Sign in to follow this  
Olham

DFW C V with bombs, banking

Searching for pictures of bomb mounts outside the fuselage, I found this picture,

which is (IMHO) a very good shot of a bomber in flight, banking.

Very nice shot, i agree! (coming from the site you find about flieger portraits?)

Probably shot from a camera on a wing strut...we are used to see this nowaday with pocket camera with wide angle on the wing, but at this time, this should have been a pionner experience!

Not sure but i think its a flare cartrige rack (to use with the apropriate pistol) on the side of this plane.

Edited by Snoopy syndrome

Very nice shot, i agree! (coming from the site you find about flieger portraits?)

Probably shot from a camera on a wing strut...we are used to see this nowaday with pocket camera with wide angle on the wing, but at this time, this should have been a pionner experience!

Not sure but i think its a flare cartrige rack (to use with the apropriate pistol) on the side of this plane.

Yes, they look like flare cartridges to me as well.

My guess is the next shot would have been the observer with his hand over his mouth and the next one with him slumped over the side!! :rofl:

I don't think they were flare cartridges. That would have been quite a stretch for the observer to reach them. I think they would have been closer if they were to be reached by him. Just my take on it.

Tony

On second thought this doesn't look right, something about the lighting seems wrong. The shadow of the elevator is up onto the fusilage. The light source should be from above not below. Maybe they used a flash? :imo:

Edited by Typhoon

Very neat photo Olham, but I have a hunch it is a "staged" studio shot. There are at least two very strong light sources judging by the angles and intensity of the shadows being cast onto the fuselage. Also, the background and subject are both nearly perfectly in focus. Unlikely this was taken in flight, but still a neat old pic.

Cheers!

Lou

I don't think they were flare cartridges. That would have been quite a stretch for the observer to reach them. I think they would have been closer if they were to be reached by him. Just my take on it.

Tony

On German Fighter (Fokkers or Albatros for example) especially the squad leaders aircraft, it was very usual to see flare cartridges on the side of the fuselage according to the pics i've seen. I think i've seen a pic of MVR in his DR1 cockpit with that sort of thing. Keep in mind that cockpits were very cramped at this time and it was often more easy to reach something close outside than inside.