Sign in to follow this  
vonOben

Newbie questions

Hi

I've been flying OFF2 for some time now and there are some issues that I would like some advice about.

• How am I supposed to aim since there are no gunsight on my EIII?

• My flight members don't keep formation and using the Regroup command doesn't seem to help much. Suddenly they are gone somewhere and I'm flying away on my own.

• How do I get accelerate time to work? I've added –time to my shortcut but that didn't help. I've checked the xca-file and I can't find any sign of time acceleration or Ctrl+Shift+E in there.

• I've been flying around in January – February 1916 but the terrain are green with yellow fields and the trees are also green, no traces of winter. Are there no seasonal changes in OFF2?

• After the campaign mission the briefing is rather sparse and I have no clue what has happened with the other pilots in my flight. Did they survive? Did they shoot down any enemies?

• How do I find the enemies out there? It would be nice to fly without using the target cone, TAC and labels, but I think it's very hard to detect the enemies without those aids. Any suggestions, please?

• I'm using a Trackir2 but I can't look straight back using it and the POV on my joystick doesn't work when I'm using Trackir2.

Cheers

vonOben

Hi

Yes, the OFF Tips & Cheats has been a good help, thanks for writing them! :good:

I can't find anything there about time acceleration though, and I don't mean warp.

So how do I get time acceleration to work?

I haven't any snow on the ground and not in the air either, but I'm running most things on low settings 1-2, could it be that causing it?

I have assigned the virtual cockpit to a joystick button and it works fine and also with Trackir2, but the machine gun is slightly angled so the crosshair is not good for aiming. So how am I supposed to aim?

About Wingmen I saw this:

OFF Gives you two choices: Tight and Tightest

Where is that setting?

Apart from that I couldn't find anything more than the commands and I've used the regroup command repeatedly but suddenly are they a few thousand meters away on their own or somewhere far a way so I can't see them at all.

What's the trick keeping them in formation?

Cheers

vonOben

Edited by vonOben

Hi

OK, I'll test the Tightest setting then.

I found an instruction in the FAQ about how to enable the time function, which was not the same as the one I found on one of the OFF Forums. I'll test it ASAP.

Do you mean that there are no seasonal changes in OFF2?

I've got used to having a gunsight from RB3D and other flight sims and I prefer to aim instead of fireing in blindness. There are reticles in CFS3 so it ought to be possible to have them in OFF also - but how?

It takes some time to getting used to a new game and understanding how it is supposed to work. Not easy to know if you are doing something wrong or if it’s a lacking feature.

I’m grateful for your help! :yes:

Cheers

vonOben

the machine gun is slightly angled so the crosshair is not good for aiming. So how am I supposed to aim?
1. Forget that there's a crosshair. :biggrin:

2. Get really close (I generally wait until I can see the supporting struts on his plane, or if I really need to hit him, the support wires). This will take fun manoeuvring unless you're absolutely sure there's no one else around to occupy your six. If you're in a faster plane, you're going to have to fiddle with the throttle as well, or you'll probably zoom past him before you'll ever get a chance to "aim".

3. Fire a quick shot to gauge where the bullets go. Notice where these bullets fly in comparison to other parts of your cockpit (you're shooting him from the cockpit, right?), then aim your plane so your target flies in front of that piece of cockpit. (I notice that in Phase 3, my Fokker E.III shoots just under/around the top metal piece of the windscreen.)

That's what I do.

How do I get accelerate time to work? I've added –time to my shortcut but that didn't help. I've checked the xca-file and I can't find any sign of time acceleration or Ctrl+Shift+E in there.
Wha, there's time acceleration?!?!

In Phase II only, check out the FAQ for How http://www.polovski.com/OFFFAQ.htm
I referenced that page a number of times before I actually bought BHH. The only thing it mentions regarding time acceleration is "Note: Using WARP or time acceleration can mess up times too.". Not exactly informative, nor something that would actually imply that warping and time acceleration were two very different things.

Hi VonOben

If your having fun with Phase2 then I would buy OFFBHH. Its on sale now for 29.99 for Fathers Day I guess.

GB