Sign in to follow this  
Duce Lewis

Memorial Day Gift

I haven't been around much lately

You see, my Dad is responsible for placing flags on veteran's graves in our town

I've been busy the last 2 weeks updating all the check lists

It's sad how many vets we lose in a year

Dad & his American Legion buddies do most of the flag planting but I manage to get out on several search missions too

I've always made it my goal to find at least 1 new Revolutionary War Vet each year

Tomorrow's our last day and we've got about 5 vets to find yet ...they hide

It wasn't looking good, not gonna be any new Rev War Vets this time

I took a break and started googling this guys name ...he's a possiblity

cem3026.jpg

Philo Holbrook, he passed away April 1, 1813, Age 56

JACKPOT!!!

It turns out a very dedicated lady in the next town has been researching cemetaries in the local 7 town area

She doesn't even live here anymore

She moved to Georgia but still loves her hometown area

Pictures and all ...the 1 above came from her website (that's 1 of our flags in the background)

Hmmph, only 1 Revolutionary War Vet ...there's probably a dozen!

And she posted the 1934 Hale Inscription too

They don't list the headstone names alphebetically but as they appear along each row

Now I'll be able to find illegeable names by counting back from names I can read

Time to get out my flashlights and statrt running around cemetaries at night again :shout: Woohooooo!!!

Oh, and that Memorial Day Gift I mentioned in the title ...it's the freedom and security that these heroes, and those fighting for freedom all over the world, have sacrificed to give to us

Thanks for letting me share,

no duce thank you for shareing, and bless you, your father, and allhis buddies,this is one old jar head that says thank you and <salute>

First rate efforts, Duce.

A few years back, I lived a few blocks from the veterans memorial cemetary in Santa Rosa and decided to take a walk down there one memorial day weekend as I had noticed all the flags along the perimeter. As I entered thr gates I was appaled. All the small flags at the headstones were haphazardly placed, leaning all directions, some even touching the ground. I knew right then what I had to do. I immediatly returned home to do some research on flag ettiquite concerning grave markers. From what I gathered, the flags were to be placed one boot length from the headstone, direct center. I then procceeded to polish my corchorans to a mirror finish and waited till after dark to return to the cemetary to begin my task, as I figured the workers wouldnt appreciate my presence, even though they apparently took no pride in the job. It was a large cemetary and I was barely able to sneak back out just before daylight, all flags standing proudly. Some people might have found it creepy to be roaming around a graveyard in the dark, but somehow I felt very safe in the presence of these men.

I kept this up for the remaining time that I lived there, and every year after that I had grown a large patch of poppys in my back yard in which I had painted a small sign and named it "Flanders field", and each WW1 veteran along with his flag recieved a single red poppy and a salute.

It was the least I could do for them, considering what they had done for me.

Lately I am saddened by how I hear all the commercials on television and on the radio about how its "the beggining of summer" and all the blowout sales, with no mention of what the holiday represents. I AM SURE that all here who read this need no reminder, but as you are munchin on that burger and drinking that beer, take a moment to say thanks to all those brave men.

Have a safe holiday, gentlemen.

~S~

Thanks Bullet, gwar, Tony,

We got it done yesterday

All the veterans got there flags

...even Philo for the 1st tim in many years

A few years back, I lived a few blocks from the veterans memorial cemetary in Santa Rosa and decided to take a walk down there one memorial day weekend as I had noticed all the flags along the perimeter. As I entered thr gates I was appaled. All the small flags at the headstones were haphazardly placed, leaning all directions, some even touching the ground. I knew right then what I had to do. I immediatly returned home to do some research on flag ettiquite concerning grave markers. From what I gathered, the flags were to be placed one boot length from the headstone, direct center. I then procceeded to polish my corchorans to a mirror finish and waited till after dark to return to the cemetary to begin my task, as I figured the workers wouldnt appreciate my presence, even though they apparently took no pride in the job. It was a large cemetary and I was barely able to sneak back out just before daylight, all flags standing proudly. Some people might have found it creepy to be roaming around a graveyard in the dark, but somehow I felt very safe in the presence of these men.

I kept this up for the remaining time that I lived there, and every year after that I had grown a large patch of poppys in my back yard in which I had painted a small sign and named it "Flanders field", and each WW1 veteran along with his flag recieved a single red poppy and a salute.

It was the least I could do for them, considering what they had done for me.

Have a safe holiday, gentlemen.

~S~

gwar,

You remind me of my father

Can't tell you how many times I have heard "Put that screwdriver in straight"

We use a large Philips Head screwdriver to create a hole for the flag

It's diameter is slightly smaller than the flag shank and if you push it to the hilt, the depth is just right

Thanks for the flag placemnt info

Unfortunately cemetary flags have 1 big nemesis ...lawnmowers

We clean up broken, stained flags all the time

Our placement approach is a lttle pragmatic because of this

We try to plant them out of the lawnmowers main path

Cheers all

Happy Memorial Day,

I must admit, I have the utmost respect for you guys. I don't go put the flags out. Being a vet myself, I guess I should make it a point to start. It's probably a little late now, but I can get with the VFW and take my little boy with me next year. I really want him to know about the thousands who made the ultimate sacrifice so we can enjoy the freedom we have.

Before I had to quit work to take care of the Missus, I would go to the local cemetery to eat my lunch because it was always quiet and peaceful in contrast to the noise of the steel fab shop where I worked. I noticed one day that the flags on some of the graves were tattered, leaning or even fallen. I walked around the cemetery and corrected as many as I could during my lunch break, but didn't get close to finishing, so It was something I started doing every day at lunch. Flags that were tattered I removed and disposed of properly by burning. Some may not agree but the Confederate vets get the same respect albeit with the Stars and Bars.

You guys have inspired me to do more. Thank you.

Edited by Cameljockey

There is a small old family cemetery about 1/4 mile from my home, and nearly every Memorial Day for the last 25 years we would walk over with the kids and clear off the few plots that are there and place wild flowers on them. One of the graves is of a WW1 soilder who, from the date on the stone, must have died "over there". I would often stand and give him a salute, one soldier to another. My youngest daughter will now be going off to college this fall, but last night as she was heading out the door to a party she said, "Are you going over to the cemetery tomorrow, because I'd like to come with you."

It brought a tear to my eye.

A safe, meaningful, and blessed Memorial Day to you all.

Salute!

Lou

I don't go put the flags out. Being a vet myself, I guess I should make it a point to start. It's probably a little late now, but I can get with the VFW and take my little boy with me next year. I really want him to know about the thousands who made the ultimate sacrifice so we can enjoy the freedom we have.

CJ, I'm sure your local Post would love to have you

They're probably understaffed as it is

Sadly, some localities have stopped placing flags all together

And Stumpy, sorry for bolixing your name up earlier

Thank you sir for your service

I drink to their shades :drinks_drunk:. While nearly every day I remember friends not present, today is really a day when the ghosts come to visit en masse, from every clime and place.

And Camel Jockey's signature pic reminds me of 1 ghost in particular.....

... They battled up Iwo Jima's hill,

Two hundred and fifty men

But only twenty-seven lived

To walk back down again

And when the fight was over

And Old Glory proudly raised

Among the men who held her high

Was the Indian, Ira Hayes

([CHORUS)

Call him drunken Ira Hayes

He won't answer anymore

Not the whiskey drinkin' Indian