Sign in to follow this  
JimAttrill

Starting Engine commands

AFAIK (going back to 1966 here), the commands from the groundcrew to the pilot were:

'Switches off' - there were normally two magnetos in later engines by law. I'm not sure about the rotaries though, most likely single.

'Suck in' (the engine was turned backwards one revolution and then forward to a compression with the prop horizontal)

'Switches on'

and then the prop was swung.

My father had a scar on his lip and missing front teeth after a pilot forgot which way was on and which was off. Normally the switches were the aircraft normal 'up for on', with the idea that if you accidentally hit a switch it is safer to switch something off than on. At least that was the reason told to me.

It's 1917, only one magneto per customer, and you need to use your imagination for the bloke Flipping your prop, because he doesn't exist.

E is pretty well accepted, but if you wanna be super anal, there is a manual starting proceedure. But at around step #11, they instruct you to engage the starter, it's all downhill from there

is there anywhere a step by step guide for manually starting in BHAH? i usually have E on my stick, but would love to do it the proper way.

I do it all the time.

1. Control and + together and hold for a good 10 seconds to advance mixture to full rich.

2. Control B to turn on battery. (Not to realistic but you have to do it... Pretend it is you yelling CLEAR)

3. Control M three times for left mag, right mag, both mags. (When you do a runup at 1000 RPM's you can see this by hitting Shift M. You will get about a 50 RPM drop on one mag. So run up, hit Shift M to see a drop. Hit Control M to see a rise (Both Mags). Hit Shift M 2 times to see a drop. Hit Control M two times to see a rise again (both Mags running). Good Mag check. To kill the engine with mags. Hit Shift M three times for off. (I use mixture to kill engine though).

4. Hit Control S and hold for a second or two until engine starts.

Easy...

Edited by Lanzfeld

I do it all the time.

1. Control and + together and hold for a good 10 seconds to advance mixture to full rich.

2. Control B to turn on battery. (Not to realistic but you have to do it... Pretend it is you yelling CLEAR)

3. Control M three times for left mag, right mag, both mags. (When you do a runup at 1000 RPM's you can see this by hitting Shift M. You will get about a 50 RPM drop on one mag. So run up, hit Shift M to see a drop. Hit Control M to see a rise (Both Mags). Hit Shift M 2 times to see a drop. Hit Control M two times to see a rise again (both Mags running). Good Mag check. To kill the engine with mags. Hit Shift M three times for off. (I use mixture to kill engine though).

4. Hit Control S and hold for a second or two until engine starts.

Easy...

wow, thank you. got to try it.

on automatic mixture, do i still have to do 1.?

wow, thank you. got to try it.

on automatic mixture, do i still have to do 1.?

Not sure...try it.

Who knew???

VERY cool!

Thank you, LF!

ttt

Edited by tttiger

Who knew???

VERY cool!

Thank you, LF!

ttt

Your welcome!

I just got the game a few days ago myself and I am discovering all these great things.

i tried it and it's really cool. feels more realistic than "E" button. one problem occured when i tried to assign the steps to various buttons on my stick. usually in controls menu you choose the assignment, click on it and a small window appears where you can make the new assignement. then you click "ok" and it's saved. but my "ok" button is not clickable. nothing happens when i click it. i can't even make the small window disappear again so i have to get out via taskmanager.

anybody else has this problem or a solution for this? it wasn't always because at the beginning when i set my buttons it worked and still workes, even when installing BHAH completely new the assignments are still there.

thank you

I use Game Commander which allows voice to activate keys.

So I say "Start Us up", or is it "Starters Up", -whatever - like George Peppard and key E kicks in

And Voila! :biggrin:

So I say "Start Us up", or is it "Starters Up", -whatever - like George Peppard and key E kicks in

wow, never heard about it. is it freeware? have to try it.

i use something similar at home when i yell "food", and wether some minutes later there suddenly appears a meal, made by my girlfirend, or after yelling "food" two seconds later a slipper is plunking on my head. doesn't work properly it seems :biggrin:

wow, never heard about it. is it freeware? have to try it.

i use something similar at home when i yell "food", and wether some minutes later there suddenly appears a meal, made by my girlfirend, or after yelling "food" two seconds later a slipper is plunking on my head. doesn't work properly it seems :biggrin:

Hahahaha! :haha::haha::haha:

That was a good one. But I hope this dosent happen often when playing OFF.

Hahahaha! :haha::haha::haha:

That was a good one. But I hope this dosent happen often when playing OFF.

Yes - a good 'un.

It seems the program is no longer available. I don't know if a search on google for voice commands or such will bring forward any modern programmes, but i find game Commander excellent for years.

Any command I make up can be put to any sim key button -- Eg "Flaps" for flap button, " Bombs away" for bomb release button. etc .

It will take multiple keys , so was great in IL2 and F4,

Shoot 1.6.4 is a similar program - free to download it appears. Google it.

Edited by Fortiesboy

Yes - a good 'un.

It seems the program is no longer available. I don't know if a search on google for voice commands or such will bring forward any modern programmes, but i find game Commander excellent for years.

Any command I make up can be put to any sim key button -- Eg "Flaps" for flap button, " Bombs away" for bomb release button. etc .

It will take multiple keys , so was great in IL2 and F4,

Shoot 1.6.4 is a similar program - free to download it appears. Google it.

thank you, have downloaded Shoot 1.6.4. but where can i find the XML. profile for BHAH? seems it requires such file to have the key commands mapped.

Edited by Creaghorn

have figured out i have to make my xml. profile by myself and did it. trained it to my voice and tried it out. very cool. it really works. thank you fortiesboy :good:

at the moment i just tried "E" when i say "anwerfen" it starts. i'll try to use more phrases to implement the steps of lanzfeld to have a more realistic start.

e.g.

- treibstoffgemisch maximalfett (for mixture)

- bereit (for battery)

- zündung an (magnetos)

- anwerfen (engine start)

looking forward to try it out if it's going to work. would be great.

any more ideas i could do by voice command? maybe switch between gunner and pilot when in two seaters or getting out of warp or stuff like this.

:yes: really cool sowftware it is.

Creaghorn S!

Glad you got it sorted re your voice control. I don't use it a lot in OFF, apart from starting the aircraft.

You could use it for Attack - A; Rejoin for R ?

But in other sims it is good - flaps, landing gear

In BOB WoV,and Il2 there are commands for surfarce wind; Asking tower for vectors etc etc.

Don't understand why it hasn't apparently been used more. Same as trackir as well. I'm constantly surprised at how many simmers don't use, nor have heard of, trackir.

Creaghorn S!

Glad you got it sorted re your voice control. I don't use it a lot in OFF, apart from starting the aircraft.

You could use it for Attack - A; Rejoin for R ?

But in other sims it is good - flaps, landing gear

In BOB WoV,and Il2 there are commands for surfarce wind; Asking tower for vectors etc etc.

Don't understand why it hasn't apparently been used more. Same as trackir as well. I'm constantly surprised at how many simmers don't use, nor have heard of, trackir.

i wanted just to make voice commands for stuff where voice was necessary in real. so since only in flyboys vocal commands were able between biplanes, i didn't want that.

i thought maybe when flying two seaters i can switch between gunner/observer and pilot with "franz" and "emil". or when warping saying "warp" and to stop warp saying "stop" or something like this. got to figure it out. in any case a very good tool.

you are right. i'm astonished myself how many folks are playing sims, racing games, ego shooters, stuff like this 24/7 without having a life, and never heard anything about trackir, which is the best tool for sims ever made.

:yes: Another program that works well for me is VAC System, (Voice Activated Commands),which I believe is also a free download.

:yes: Another program that works well for me is VAC System, (Voice Activated Commands),which I believe is also a free download.

I think is a time-limited download, or was last time I tried it - very good though.

Creaghorn: One of your posts had me intrigued - given the title of this thread. Is what you posted what a German WW1 pilot would have said instead of 'Contact' 'Clear'? And if not, does anyone know?

Edited by Dej

I think is a time-limited download, or was last time I tried it - very good though.

Creaghorn: One of your posts had me intrigued - given the title of this thread. Is what you posted what a German WW1 pilot would have said instead of 'Contact' 'Clear'? And if not, does anyone know?

i am not sure, since WW1 movies which are dubbed in german use the same phrase in german, saying "kontakt". i was just guessing. since the only german WW1 book i red is the book of MvR. he talkes about shutting the "zündung" on or off, which means translated "ignitor" so i would guess they said "zündung an". and since in germany they still say to this day for running engines, especially where physical action is needed (motor boats, old cars, chain saws...) "anwerfen", i would guess they used it in WW1 too. maybe the phrase comes from early aviation afterall, because "anwerfen" means "to throw on". but i would like someone to confirm or to correct, who has the real knowledge about the phrases of running engines in WW1.

as an interesting sidenote what comes to my mind. "franz" was called the observer/gunner/navigator in german two seaters, and if they got lost or disoriented, they said they have "verfranzt" themselfes. this phrase is widely used to this day in germany, if somebody gets lost, but i doubt anybody knows what the source was.