran into as well. In the OFF manager the distances are stated in miles but are actually kilometers... And I'm positive Ypres went missing... I know it was (wrongfully) located amongst all the ballieul aerodromes. But I went on a mission last night and there was only a couple houses there. I don't remember seeing it next to the front either (in its rightful location) on the mission... did it disappear or am I going crazy...

Over the last several hundred flights, a few issues have come up...

1. Hospital. I reckon this has not worked since about 1.28 or so. Has anybody been to the hospital lately? I have been plenty wounded, but if want to simulate this, I have to manually advance time. Any info?

2. Stealing kills. If you want to get credit for your kills, you really have to follow them all the way in, because your wingmen, or even other friendly flights, love to swoop in at the last second and put a little burst in to your bird and steal it. I had this happen today when I was riding a Halberstadt in a climb, pumped enough lead into him to explode the engine and watched as he started on the way to the ground, only to have one of my wingman pop a little burst into him right above the treeline. Guess who got credit? Is there any way to work in a joint or shared kill system, or figure who does the most damage to a crate to award the kill?

3. Automatic dead crash landings. If I ever have damage to my wing, even if I can fly the plane, I always roll and die on landing. This happens so frequently that today I clipped a wing, was well enough to finish the fight, but knew that I would crash and die on landing. I made it back to a friendly aerodrome, leveled out at 5000 feet and cut the power to see how the crate would handle at stall speed. After practicing a bit, I came in low at full power, cut the engine a few feet above the field and settled in. Sure enough, at about 25 mph, the plane rolled and *boom* dead pilot. Currently the only way to avoid this seems to be to end the mission just as you touch down, but it would be nice if this automatic roll and death behavior was not so predictable. Is there anyway to teak the behavior of the plane? It seems as if it does not recognize that the gear are on the ground and stall-rolls the plane as if it were in the air. I don't care how bad the damage is, I don't think there is enough lift on one side of a wing to roll a SPAD at 25 mph under any circumstances.

4. A.I. Flight characteristics. Any way to tweak the A.I. flight behavior so it adheres to our restrictions. I have never seen an enemy plane break up under stress. Normally this isn't too noticable as I normally fly N17's and the Albatross I am up against should be able to out-dive me. I do, however, notice that all my wingmen are able to get to the ground well before me when the enemy dives away from us. I did not notice how bad it was, however, until I tried an American career. When I dove away at full speed from some Fokker DVII's only to find them gaining on me in the dive, well, I don't know how anyone can survive any length of time under those conditions.

Anybody else notice these things and is there anything that can be practically done about them?

Thanks for reading!

RR

1) Works fine here...what are your workshop settings?

2) Make sure you kill the craft and follow it down - or assign wingies to other targets.....

3) If your landing gear is damaged you will crash on landing - if your gear is not damaged and only the wing is (alas its hard to tell visually on the gear as its the struts) ... then you will be able to land.

4) You are now venturing into P4 territory but I will leave that for a future announcement. However the D7 is one of the best craft in the war so it is hard to lose it in a dive - best to turn fight it.

HTH

WM

1) Works fine here...what are your workshop settings?

2) Make sure you kill the craft and follow it down - or assign wingies to other targets.....

3) If your landing gear is damaged you will crash on landing - if your gear is not damaged and only the wing is (alas its hard to tell visually on the gear as its the struts) ... then you will be able to land.

4) You are now venturing into P4 territory but I will leave that for a future announcement. However the D7 is one of the best craft in the war so it is hard to lose it in a dive - best to turn fight it.

HTH

WM

Thanks Winder, this is the kind of stuff I was looking for. Before I go over them I want to remind you that I am aware that this is the best flight sim for immersion since RB1!

1. Not sure what all the settings are here at lunch, I will try to check them at home in the near future. I know that I have mission duty set to light, time advance manual. I have a total realism of 110%, using auto mixture and I think normal on a.i. fire range.

I have also seen posts from other people that were surprised when I mentioned that there was a hospital, so apparently some setting takes it out.

2. I can live with this, I was just hoping that there was some nice way to not be so blood thirsty... :)

3. This would make sense but, specifically, the last time it happened (I have been watching as it is a frequent occurance) the only damage I suffered was to my left wing tip (red damage labels are on). I was able to fly almost normally, just a slight dip to the left wing if I released pressure on the stick. Nevertheless, flipped and died on the ground at twenty-four miles an hour (z key) after touching down level. As an added point, are all crash landings fatal? Maybe this is tied into my hospital not working somehow?

4. Turn fight it?!? In a SPAD!?!?! :)

Thanks for the responses!

RR

ps, I look forward to P4!

edit for 2 spelling mistake(s) that I spotted (so far!)

Edited by Rick Rawlings