Sign in to follow this  
Red-Dog

Which had the most punch?

Just got hold of the new sqd'n aircraft, we've gone from the Nieu 16 to the 17. Now the new ship as a vickers but it seems to take alot more rounds to down the enemy? So i was just wondering which had the most punch the Lewis or the vickers?

Just had a tough fight with your colleagues from Esc.86

Damn hard to fight those agile craft with an Albatros, and I was lucky, it was a DIII.

They where 12, coming down on us 5. A hell of a fight.

(see "Reports from the front)

Your question I can't answer though.

Edited by Olham

The Vickers and the Lewis fired exactly the same round. However, as the Lewis on the Noop 16 was on a wing mount, firing over the top of the airscrew, it could fire unrestricted, ie at full rate of fire, rather than controlled by an interrupter gear.

Cheers,

shredward

Found these data in Wikipedia about them:

VICKERS

Rate of fire: 450–600 shots per minute

Caliber: 0.303

Effective range: 800 m

LEWIS

Rate of fire: 500-600 shots per minute

Caliber: 0.303

Effective range: 1000 m

Edited by Olham

the Lewis on the Noop 16 was on a wing mount, firing over the top of the airscrew, it could fire unrestricted, ie at full rate of fire, rather than controlled by an interrupter gear.

I concur. A single synchronized gun, at least on the Entente side, is pretty pathetic. You hold down the trigger for about 2 seconds and only fire 6 rounds or so. I understand this is entirely accurate, so I'm not complaining. I'm just saying that going from a wing gun to a synchronized gun on the Entente side is really a significant loss in firepower for the amount of time the trigger is pressed. The advantage is, you usually have more ammo in total, and it's easier to aim. But if you've gotten good with aiming the wing-mounted gun, you really notice the difference.

20MM Vulcan no questions ask.

Makes sense - never thought about the "missing bullets" through synchronisation.

So, my two guns would then fire similarly slow each, but added together, be more effective?

So, my two guns would then fire similarly slow each, but added together, be more effective?

All synchronization/interruptor systems slowed the rate of fire, but the difference this made varied considerably. IIRC, the German system of WW1 was more efficient than at least the initial system in widespread use by the Entente, although I think they became more equal in late 1917 or early 1918. Thus, for example, the Pup has rather less than 1/2 the firepower of an Albatros D.III.

The difference in firepower is very noticeable when I go from flying as the Hun to flying as the Entente with their single synchronized MGs. The Spad VII is a great example - if it only had 2 guns, it would be one of my favourite fighters for the early 1917 period, but with only one gun it's no match for the Alb D.III (or even D.II) of the same era. The Nupes and Pups are so agile that the reduced firepower is less of a problem. Nimbleness (is that a word?) compensates it nicely.