If accepted these where to be operational around 1972.

:ph34r: CL

PhanCat?

TomTom?

GPS navigator?

PhanCat?

TomTom?

GPS navigator?

Exactly what I was thinking after Silverbolts post.

PhantVark?

Ick.

Not a phantom phanboy...but, ick.

FC

Exactly what I was thinking after Silverbolts post.

PhantVark?

:blink: well, i just can think in a flogger

McAir called it the F-4J(FV)S or F-4M(FV)S depending on target customer USN or RN. Was drawn up when the Navy realized F-111B was a waste and tried to capitalize on something like 60% commonality with existing Phantoms. Also planned Spey powered version for the Brits all this along about 1967. never got beyond the drawing board though. oh and btw i might happen to be a Phanatic

Ick.

Not a phantom phanboy...but, ick.

FC

I gagged, Tomcats should not bang Phantoms. Another reason why u stay clear of the big girls. In all my reading I never read such an aircraft and I have very obscure collection that would have such. At most it was a scribbled drawing on a desk. I am sure you could find otherwise on the net, but don't believe everything on the net.

Edited by MAKO69

check out Spirit in the Skies put out by World Air Power Journal in 99 and reprinted with updates around 03 or 04. line drwings and description are back in the variants section. take my 99 copy with me on every deployment.

Okay talk about making the Double Ugly more Ugly???

I think the removal of the anhidral in the stabilator was an attempt to "remove some ugliness".

I'm surprised they didn't straighten the nose too.

I gagged, Tomcats should not bang Phantoms. Another reason why u stay clear of the big girls. In all my reading I never read such an aircraft and I have very obscure collection that would have such. At most it was a scribbled drawing on a desk. I am sure you could find otherwise on the net, but don't believe everything on the net.

Actually, I have at least one book that has the McD line drawings AND McD artists conceptions of that aircraft in service when they pitched the idea. A bit more than a scribbled drawing on a desk.

FC

Actually, I have at least one book that has the McD line drawings AND McD artists conceptions of that aircraft in service when they pitched the idea. A bit more than a scribbled drawing on a desk.

FC

Can you get me the name so I can look it up on Amizon.com would like to see If I could add it to my collection.

For some reason this intrigues the heck outta me! I like this and would love to fly it in the SF/WOX series. Only thing though is Name and designation

Can you get me the name so I can look it up on Amizon.com would like to see If I could add it to my collection.

I'll do better than that:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Secret-Proj...pd_bxgy_b_img_c

I have a few other books in this series...fascinating reading. Don't ever assume you're as well read as you think you are...there are always more sources out there that can be missed. I should know...I still keep finding stuff I've never heard of...

FC

I have a few other books in this series...fascinating reading. Don't ever assume you're as well read as you think you are...there are always more sources out there that can be missed. I should know...I still keep finding stuff I've never heard of...

FC

Oh sweet

This bird looks nice.

FC

Hell yes! I never take a dump without bringing at least one of my Secret Projects books with me :D

The VG F-4 looks like it could be a simple mod. Personally I'd rather see the McDD VFAX proposal with teh integrated triplane layout...

It could work in VX-4 warpaint.

Or flying off the beach as an interceptor.

Edited by charlielima

I like it! I'd love to see it as a what if plane.

I'd rather a Tomcat over a swing-wing Phantom, but ways if improving the Phantom are of definite interest to me, and that would certainly be one way. smile.gif

Not knowing that there would be no World War 3 and that the F-14 would be retired without ever extensively using the Phoenix system in combat, the F-14 was the much better choice. But I think the Navy learned a lot from the F-14 and F-18: better to buy cheap less-capable aircraft and have them than go for the gusto and end up with few or no new planes at all. The F/A-18E was not the plane the Navy wanted, but so far it has held the line until something newer/better can replace it. Whereas the USAF put all of their eggs into the advanced next-gen stealth basket and have had to send all of their pilots into combat flying aircraft with extremely high hours on them and will get practically no return on all the money they spent on the F-22. The Navy has newer Super Hornets and will get F-35s just like the USAF.

With 20/20 hindsight, he F-4 swing-wing could have held the line for a lot less money than F-14 until the Super Hornet took over.

Yes now someone needs to make it.....I have been wondering about the gear though

Not knowing that there would be no World War 3 and that the F-14 would be retired without ever extensively using the Phoenix system in combat, the F-14 was the much better choice. But I think the Navy learned a lot from the F-14 and F-18: better to buy cheap less-capable aircraft and have them than go for the gusto and end up with few or no new planes at all. The F/A-18E was not the plane the Navy wanted, but so far it has held the line until something newer/better can replace it. Whereas the USAF put all of their eggs into the advanced next-gen stealth basket and have had to send all of their pilots into combat flying aircraft with extremely high hours on them and will get practically no return on all the money they spent on the F-22. The Navy has newer Super Hornets and will get F-35s just like the USAF.

With 20/20 hindsight, he F-4 swing-wing could have held the line for a lot less money than F-14 until the Super Hornet took over.

Perhaps....

But the USAF wanted the F-111 to replace the Thud more than the Phantom. And it was the SECDEF that pushed that monetary debacle by trying to force the Navy to use it. I don't see him accepting a swing-wing Phantom as an option, as that still meant different aircraft for the individual forces. And the work done in the vain effort on the F-111 enabled Grumman to pretty much get all the research it needed for the F-14 for free (as much as can be anyway).

So development would not have been any cheaper, and it was the swing wing itself that made the maintenance so costly, which was it's death sentence in the end. The only variable left would be manufacturing cost, I don't think it would have made all that much of a difference really.

And TCO includes more than maintenance as well, it includes fluids and consumables. If SF2 is any indication (and it may not be, but it's all the info I have to go on), the F-14 can go a lot further on 13,000lbs of fuel than the F-4 can. And with the added range of the Phoenix it doesn't have to. Granted, a swing wing would have helped the F-4 in a knife-fight which could have helped it's combat fuel consumption, but... enough? I dunno. It was a triumph of thrust over aero-dynamics after all. ;) So in the end, I suspect the F-14 would be cheaper to operate than a swing-wing Phantom.