Sign in to follow this  
Laton

OT: Windows 7 RC1

Anyone else trying out Windows 7?

My install of XP has been getting a bit twitchy lately & after takint to a few mates in IT I decided to give RC1 64bit a try.

So far I'm pretty impressed. The install took about 40 min and a few restarts.

The interface is nice, I don't like all the bells'n'whistles so they are gone and its pretty quick.

Importantly: Max9 (32bit) looks like it works fine and FE seems to be good as well.

:good:

Edited by Laton

Running for two weeks or so now. Works ok, my only two Thirdwire installs now are FE and SF2Vietnam, no issues with them. New interface takes a while for a XP fan to learn, but it's functional.

other sims I checked so far and works w/o problems are CFS3 ETO, IL2 1946, SH4.

Max9 indeed works ok.

All in RC1 32bit

I've got Win7 build 7100, Vista SP1, and XP MCE SP4 (all 32 bit) installed on the same machine.

I definitely like Win7 over Vista...it seems way faster in terms of the GUI and boot...in fact, it even boots faster than XP. Only reason I haven't outright jumped ship is because it is a RC with a limited time license.

XP in terms of frame rate (for ThirdWire sims) is overall the best...although the Graphics frame rate is highest, the actual Sim frame rate (ie what the sim is pushing to the to the GPU) is actually higher for Vista/Win7 than for XP. I suspect Vista/Win7 are making better use of the dual cores than XP does.

Definitely digging Win7.

FC

Yup, Win7 is turning out to be what Vista should've been in the first place. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Sorry for bumping this older topic - I saw a lot of users who had problems with FE and Vista, with the requirement to disable some shaders and some other things to make it work.

Does it run fine in W7 RC1 "as installed" or does it also need tweaks?

Al the TW sims run straight "out of the box"!

I am so chuffed with Win7!!!!!!!!

Interesting, so W7 works better for First Eagles then Vista? I really want to keep the game "as is" and not have to deactivate graphic features like shaders for the new OS.

Muesli, are you using Nvidia or ATI drivers? High Game graphic settings?

EDIT: I see that from the Knowledge base entry http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=34221 it says that the October 2008 patches fixed that Terrain shader issue with Vista and DX9. I guess that's really good news.

Edited by Helmut_AUT

I have a GeForce 8600 GT of 1 GB and have a 1920x1080 resolution on my

iiYama E2208HDS, works like a charm on my P4EE Shuttle!