Sign in to follow this  
Goanna

Ogl Or D3d..??

Hello...

Sorry for what may be a dumb question, but WRT the graphic's, is this sim being done in OGL or D3D..??

If D3D, are any advanced DX9 features going to be implimented..??

Ok, thanks for that.

Now, I don't know much about OGL, but are there any "advanced" features that will be implimented..??..

I was sorta thinking along the lines of Il2 levels, if that makes sense.

Thanks again..

G..

Now, I don't know much about OGL, but are there any "advanced" features that will be implimented..??..

I was sorta thinking along the lines of IL2 levels, if that makes sense.

Yes, indeed. That's why people don't see much of the current water in the game - as most of the action will happen over ocean, it must look very good, so bump-mapped water surface with arb dot3 or pixel shader is on the cards - think IL2 FB in Perfect Settings. Luckly, by the time JT will be ready, videocards capable of great performance in these settings will be the defacto standard.

will you be having a "legacy" video setting that are fully functional that work well for those with current midlevel hardware?

basically, if our systems aren't capable of rendering particular effects because they are done with hardware features that our cards do not have, will there be alternative simple graphics for these things?

I would like to use LOMAC for an example for what i mean.

lomac has excellent looking effects - but those without cutting edge hardware cannot handle the processing requirements for it. Often the only choice to keep framerates acceptable is to have the effects greatly reduced or even off.

There is no "middle" setting that allows the player to see what the function those effects have on gameplay, without the heavy effect on framerates of the complex effect.

Without the trail smoke for example, the player loses what the smoke achieves in function - awareness that a missile has been fired and it's trajectory and distance - which gives the player the chance to do something about them.

A simple X ribbon for the smoke trail will provide the functionality of the effect, will keep the gameplay impact of the effect present, even if it doesn't look fantastic.

Thanks

Bard has a point. One thing lomac lacks is the ability to turn things off in degrees.

i.e. for lomac i have to turn off sound accelleration, then back on for f4 or il2 (even though i have a fast rig)

this is so silly.....why not just a sound setup interface like il2 in lomac? oh well... but you get my point.

Lomac has really set the bar on terrain and towns and cities. The damage models for buildings are incredible. Great sim, but lots little missing pieces.

all the best to you guys and thank you for all the detailed info.