Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Hey Typhoid

Flew over my house.

sweet!

:biggrin:

what is that on th top of fuselage?

SHF

Same as they have on the backs of the U-2, Global Hawk, and others that need satcom access.

Same as they have on the backs of the U-2, Global Hawk, and others that need satcom access.

nope. Those are UHF which have a much smaller, fixed ant.

The SHF installation on the E-4B is a full ground station equivelant with a gyro-stabilized dish enabling a continuous, airborne lockon of the sat in order to carry the full set of strategic communications channels.

A unique installation. So far as I know, no other aircraft has a full SHF equivelant capability.

Really? I could've sworn I saw cutaway diagrams showing both the U-2 and Global Hawk had movable dishes...

Really? I could've sworn I saw cutaway diagrams showing both the U-2 and Global Hawk had movable dishes...

might have dated myself from two decades ago.

from the Global Hawk avionics description -

"Global Hawk has wide band satellite data links and line of sight data links developed by L3 Communications. The 'bulge' at the top front surface of the fuselage which gives Global Hawk its distinctive appearance, houses the 48in Ku-band wideband satellite communications antenna. Data is transferred by Ku-band satellite communications, X-band line-of-sight links and both Satcom and line of sight links at UHF-band."

freq bands below -

Designation Frequency Wavelength

ELF extremely low frequency 3Hz to 30Hz 100'000km to 10'000 km

SLF superlow frequency 30Hz to 300Hz 10'000km to 1'000km

ULF ultralow frequency 300Hz to 3000Hz 1'000km to 100km

VLF very low frequency 3kHz to 30kHz 100km to 10km

LF low frequency 30kHz to 300kHz 10km to 1km

MF medium frequency 300kHz to 3000kHz 1km to 100m

HF high frequency 3MHz to 30MHz 100m to 10m

VHF very high frequency 30MHz to 300MHz 10m to 1m

UHF ultrahigh frequency 300MHz to 3000MHz 1m to 10cm

SHF superhigh frequency 3GHz to 30GHz 10cm to 1cm

EHF extremely high frequency 30GHz to 300GHz 1cm to 1mm

and Ku

The Ku band is a portion of the electromagnetic spectrum in the microwave range of frequencies ranging from 11.7 to 12.7GHz. (downlink frequencies) and 14 to 14.5GHz (uplink frequencies).

--------------

so it appears that modern avionics and satcom has caught up with the SHF band since Ku is clearly in the SHF. So I stand corrected.

Having said that - the SHF installation in the NAOC is a full capabilty ground station equivelant in a gyro-stablized installation which enables the aircraft to carry the full range of strategic communications which is signficantly more than the standard aircraft installation such as on the Global Hawk or U-2R.

More about that, I cannot say......

Naturally the NAOC has more, it has to by design. I just meant the literal "blister housing a satcom antenna" definition, and I thought all satcom antennas had to rotate because otherwise the sats wouldn't pick up the transmissions.

That plane was visiting us a couple of years ago every month or so for trials of some sort...before the contracting people and contractors conspired to screw up the runway resurfacing job here that has left our main runway unusable for the past 2 years. :sad:

They put up signs about "defer to vehicles with flashing lights" or whatever.

Naturally the NAOC has more, it has to by design. I just meant the literal "blister housing a satcom antenna" definition, and I thought all satcom antennas had to rotate because otherwise the sats wouldn't pick up the transmissions.

That plane was visiting us a couple of years ago every month or so for trials of some sort...before the contracting people and contractors conspired to screw up the runway resurfacing job here that has left our main runway unusable for the past 2 years. :sad:

They put up signs about "defer to vehicles with flashing lights" or whatever.

most aircraft satcom operates in the UHF for tactial ops and are generally fixed "plates". connectivity isn't always great but its good enough for most purposes, or so I'm told. A lot of work of late has even looked into the standard satcom phone technology.

what field are you at? I know you've probably told me before but the ancient brain cells are degrading somewhat......

Patrick. Home of marina, golf course, BX, clinic, and beaches. Oh, there's a couple C-130s and HH-60s here, too, but they're not that important.

Patrick. Home of marina, golf course, BX, clinic, and beaches. Oh, there's a couple C-130s and HH-60s here, too, but they're not that important.

oh yea, I remember you told me that before.

When I was on the jet, Patrick was not one of the places we went to. They must have added that sometime in the last 20 years.

:grandpa:

Edited by Typhoid

When I started here 7 years ago it wasn't either. It only stopped off here maybe half a dozen times max 2+ yrs back before the runway debacle meant no plane needing a runway longer than 2500 ft or so (our crosswind runway which is still ok) could land here.

When I started here 7 years ago it wasn't either. It only stopped off here maybe half a dozen times max 2+ yrs back before the runway debacle meant no plane needing a runway longer than 2500 ft or so (our crosswind runway which is still ok) could land here.

I don't really see the problem.

just add a tailhook and JATO bottles................

:biggrin:

A tailhook on a 747? Wouldn't that result in something like this??

lateflare.jpg

Cannot get too deep in this, but the U-2 and Global Hawk do not need a movable dish.

Say that to the Marine jock that just vacated his Harrier over the ocean only to become an item of interest to a local Bull Shark! Those aircrews will never have to buy a drink around me...................

They're not the base owner, though, the 920th is just a tennant. The base is AFPSC, 45th SW.