Sign in to follow this  
SDirickson

Riddle Me This

So my friend and I were going to go to the local shooting range with two of my father's handguns, something I have done frequently. My friend had never fired a handgun before, so he was looking forward to it.

Being the careful sort I am, I had unloaded the mags, placed the guns and mags seperately in a carrying case, and we both made off ammo-less, figuring we'd pick up some cheap FMJ rounds at the range. Well, we got there, I got a box of .45 and a box of S&W .40 and carried em to the counter, only to be completely shot down because I wasn't 21. So, it is perfectly legal for an 18 year old to shoot whatever he wants at the range, perfectly legal to buy rifle and shotgun ammo, more than perfectly legal to purchase a hunting license, yet he cannot buy cheap target ammo at a controlled range. Not even in Texas.

What crap, Bill of Rights be damned. That s**t ain't right.

Guest MrMudd

It could be the requirements of the range owner and the insurance company that underights their policy. Their not infringing on your constitutional rights and state bylaws as you are participateing on private property.

I had the same issue as a youth that competed on the U.S. Olympic smallbore and Utah state Winter games and the NRA. Being that i was 12 at the time, the sheriff was not too fond of me hoffen it down the street with an Anchutz .22 caliber precision target rifle slung over my shoulder with schoolbooks at 5am to the Shooting range, which believe it or not was in the basement ofthe senior citizens community center. I practiced 50 rds every morning. in both 3 postion and 4 position 50Ft match targets

I also would cross country ski with my rifle on my family's 15 Square mile ranch practicing up for the wintergames, with allot of jogging with the rifle during the summer.

I had to prove to the town mayor that i was an outstanding citizen youth, that was investing into a controlled sporting enviroment. the one thing they did change was that my father drove me to the citizen center-shooting range, as there concern was i would use the rifle in self defense or poor judgement by walking alone with it to the center at the early hours of the morning.

later i moved to the northern part of the state and out of the sticks. where i had Joined a highschool JROTC and we had a shooting range there at the school, hell we would walk down the halls with our match rifles to get in the bus, for match trips, school auditorum for year book pictures. the armory was wide open, we ofton spent lunch breaks cleaning rifles and practice snap drills.

the point im makeing. People tend to trust an established shooting Club or activity that is governed and control.

I bet if you spoke with the owner, attended a prescribed firearms safety class, and started a club at the Citidel, that possibly you could rekindle some trust with the Private shooting range owner. Arrange club nights on the range etc...

Well, my problem isn't so much at the Citadel, but with the great state of Texas. It's a state law that prohibits those under 21 from purchasing handgun ammo, anywhere in the state, be it a range, Academy, wherever.

But I know exactly what you're talking about, people's worries and concerns over seeing any type of weapon in the open. I was in JROTC, and we always had people look at us funny, even when we were just practicing rifle drill on the parking lot outside the school.

Unfortunately, people associate the weapons themselves with danger, not the people who carry them.

Well, my problem isn't so much at the Citadel, but with the great state of Texas. It's a state law that prohibits those under 21 from purchasing handgun ammo, anywhere in the state, be it a range, Academy, wherever.

But I know exactly what you're talking about, people's worries and concerns over seeing any type of weapon in the open. I was in JROTC, and we always had people look at us funny, even when we were just practicing rifle drill on the parking lot outside the school.

Unfortunately, people associate the weapons themselves with danger, not the people who carry them.

Leaving the issue of "gun grabbers" and other political stuff aside, the age issue

reflects the society "bigger picture". I`m sure you`re a responsible and disciplined

guy but just look around!

Like MrMudd said, being a member of the Citadel, you could probably come up

with ideas that would be approved by private or state, local authorities.

Now MrMudd, I was laughing my a** off when I pictured you walking with your

Anshutz at 5 AM past the sheriff`s patrol car! B)

Well you cant get a rental car until yer 25... cant even drive one legally. Totally unrelated I know, but a s**te deal none the less.

Can you buy a rifle at 18??? How bout a handgun???

<C>SAFFELL

Im 46 years old fellas. When I was 16, I used to walk out to the desert near where I lived in Tucson to shoot my wepons. I often walked back to the 7/11 with my .45 on my hip and my winchester over my sholder to get a soda and no one ever said anything including the cops. That was back in 1972-4 when guns werent such an issue. Now if I tried that here in Calif. I'd probably be arrested on the spot for some stupid trumped up malarky. Freedom aint what it used to be young people. Ive seen a LOT of change in 25 years. Speak up before you lose what you got left...

I can buy a rifle or a shotgun at 18, ammo too. No handguns though till 21. It seems to me, the background check they perform on folks when they buy a firearm should be just as accurate for 21 year olds as 18 year olds.

Federal Law prohibits the sale of Handguns to those under 21. I am not sure if that also applies to Handgun ammo, or if it is a State or Local statute. Long Guns (Rifles and Shotguns) are prohibited by the same law to be sold to anyone under 18. Remember, 18 for long guns, 21 for handguns. States have the authority to make these tougher, but not weaker. For instance, Pueblo County Colorado prohibits the sale of handguns to anyone under 25.

Just so you know, Texas or any of the other 49 states will not sell you a handgun under 21. The range policies may/will probably reflect this in their ammo purchase practices.

IMO they let 18yr old purchase shotguns and shells because they think that they aren't used often The no handguns to people under 21 rule IMO is to prevent them from usage in crime. Think. How many crimes are commited with a HANDGUN. Simple really. Hell, I have a few sporting magazines that sell .50 cal MACHINE GUN AMMO AND IT PERFECTLY LEGAL FOR 18YR OLD TO GET IT. As for pistol ammo, forget it. They want you to be 21. In short: people won't let you get handguns & handgun ammo if you're under 21 because handguns are the most widely used and most available guns in crime. This is just my opinion on the matter. Also, it just seems that way.

Yeah, yeah, I'm just bitching. It aggrevates me though that owning a gun is one of our first ammendmant rights and we aren't allowed to exercise it as an adult. Well, as much of an adult as you can be at 18. To me, if you can pass the background check, you shouldn't have any problem owning any sort of weapon. If the checks aren't thorough enough to safely sell handguns, then its the check that should be changed not the age to buy. Besides, anyone that needs a weapon to commit a crime is gonna find a way to get one, regardless of the laws.

But, to be honest, I don't particularly care. Amny of the laws are f***ed up, but there is nothing I can do to change em yet. And because I'm not, nor can I change anything, I'm just gonna stop bitching, cuz that don't help niether.

Yeah, yeah, I'm just bitching. It aggrevates me though that owning a gun is one of our first ammendmant rights and we aren't allowed to exercise it as an adult.

Second, actually ;)

but I understand what you're saying. While I have no need for a handgun, I do have a shotgun or two. Technically, my dad owns them, but he never uses them. Its just the dang politics. A few people are stupid, the rest of us have to pay.

And to get into the politics, I've never seen the use of those waiting periods. I mean, if someones going to commit an armed crime, they're gonna get a gun some way or another.

You're old enough to die for your country. You're old enough to vote for President of The United States. You're old enough to carry a gun WITH bullets! I started shooting when I was six years old. Haven't killed anyone yet. Not by accident anyway. :D

"The price of liberty is eternal vigilance."

Federal Law prohibits the sale of Handguns to those under 21.  I am not sure if that also applies to Handgun ammo, or if it is a State or Local statute.  Long Guns (Rifles and Shotguns) are prohibited by the same law to be sold to anyone under 18.  Remember, 18 for long guns, 21 for handguns.  States have the authority to make these tougher, but not weaker.  For instance, Pueblo County Colorado prohibits the sale of handguns to anyone under 25.

Just so you know, Texas or any of the other 49 states will not sell you a handgun under 21.  The range policies may/will probably reflect this in their ammo purchase practices.

Yup, I lived in TX for about 20 years, the law was always...25 and under could not buy handguns or ammo for them. Now I live out in arizona were everyoone has one it seems.

Second, actually

lol, yeah, crap. For some reason I was thinking the whole Bill of Rights was part of the first ammendmant. Kinda made a fool of myself there.