Sign in to follow this  
Falcon Six Two

Need Help W/ Taxing

As the title says..........I need help with taxing around the airport. I really can't taxi anywhere and IDK how you guys do it. Could you please shed some light on your secrets? Thanks. :D

Hey Falcon

What I do is this: Go to the menu bar at the top, and get to the option for selecting a "New View". Choose the "Top Down" view. That will place in the top left portion of your screen, a small map of the airfield you are on, viewed from the top. Your aircraft will be marked as a red "X". Simply move your aircraft, and follow the taxiways, using the small map. Then, once you are on the runway you want, you can close that Top Down View. Works good for me, and saves having to go all over the darn airfield, looking for the end of a runway.

There may be a better way to accomplish this, but hey, I am experimenting!

Navychief

Ctrl + S will give you the same view.

what type of controler are you using for MS? I have a Saitek X-45 and it works very nice. The separate speed controler really helps.

I have a X-35 with Software for sale if your interested?

You could always turn on the taxi helper thing... You can do it from the ATC window, once you get permission to taxi.

Believe it or not, I don't use any of those flight control systems. I use a handy Saitek ST90! It has its own digital throttle so it's pretty good on its own TY very much. So my main problem is finding the right speed and I have to get the hang of the damn rudders. Argh!!!!! Why is this game so hard???? LOL!!! TY all!!!!

Falcon Six Two, I know what you mean about the rudder controls. I have an X45 which has a rocker type switch for the rudder control, but it sends me all over the place when I use it. I've toyed with the sensitivity and deadband till I'm blue in the face, and still no luck. So, what I do is use the stick to steer. Don't know if it works in all the planes, but I know it works in the Baron and the Cessna. Just a small left or right pressure on the stick and the plane controls fine, especially the Cessna which has a pull to the left due to the prop action.

Hey Boltz,

I have an X45 also and the secret to the rudder is a light touch on the rocker,just enough to get the nose to move.

Falcon if your problem is speed just move your thottle until you get moving then back off.You might have to add more power on a long stretch but it will keep you speed managable.I learned that back when I had the very first version of FS for the Commodore 64. Yeah it's been that long since I had any kind of PC. <_<

By all means get the X45 it's worth the price and makes flying that much more fun.

firehawkordy, may I ask what you have your settings at in the sensitivity section for the rudder control. It seems like no matter what I do, the plane always over-reacts to the point I'm sure it looks like I'm doing combat zig-zag running down the runway. Maybe I just need to practice, but a starting point would be nice. Thanks :D

Boltz,

I have my settings at default. As I'm learning to use this Sim I have it set to medium difficulty. I just use a little twitch here and there and try to keep my speed down. My problem right now is that I have no jet engine sounds or ATC voices playing. I get an unknown error in WMA and I just d/l'ed the most recent codecs. Help anyone?

Thanks firehawkordy, I'll give the default with a twitch a try. Strange you lost jet engine, atc sounds. Did this happen after you downloaded the new codecs? I know this sounds silly, but are you sure your sound is turned up. Another thing you might want to check is the output and make sure it's going to your speakers and not headphones or something. Dunno, pretty weird. Good luck with it.

Boltz,

Yes I checked all the above,I get the wheel rumble and landing chirp plus the sound for the recipricating engines.All I get is a "pop" when ATC broadcasts.I did get an error msg. when I tried to play certain sounds in Media player,but being Microsoft, it's unid'ed and thefore no help available. Oh well, I figure it out sooner or later. :rolleyes:

Happy flights and hope your taxi'n gets better.

Rule of thumb is just enough throttle to get moving, and taxi at the speed of a brisk walk, according to Richard L. Collins.

Especially important is the day is windy. You don't want to inadvertently let a gust of wind flip you over.