Sign in to follow this  
Womenfly2

Some "Blue Max" movie info ...,

423px-BlueMax_poster.jpg

The cast of the 1966 movie The Blue Max- Where are they now?

Sadly, the following members of the cast are no longer with us.

Leading man George Peppard who played Bruno Stachel sadly died of Leukemia in 1994, aged 66. Peppard earned a private pilot's license during filming, offering to fly some of the vintage aircraft himself.

James Mason, who played General Von Klugermann, died suddenly of a heart attack, aged 75, in 1984. Mason was a conscientious objector during WW2.

English actor Peter Woodthorpe, who played NCO Rupp and to grumpily has to drive Stachel on a motorcyle & sidecar through the pouring rain to vainly search for evidence of the latter's first kill, died in 2004, aged 73. The character of Rupp plays a much larger role in the novel than he does in the film.

German-born, UK-based actor Anton Diffring, who played General Von Klugermann's assistant Holbach, died in 1989, aged 71. Diffring, who was born in Koblenz, Germany, was a three-week old baby when WW1 ended in 1918.

English actor Derek Newark, who played Chief Mechanic Ziegel, passed away in 1998, aged 65.

Polish-born actor Friedrich von Ledebur, who briefly appeared as The Field-Marshall, died in 1986, aged 86. During WW1, 16-year-old Friedrich enlisted in the Austro-Hungarian Army in 1916 and later served as an officer in the Cavalry.

Charles Boddington, one of the senior stunt pilots who worked on the film, lost his life in 1971 when he crashed a replica SE5 during filming of the movie Von Richthofen & Brown.

Frank McCarthy , the American artist, illustrator and graphic designer who produced the poster for the film (see above), died of Lung Cancer in 2002, aged 78. He illustrated the posters for many famous films, including The Dirty Dozen, The Great Escape, The Ten Commandments and several of the James Bond films. He is also well-known for his Western Paintings and he was a member of the Cowboy Artists Guild of America.

Jerry Goldsmith, the American composer of the film's score, passed away in 2004 at the age of 75. A prolific and much-admired composer, he wrote the musical scores for close to 200 films between 1957 and 2003, including The Omen (for which he won an Academy Award), The Agony & the Ecstasy, First Blood and most of the Star Trek films. He was nominated for Oscars another 17 times during his career.

On a happier note, the following cast members are still with us:

Ursula Andress, the Swiss actress who played Countess Kaeti von Klugermann, celebrated her 73rd birthday last month and is still as elegant and beautiful as ever. Everyone remembers her for walking out of the ocean in a white bikini in the James Bond movie Dr No but I choose her bath-towel scene in the Blue Max as her sexiest moment.

English actor Jeremy Kemp, who played Willi von Klugermann, is 74 years-old and still going strong.

German actor Karl Michael-Volger, who played Hauptmann Otto Heidemann (and who also played General Rommel in the movie Patton), is 81 years-old and living in Germany.

Northern-Irish actor Harry Towb, who played adjutant Kettering, is 83 years-old and still working. He appeared in two episodes of the long-running British TV soap-opera Eastenders in December 2008. Kettering is another Blue Max character who is given a smaller role in the film than he has in the original novel.

English-actor Derren Nesbitt, who played Fabian, is 73 years-old. He recently appeared in the movie Flawless in 2007. He was almost blinded whilst filming the movie Where Eagles Dare in 1968 when squibs in his chest designed to stimulate the impact of bullets, accidentally exploded upwards into his face instead of outwards as they were supposed to. He was arrested for physically-harming his first wife in 1973 after she confessed to having an affair and he was convicted of assault. He now lives with his second wife in the UK.

Douglas Slocombe, the Cinematographer for The Blue Max, is 96 years-old and lives in West London with his wife. He was nominated for a BAFTA award for his work on the Blue Max and was nominated for an Oscar for three other films. He won the British Cinematographers Lifetime Achievement Award in 1995 and was awarded an OBE last year. He has been Cinematographer for over 50 films, including the first three Indiana Jones movies for Steven Speilberg. Born in 1913, Slocombe would have been a five-year-old boy when the real-life events depicted in The Blue Max would have taken place.

John Guillermin, who was Director of the Blue Max, is 83 years-old and is retired and living in the UK.

Stunt Pilot Derek Piggott, who flew the Fokker Dr 1 under a bridge during the filming of the Stachel versus Willi scene, is 86 years-old and living in the UK. He has amassed 10,000 hours in the air as a pilot of both powered aircraft and gliders.

Enjoy,

WF2

View original here.

Edited by Womenfly2

Interesting information, WF2, I'd read something only recently on one of the contributors who'd passed away.

You made me look at that poster again, it's either me or it's artistic licence but the main Dr1 seems to be missing its middle wings.

You made me look at that poster again, it's either me or it's artistic license but the main Dr1 seems to be missing its middle wings.

..... not only the middle wing Dej, but, the upper one too! ... no struts. You will see this in the movie when close-ups are shot. Parts of the plane were remove for a clearer shot, don't you just love Holliewoooood!

Ahaaaaaa ...... memories.

LOL,

WF2

Here's a photo of Karl Michael Vogler today.

He often played the typical Nazi officer in films, but loves the theater.

I really enjoyed him in "The Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines", together with Gert Fröbe

as a German officer duo, where these two great actors could show, that Germans too have humour.

You made me look at that poster again, it's either me or it's artistic licence but the main Dr1 seems to be missing its middle wings.

That explains the grimace on his face! :biggrin:

I'm glad to see that Jeremy Kemp is still with us. He had a touch for playing semi-villianous, but still likeable, characters.

What isn't mentioned here -- and the reason for The Aerodrome post which was not written by WF2 -- is that Jack D. Hunter, who wrote the novel "The Blue Max" died April 13.

"The Blue Max" was his first novel and, although he wrote many more, is the one he is remembered for.

As is usually the case, the novel is much deeper than the movie (how much can you say in a two-hour film?). I highly recommend it.

Nice to know Ursula is still with us and still (relatively) hot. Forget the "towel scene" in TBM, though. Her bikini scene in Dr. No is an icon of sexy entrances in a movie.

Sri, Olham, but "humor" (Yank spelling) and "German" are contradictory terms. I'm a film buff and I can't even think of a German comedy. :umnik2:

Tony

Edited by tttiger

Well, tttiger, that may be because some of the best German comedy was made by Germans,

going to the USA, when Hitler and his brown hordes appeared.

Billy Wilder was in fact a native Berliner, who had spent his days of youth as a giggolo (yes,

Germans can even be giggolos). He used all his experiences as a night owl in his movies

like "Some like it hot". Don't know about you, but I found them full of good humour.

And here's the fantastic Gert Froebe from the movie "Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4fVp-hEPOk&NR=1

(But I admit: we definitely are not the World Champions of humour. I'd vote for the Brits, there).

Well, tttiger, that may be because some of the best German comedy was made by Germans,

going to the USA, when Hitler and his brown hordes appeared.

Billy Wilder was in fact a native Berliner, who had spent his days of youth as a giggolo (yes,

Germans can even be giggolos). He used all his experiences as a night owl in his movies

like "Some like it hot". Don't know about you, but I found them full of good humour.

And here's the fantastic Gert Froebe from the movie "Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4fVp-hEPOk&NR=1

(But I admit: we definitely are not the World Champions of humour. I'd vote for the Brits, there).

In this movie, the Germans (and ultimately every nationality) are the butt of the joke (you knew from the very start of the balloon scene that the uniquely, iconic pointed German helmet was going to puncture the balloon; it was only a question of when...). They aren't inherently funny.

Actually, my very favorite scene in "Magnificent Men" is when Froebe (who is not a pilot) must fly the German plane because his pilot was poisoned and "a German officer can do anything."

He climbs into the plane, and, standing up, opens the manual, reading aloud: "Number 1. Sit Down." So, he sits down.

"By the book" probably is why Germany has so many great engineers and so few comedians.

Froebe is best known in the U.S. for the line, "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die." Not exactly the punch line to a joke.

I admit, Billy Wilder was an exception and he both wrote and directed his many wonderful films.

But Fritz Lang was more typical of a great German film maker.

ttt

Edited by tttiger

Yes, agreed, tttiger. As I said: we are not famous for our humour.

German film business lost a lot through the upcoming Nazis, and maybe hasn't recovered from that, ever.

A good German comedian was Loriot, who only made two cinema movies (and lots on TV).

But I don't think, they where released abroad.

WF2,

Not sure if this will interest you, but one of the motorcyclists in "the blue max" is the dad of a friend of mine, and is still very much alive (George Quaile), although I have had a quick look at the cast and have not been able to find the motorcyclists listed on IMDB, although I have found that the movie was shot in Ireland which would tie in with his dad.

I would be interested if anyone could supply a list of the Motorcyclists in the film, as at this time of night (2340 in England) I can't be bothered playing the DVD just to watch the credits, perhaps tomorrow during the day.

If you are interested I can email him and see if he has any memories of the movie and the main actors?

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

I'd like to know (referring to the poster and the movie), how they got the ammunition in and the empty shells out without feed and ejection chutes on the guns? There aren't even any ammo belts!

CJ

Ursula Andress seemed to love appearing nude or semi-nude in films. In "A Shot in the Dark" (Peter Sellers second turn as Inspector Clouseau) she played a maid for whom the silly sleuth falls and shares three or four scenes sans clothing. If I'm not mistaken she and Sellars were husband and wife when the film was shot.

Ursula Andress seemed to love appearing nude or semi-nude in films. In "A Shot in the Dark" (Peter Sellers second turn as Inspector Clouseau) she played a maid for whom the silly sleuth falls and shares three or four scenes sans clothing. If I'm not mistaken she and Sellars were husband and wife when the film was shot.

Huh???

The maid in "Shot in the Dark" was Elke Sommer, a humorless German. One of Olham's people :dntknw:

Ursula is Swiss and thus much funnier. :rofl:

Sellers was married to Britt Ekland, who was Swedish. :mellow:

I know, those Europeans all look alike to me, too. :rolleyes:

von Baur, go to the blackboard and write "Google" 1,000 times. Everything you posted was incorrect. This stuff is soooo easy to check.... :good:

CJ, it's a frigging movie poster, not an engineering drawing. And since it doesn't show Rubyfan's friend's father on a motorcycle, we can all stipulate it's inaccurate. Lighten up! :blink:

ttt

Edited by tttiger

von Baur: Ursula Andress seemed to love appearing nude or semi-nude in films.

Wellllll - actors often perform, what they can do BEST...

Hey, tttiger - Elke may appear humourless, but wasn't she quite cute? Women hardly EVER have humour, I think.

And what about Lieselotte Pulver - have you seen Wilder's "One Two Three" ?

She was funny AND shweeeeet!

von Baur: Ursula Andress seemed to love appearing nude or semi-nude in films.

Wellllll - actors often perform, what they can do BEST...

Hey, tttiger - Elke may appear humourless, but wasn't she quite cute? Women hardly EVER have humour, I think.

And what about Lieselotte Pulver - have you seen Wilder's "One Two Three" ?

She was funny AND shweeeeet!

Would that be Frau Ingeborg? Ringa ding ding! Excellent movie. I thought my wife and I were the only one's who'd seen it. Got it on video .

I did it to them before they did it to me. Is old Russian proverb.

:blush:

:notworthy:

I've been wrong before, but not about so much after having said so little. Did I get anything right in that post tttiger?

Seriously though, thank you for correcting me. I won't make those mistakes again.

(How in the world could I have mistaken Elke Sommer for Ursula Andress?)

tttiger, with all due respect, you didn't read my post correctly or chose to omit the fact that I said, and I quote "(referring to the poster and the movie)".

The guns were the same way IN THE MOVIE. Look closer next time you see it. Or better yet, watch the trailer.

Lighten up yourself.

CJ

Edited by Cameljockey

tttiger, with all due respect, you didn't read my post correctly or chose to omit the fact that I said, and I quote "(referring to the poster and the movie)".

The guns were the same way IN THE MOVIE. Look closer next time you see it. Or better yet, watch the trailer.

Lighten up yourself.

CJ

Cameljockey,

Very well put with regards to ttiger lightening up, although I think ttiger has been getting too much training from the Uncleal that we had at simouthouse.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Lighten up yourself.

CJ

CJ, with all due respect (I've never quite understood what that term means: How much respect is anyone due? :dntknw: ):

If you watch the trailer, it's true that you can't see a feed chute or belt feeding the MGs but I'm not sure you would see them at the camera angles that were used anyway.

What you can see, very clearly, are the empty cartridge cases flying out when the guns are fired.

Watch the first few seconds of the trailer showing the German troops advancing. As a gun collector, I immediately spotted the WWI Germans are carrying WWII-vintage British Enfield No. 4 rifles with Korean War vintage blade (No. 9) bayonets.

So what? It's not really important to telling the story. Those probably are Irish troops disguised as Germans (cheap extras) anyway and that's what the Irish troops carried post WWII: Surplus British Enfields.

Okay, if you want to be totally anal and pick "Blue Max" nits all day, try these:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060177/goofs

It's just a movie, folks.

ttt

Edited by tttiger

It's just a movie, folks. Right - and the story was told well, considering it's time.

Since Hollywood often doesn't seem to know where to get new stories from (and so re-do good movies

from the 50s and 60s), let's all just hope, that they may re-do "The Blue Max", or turn good books

like Udet's, or "Sagittarius Rising" into a movie - with replicas, that are copying the REAL type of craft.

Does anyone know a flyable replica Albatros DIII or DV / DVa ?

It's just a movie, folks. Right - and the story was told well, considering it's time.

Since Hollywood often doesn't seem to know where to get new stories from (and so re-do good movies

from the 50s and 60s), let's all just hope, that they may re-do "The Blue Max", or turn good books

like Udet's, or "Sagittarius Rising" into a movie - with replicas, that are copying the REAL type of craft.

Does anyone know a flyable replica Albatros DIII or DV / DVa ?

Hi Olham,

I only know of a few, the replica DVa at Old Rhinebeck and two OEF versions but don't know if they are completed yet. The Albatros is a tough bird to replicate because of the fuselage, it would probably be pretty expensive unlike most WWI aircraft replicas which are mostly tube framing. Now if your interested in looking at a few WWI replica kits check out these links

http://www.airdromeairplanes.com/index.html (lots of Fokkers and Nupes) full sized or 3/4 sized...I like the DVIII myself..... maybe one day :rolleyes:

http://www.nieuports.com mostly Nupes but a few others

http://www.loehle.com some WWI the Se5a looks good the SPAD XIII so-so... but the Fokker DVII :rofl:

There are lots more but when I switched computers I lost most of my links, I'll have to hut them down again.

You can't judge a book by its movie. In this case I love them both. They are very different but both great in there own way.

Crossbones