Sign in to follow this  
KnightWolf45

Prop-Head Modding and 3d Discussion

We already have an A4 and A5. Some new skins and an .ini edit should get us a Dora. I think on the outside there wasn't much noticeable difference between them. Although I am no expert on fw-190s.

edit:

Actually I just realized that the D variant was the inline powered model. it looks nothing like the A. I guess we need a new 3d model.

Edited by zmatt

Hi cocas,

I'm happy to see you are producing new WW2 models for Thirdwire, thanks for your work :biggrin::good:

Looks like you have a long WIP list, but if there is room for more requests, what I would really appreciate is a set of low-poly Luftwaffe bomber models for use in an upgraded BoB campaign - Ju-88, Do-17 and He-111. The DAT models are great for what they are, but a big bomber formation is a real framerate killer, even more so in Oct 08 patch levels. I have been testing the old BoB campaign in SFG Oct 08, and I am down to 4 or 5 FPS when attacking a large bomber group, even on low graphic settings. That is partly because some of the DAT Luft bombers have multiple LODS with multiple skin .bmp files for each lod. What would be useful is something simple, which looks OK when in a group of 12 or even more, but does not need to be very detailed.

If you can find the time, that would be great :yes:

Tally-Ho!

Baltika

Edited by Baltika

Hi cocas,

I'm happy to see you are producing new WW2 models for Thirdwire, thanks for your work :biggrin::good:

Looks like you have a long WIP list, but if there is room for more requests, what I would really appreciate is a set of low-poly Luftwaffe bomber models for use in an upgraded BoB campaign - Ju-88, Do-17 and He-111. The DAT models are great for what they are, but a big bomber formation is a real framerate killer, even more so in Oct 08 patch levels. I have been testin the old BoB campaign in new game builds, and I am down to 4 or 5 FPS when attacking a large bomber group, even on low graphic settings. That is partly because each DAT Luft bomber plane has multiple LODS with multiple skin .bmp files for each lod. What would be useful is something simple, which looks OK when in a group of 12 or even more, but does not need to be very detailed.

If you can find the time, that would be great :yes:

Tally-Ho!

Baltika

NP i real wnat o start a bomber so i will just leave the judy for a while and start a bomber just need chosse one or two damm they so many good bomber its hard to make a choiche.

Cocas

Great stuff, thanks :good:

But don't let me distract you from other projects - a Judy would be great for those PTO installs :yes:

The Red army approaches...

A storm is coming...

Hmm...Airacobra, huh??

Never finished decaling it, as I couldn't figure out the 1)font and 2) how the sequence runs

and the fact that all the ini "disappeared" in a system restore last year, and need rebuilding again

wrench

kevin stein

NP i real wnat o start a bomber so i will just leave the judy for a while and start a bomber just need chosse one or two damm they so many good bomber its hard to make a choiche.

Cocas

I think the Heinkel He111 was the most numerous in BOB but I'm not sure

If you want to do a US bomber then please consider the Martin B-26 Marauder. It dosnt exsist in this series anywhere to my knowlegde. I'll be happy to skin it, if its proberbly mapped :biggrin:

Was thinking about Baltika's question/comment about the existing He-111.... has anyone tried THIS with them

[LOD001]

Filename=He-111H6-R6.LOD

Distance=8000

//[LOD002]

//Filename=He-111H6-MR8.lod

//Distance=500

//[LOD003]

//Filename=He-111H6-MR6.lod

//Distance=1000

//[LOD004]

//Filename=He-111H6-MR4.lod

//Distance=2000

//[LOD005]

//Filename=He-111H6-MR3.lod

//Distance=8000

please note the change in the LOD001, and the commented out of the 'distance lods'

Worth experimentating with, methinks (some other models use something similiar)

wrench

kevin stein

The Airacobra also needs a new pit. The one it has is pretty basic and it doesn't look a thing like the real one.

Um...look in our downloads section for my P-400 mod ... disremember if I incuded the 'new' pit, but it's all set up to use the Hurri pit, as everything including/after the D model used the N-3 reflector gunsight. Not perfect, but an improvement

wrench

kevin stein

*note to self: consider adding this line to sig file: WW2 Mod Master* :rofl:

Was thinking about Baltika's question/comment about the existing He-111.... has anyone tried THIS with them

please note the change in the LOD001, and the commented out of the 'distance lods'

Worth experimentating with, methinks (some other models use something similiar)

wrench

kevin stein

Hi Kevin,

Funnily enough I tried out that very thing this afternoon. Seems to work a bit, as does reducing the stock skin .bmps, which start at 1500x1500 - a dozen of those on-screen sure slows things up a tad :blink:

However, I think the real culprit is the fact that each of the bombers have a half dozen gunners or so, each with an AI aiming/firing routine and all those muzzle flashes and tracers. Uses up a lot of CPU cycles I'm sure, as attacking a straggler just doesn't generate the sort of lag you see for big groups. I haven't yet expereimented with restricting each bomber to just a tailgunner, but that's next. Shame though, I want to keep them well-armed and dangerous. This is going to take some working out :rolleyes:

Edited by Baltika

Shouldn't 111's only have 3 -nose, dorsal and ventral?? (b-29s are the WORST to attack , btw ... really kills frame rates, and they YOU get killed by all them 50s!!)

Never could figure out WHY Gramps used such an odd size ... the lined maps I used for some of skins (Dora-9 and 152) were standard, 2048x or 4086x.

I'm just hoping that Wolf releases his Spits and Hurris on us ... I'm DYING to see them!!! Well, and skin too....

wrench

kevin stein

so its a poly count problem?

today i have been busy seting up several 3-views on 3d max im going by set this week his going to be making fuselages and canopys next week wings and details and in beetwin mapping and animations.

Hgbn if IF i make B-26 marauder will you skin it?

see you guys tomorow

Shouldn't 111's only have 3 -nose, dorsal and ventral?? (b-29s are the WORST to attack , btw ... really kills frame rates, and they YOU get killed by all them 50s!!)

Never could figure out WHY Gramps used such an odd size ... the lined maps I used for some of skins (Dora-9 and 152) were standard, 2048x or 4086x.

I'm just hoping that Wolf releases his Spits and Hurris on us ... I'm DYING to see them!!! Well, and skin too....

wrench

kevin stein

Well, looking at the data.ini for the He-111H2, I have listed Reargunner, Bellygunner, Nosegunner, BellyGunnerFwd, LeftGunner and RightGunner, plus sundry other crew who do not have active aiming/firing entries. Similarly for the H3, H4 etc. I will try to cut it down a bit and see if it helps.

Resizing skins helps, but not as much as I thought, hence the above examination of gunners.

As to WOLF's Emil, Hurri & Spit, yup, I'm excited at the thought. I fired him a PM over at AvHistory, as I am keen to upgrade BoB campaign to post Oct-08 standard, and the framerate thing is a real killer in the new build. One of WOLF's priorities seems to be keeping the models low-poly for big furballs, so that would help a lot if he wanted to come on board.

BTW, capun has posted WOLF's Mustang lod v3 over at Skunkworks, with an additional skin, so those who have access may wish to try it out.

Happy hunting :good:

Edited by Baltika

Hgbn if IF i make B-26 marauder will you skin it?

Yes I will. Have some ideas of skins fitting this bird......

Cant do any unwrapping myself.

With the exception of the P-51's my planes are intentionally low poly model.

The main reason being that I hate slide shows and you can usually get a lot of my planes in your field of view without killing your framerates.

I don't build screenshot models, if I can look out of my cockpit and I.D. the other plane then I've done what I set out to do.

I used a generic pit for several of the planes because I either didn't have good drawings to work from or I simply didn't feel like building a pit.

The P-51D, P-47's, P-38, Corsair, Bf109G and the Fw190's have a real cockpit but I also didn't go completely insane on any of them other than the P-51 because the pit can kill your framerates too.

I used AD's pits for my Ki-27, Ki-43 and N1K2 because they were better than anything I could have built and he was kind enough to let me use them.

I've got some other planes and some updated models for existing planes in the works but they'll have to wait till real life gives me some time.

MkI_Spitfire.jpg

MkI_Hurri.jpg

Me109E4.jpg

Bf109G-6.jpg

P-47D-23.jpg

P-47D-27.jpg

Forgot some...

B-25B.jpg

He111.jpg

B-26B.jpg

WOLF

Edited by WOLF257

Yes I will. Have some ideas of skins fitting this bird......

Cant do any unwrapping myself.

do mean mapping on max?

watt version are you on?

BTW, capun has posted WOLF's Mustang lod v3 over at Skunkworks, with an additional skin, so those who have access may wish to try it out.

Thats actually in the Beta Uploaded here

watt version are you on?

Dont have MAX. Wife has. But it's way over my head

Hi wolf,

Great looking planes there :biggrin::good:

Slainthe!

Baltika

Oh my!!! ohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmyohmy x1000

slats on the 109s, too!! And updated Jugs...Major Lee will be very happy!!!!

Many thanks for sharing those, Jim!! If I can help in any way, I'll be glad to try!

wrench

kevin stein

With the exception of the P-51's my planes are intentionally low poly model.

As you've said to me more than once before, a good skin makes up for a lot of polys...maybe we can talk Sundowner into draping some of his sex-skins on that Spit and Hurri... :good:

Awesome stuff as always.

Also, glad to see you around...

Oh my!!! ohmy[...]x1000

slats on the 109s, too!! And updated Jugs...Major Lee will be very happy!!!!

Many thanks for sharing those, Jim!! If I can help in any way, I'll be glad to try!

wrench

kevin stein

I'm more happy about the "real" G...

...and you're not trying to tell us there is really someone out there who likes the Jug's look?

(It is really effective, but it looks like a barrel with wings!)