Sign in to follow this  
Wildfowler

FS-WW1 Great sim

I have downloaded and run the installer.

I am very impressed by a sim that so obviously has had alot of effort, energy and love poured into it.

A work of art!

The aircraft are a challenge to fly!

The wind sound effects are great. Having flown open cockpit gliders it is most realistic! Mind you I had no engine to listen to then!! :ok:

May I ask a couple of questions and make a couple of observations?

1) The aircraft seem to glide very poorly. If you have no power on they seem to nose down very quickly. I thought these aircraft had good glide qualities.

2) Is there a warp or a time compression facility? For 12 years I was paid by the Royal Air Force and spent most of my time waiting for something to happen or waiting for something to stop happening but I still got paid! :grandpa:

Now I cannot always afford to spend long periods of time behind a spluttering engine waiting for something to happen! Time compression would be a plus for me!!

3) Is there some way we could make a campaign set up? That would also I feel be a plus.

Please do not think I am criticising. Just thinking out loud :salute:

Hello! Glad you are enjoying the sim. :) Indeed it was a labor of love for the WWI era and the SDOE physics engine. To address your questions:

Most early aircraft glided very poorly... Reason being was very high drag from wheels, exposed struts, flat engine cowl area and wires. This is why engine failure was a large cause of fatal accidents and a thing to take very seriously when it happened. If your engine does die, point the nose 15 degrees downward and try to restart or try to get the prop to spin in the wind. Early wooden props could not be featherd so it is better to have the prop rotating to cause less drag.

The SDOE core game does not have time compression. :( Therefore, FS-WWI does not. It is something that is hard-coded into the game and cannot be changed. Very sorry. Many of the missions because of this are set up to get you into the action quickly. Some are not however, this was done to offer a good range of style to cater to the different tastes.

For a campaign set up, what exactly are you meaning? There are linear campaigns under Missions that are designed to be played from the different sides (Pick your side in the Pilot menu). As for adding a dynamic campaign, the original game code does not allow for a dynamic campaign mode and is hard-coded. So we cannot change this and have to make due with what was given us to work with.

Thanks for the reply!

Very interesting about the glide properties! It makes alot of sense! I think some other sims have over done the glide ability.

Time compression cannot be done? Oh well I can live with it! My wifes Grandfather flew in WW1 and told her his experience was 90% of his time was spent bored witless :tumbleweed: , 5% pissed legless :crazy: and the other 5% scared sh--less"! :shok: He also said the caster oil that sprayed back from the engine gave him the sh-ts! Let me see you model that!!!!!! :grin:

Seriously, he transferred to the RFC from the Royal Engineers, flew as an Observer in FE's qualified as a pilot and then flew Sopwith Camel and then SE5A. Stayed in the RAF after war and flew Bristol fighters in Iraq in the 20's/30's. Retired from the RAF a Group Captain in the late 30's and was back in again flying a desk for WW2. Shot down twice, once in France and again by Kurdish rifle fire. He died when my wife was 13 years old. He was her hero and gave her a passion for flying and especially WW1 aircraft. She does all the covering and paint work for my R/C models. I currently have a Fokker EIII and a Bleriot. Working on a Camel and PuP.

I see what you mean now with the campaigns. I am rather tempted to do some mission building myself. Is there away I can upload missions so others can use them?

Cheers

Wow a great piece of history there! Your wife's grandfather was not wrong. I've read many accounts of how there were hours of boredom followed by minutes of terror. You should make sure that history is written down somewhere so it does not get lost with the passing of time. Thanks for sharing! :)

You can upload the mission here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/fighter-squadron-world-war-one

Or e-mail me at ArgonV at AOL dot com and I can host them as well directly at www.fsww1.com

ArgonV:

I want to say "Hats off" to your mod, the planes look absolutely fantastic with all the detail and skins !!!! :ok::clapping::good: I just wish you could combine your SDOE-WWI planes with RB3D's dynamic campaign, and it would outclass a lot of other WWI flight sims.

Thanks again for this great mod;

Panama Red

Edited by Panama Red

ArgonV:

I want to say "Hats off" to your mod, the planes look absolutely fantastic with all the detail and skins !!!! :ok::clapping::good: I just wish you could combine your SDOE-WWI planes with RB3D's dynamic campaign, and it would outclass a lot of other WWI flight sims.

Thanks again for this great mod;

Panama Red

He Panama red still flying RB??? I'm still flying it, not on-line anymore, but only in campaign mode. Got a special P4gameport-Win98se-Voodoo3-MSff standby for this game.

Yep thats only thing what we are missing in this nice game, btw did you try to fly the Sikorsky???  

I downloaded this and tried it today, I'm also very impressed! Its alot of fun, So far i have flown a Jenny off a carrier, did a few training missions and started the Week in 1917 Campaign. My first CAP i managed to shoot down 2 Se 5s and then i crashed but survived.

I love the detail and little things like the mood music and the way the parts break off. Great Job to everyone involved! First Eagles now has some competition for my play time, Thanks to everyone who made this great mod!

Great!!!! :D And thanks.

Today I finally caught up with the new all-in-one install for FS-WW1. Argon, you have done another fantastic job!! AI can fly better and do you lots more damage. Everything looks better than before.All the tweaks you have made really improve things. Love all the extra details you put in, the wind sound, RedBaron-style sirens, the extra ground detail etc. Only been on it a couple of hours so far, so much more to see. The football pitch was a nice touch!!

Someone should really give you an award for your dedication to this sim!!

Thank you for the kind words sir! Recon3 is the one to be thanked for the Somme repaints (Amongst many other graphic feats). :)