Sign in to follow this  
JRA

Fighters vs. Bombers

Okay.. I find it a real pain in ass going after bombers that's got a tail gun.. Missiles just won't take care of them sometimes, and damn... I can't even get get close because of their rear guns... And I won't even think chasing a tightly packed bomber squadron unless me and my grunts gut tons of birds for them...

Any tips?

My only tip is that bring a lot of birds when you're going after them... And attack them from above too... :good:

try to overpass them and take them from the front, as son as you have passed your target, pull up and then take them from above, thats about it really, either that or just get better missiles, try using missiles like sparrows, that gives you the chance to take them from miles away without the risk of getting shot down.

Fly up and down, climb,strafe, dive, strafe, climb... It would be useful if you see the frequency with wich they shoot,

and avoid them before they fire. Their tracers are gift to avoid their fire, actually

I used to have the same problem. Beagles were always the worst for me, until i adopted the same tactic scouserlad describes above. I found it works like a treat as long as you get the angles correct and don't fall too far behind them when you pull up.

Mike

Edited by mikepie11986

My problem isn't so much following this advice myself but rather getting my wingmen to follow it. They line up right behind the beagles. The result is not pretty...

My problem isn't so much following this advice myself but rather getting my wingmen to follow it. They line up right behind the beagles. The result is not pretty...

Tell them to engage from far away, then they will hopefully fire missile and then move in for the kill

try to overpass them and take them from the front, as son as you have passed your target, pull up and then take them from above, thats about it really, either that or just get better missiles, try using missiles like sparrows, that gives you the chance to take them from miles away without the risk of getting shot down.

Yes thats the ticket - never fly in a straight lines behind them - unless you are sure it wont fire because of damage or its out of ammo. Its a lot easier with trackir must admit.

Its more difficult with bombers like the TU-16 where they are going faster and have more guns - though if you get close keep moving accross them or try attacking from above or below. Also the AIM-7 is miles better at high alts against TU-16s - where as the new AI in IL-28s not only turn they dive for the deck and are normally flying lower so give a much worse AIM-7 shot (on hard level).

In fact there are two bombers advantages:

-Most planes have no armor in this series. So, one single bullet touching you, and you are toasted

-AI fighter pilots start firing guns at about 500m or less. AI bomber gunners start firing at more than 1500m

Second problem is not very important when you have a plane with missiles, but in Korea or WWII is a very serious disadvantage. Much more dangerous work to attack B-29s than Sabers!!!!

-My "house solutions":

Added armor to all aircraft from this era (propellers and early jets). Much more realistic results. A lot of damaged planes (in both sides) and less shot down

Reduced the range of bomber guns to 500m. They are deadly too, but my MiG-15 flight are not wiped out at 1000m without firing a single bullet any more.

I NEVER attack any bomber with a tail gun from the rear; I use the overtake method (if I'm outta missiles) and then attack head-on, climb away, and come back until they go down, or I run out of ammo.

Or if your fast enough come from below,fire a burst to damage or make the bomber drop its load of bombs. then climb past ,bank left ,or right which ever is to your advantage to gain a lead . Line up fire a burst head on roll left or right to gain more speed,and repeat Until you ,or they are smoked.

For missle engagements against bombers....

Against IL-28s, 2 Aim9Bs per target are my usual. The AIM4G is especially deadly. I think that i've seen only about 2 or 3 IL-28s survive a single solid hit from one. If they are low, get lower! It's always better for IR seekers when you don't have the earth in the background.

With 9Bs 1.5 miles is the furtherest you want to be. 1 to 1.2 is virtually guranteed a hit. The 4G gives you more options. Usually i started engaging form 4.5 miles out and gradually closed the range. Note GRADUALLY! The best thing to do is to try to set the speed so as to allow you to sit back, pick your targets and allow the respective envelopes to come together. If your target breaks, check for the others because sometimes you'll find some that keep on the original heading. If all break, take a "coffee break" if you are solely IR missle armed. You are just going to have to wait them out. If you have SAH missles this can be a good time. Go out a few miles, cut down on the throttle and turn back towards the enemy. Take in the big picture then choose your targets.

For gun kills, if they were at altitude the attack is best from behind and below. Not just from 6 low, use a shallow dive to get virtually underneath the target, pull up at the right moment and spray the target's underside.

If you have good gunnery skills, head on is always nice. Especially if they are down low.

Be advised, the above is for the early campaigns.

Edited by Lt. James Cater