Sign in to follow this  
Fortiesboy

Have to smile .....

WF2, thanks for posting that for some clarification. Still, not everyone is on DSL or Cable (broadband) so that doesn't bode well for the players that are on dial-up, NetZero, AOL.. etc. PLus, do I have to keep extra cables lying around when I start breaking the tabs off of my Ethernet plugs? Every time I play I have to pull out the PC, let it hang on the side of the desk until I am done? No thanks.

As far as online play, it's that cut and dry. There are many aspects that effect the speed and performence of the game. Will it pull updates during a game? What if the server is overloaded and crashes? How many servers are up? How many connections will it allow at once? Is there a waiting room?

After reading all of your posts and really listening to you all talk and opinionate about it, I doubt I will be buying RoF. Talking from a gamers point of view, nothing to do with OBD, or OFF. I think it's crazy to have to log on to a server every time I want to play my game. Regardless of the piracy issue, to me it's a PRIVACY issue. I don't want my PC talking to anything or anyone without my input or control.

I've cleaned many a PC for my friends and family thanks to Limewire, Napster (when it was open), and all the other file sharing sites. As much as they claim that it will be protected, if they can take down Avsim, they can take down anyone.

Piracy cannot be stopped, no matter what you do. I've trawled newsgroups enough in the past to physically see the amount of cracked stuff out there, and see how good the guys are that do it. They love to break the back of anyone that thinks they can't. So all they are doing, is challenging the mass. The only way to counter piracy is to accept it, and sell enough ligitimate copies that it doesn't effect your sales.

Connecting to a server claiming that there is no other way better to update a game to me is a smoke cloud. I don't need anyone knowing my 'stats' of how the mission came out. If I want to play MP, I will. they should seriously reconsider what they are doing. It's only creating a large can of worms for them.

OvS

QUOTE (OvS @ Jun 11 2009, 09:22 AM) post_snapback.gifWF2, thanks for posting that for some clarification. Still, not everyone is on DSL or Cable (broadband) so that doesn't bode well for the players that are on dial-up, NetZero, AOL.. etc. PLus, do I have to keep extra cables lying around when I start breaking the tabs off of my Ethernet plugs? Every time I play I have to pull out the PC, let it hang on the side of the desk until I am done? No thanks.

As far as online play, it's that cut and dry. There are many aspects that effect the speed and performence of the game. Will it pull updates during a game? What if the server is overloaded and crashes? How many servers are up? How many connections will it allow at once? Is there a waiting room?

After reading all of your posts and really listening to you all talk and opinionate about it, I doubt I will be buying RoF. Talking from a gamers point of view, nothing to do with OBD, or OFF. I think it's crazy to have to log on to a server every time I want to play my game. Regardless of the piracy issue, to me it's a PRIVACY issue. I don't want my PC talking to anything or anyone without my input or control.

I've cleaned many a PC for my friends and family thanks to Limewire, Napster (when it was open), and all the other file sharing sites. As much as they claim that it will be protected, if they can take down Avsim, they can take down anyone.

Piracy cannot be stopped, no matter what you do. I've trawled newsgroups enough in the past to physically see the amount of cracked stuff out there, and see how good the guys are that do it. They love to break the back of anyone that thinks they can't. So all they are doing, is challenging the mass. The only way to counter piracy is to accept it, and sell enough ligitimate copies that it doesn't effect your sales.

Connecting to a server claiming that there is no other way better to update a game to me is a smoke cloud. I don't need anyone knowing my 'stats' of how the mission came out. If I want to play MP, I will. they should seriously reconsider what they are doing. It's only creating a large can of worms for them.

OvS

I think that sums up my views on ROF as well.

Bye, Bye ROF...and thanks for all the Fish! :wink:

As much as they claim that it will be protected, if they can take down Avsim, they can take down anyone.

From the info I'm seeing here, it seems like the ROF folks have constructed an on-line Rube Goldberg machine. Probably works flawlessly on paper, and in beta with friends, but will stumble in practice. Sounds very complicated from on the administrative, home-office end of things. I suspect that if they can keep it flying for a year as they add planes [as they must] there will be a boxed, single-player, off-line version.

As someone at SimHQ put it, I'm one of the "wait and see Mafia". I won't go as far as to say bye, bye Rof, but it's a definite "not as it stands now".

CJ

As someone at SimHQ put it, I'm one of the "wait and see Mafia". I won't go as far as to say bye, bye Rof, but it's a definite "not as it stands now".

CJ

Yeah..sorry, that's what I meant... :good:

I suspect that if they can keep it flying for a year as they add planes [as they must] there will be a boxed, single-player, off-line version.

Well, let's hope that's what they're doing

Until then I'm back up on the fence and waiting ...might get a little crowded up here

That may not be correct. I agree that piracy is a problem in the gaming industry, but I do not think there are hordes of true flight simmers out there, waiting for a pirated version.

The ones who do use the pirated versions ( of flight sims ) are not guys who would otherwise have bought it if the pirated version didn't exist.

Flight simmers are not like that. Flight simmers want a good flight/campaign experience and are almost all undoubtedly willing to pay for the products they want to play.

IMHO, It's because it is such a niche pastime, that that is the case.

Blackdog says it better over on Simhq.

Why, thank you very much :biggrin:

On a serious note, i am the guy who constantly plays devil's advocate and i have a pretty good reason for it. Some people think it's because i like to annoy everyone, but i'm more interested in considering and presenting as many different viewpoints as possible. I kid you not, i really wanted RoF to succeed and that's why i'm so critical about it over on the SimHQ forums. I've stated many times that IL2 wasn't much when it started and we had a similar situation back then. I would fly a couple of sorties in the canned campaign included with the original IL2, admire all the graphics, accurate flight models and damage effects. Then i'd get annoyed by the repetitive nature of the missions, the silly wingmen and the fact that i was flying in an empty map save for the area i was going to be flying over, exit IL2 and go fly some European Air War. In fact, i flew that even after pacific fighters was released, the wingmen were that good and it had one of the best radio command system i've ever encountered.

A lot of what IL2 lacked has never been fixed, the AI for example is still just as stupid as it was in day one, but the gradual increase in content made it worthwhile. While i prefer a dynamic campaign, a lot of the user made campaigns in IL2 are very well done and enjoyable, there's a truckload of flyables nowadays and i fly both online and offline in a semi-regular fashion.

To be fair, RoF is not as bland as some people here pointed out, it's not a rushed cash-grab job (been in development for years), it's not MP only, it's not a Russian internet scam (there are verification servers in European soil too, i think in Holland), it's not only eye-candy and it certainly doesn't lack good AI, infact people say the AI is so complex that you need a pretty good PC to run a 30 plane furball with an acceptable framerate and they vary in skill levels, some are total rookies and some will really make you work for that kill throwing their crate about the sky and evading with a series of well planned maneuvers, it's got a very advanced physics engine that ties in with graphics that actually show you what the physics model calculates, infact it's not bad at all. It's just not deep or complete enough, has somewhat steep PC requirements and an idiotic copy protection scheme coupled with forced updates. There, that's a pretty concise summary of everything positive or negative about it.

What i'm trying to say is that giving credit where it's due, RoF could very well be the new IL2 in a WWI setting if they would just be willing to open their eyes for a little bit. The critical point in the equation is wether their limited initial scope will net them enough of a funding to actually go ahead and improve it. If it had shipped with 4 flyables and 10 AI aircraft, plus the ability to fly for any of the four main combatant nations then it would certainly be a passable product with a good chance of suceeding. IL2 did something similar and it's still here after all these years, but it also had more things to keep you busy before the "wow,did you see that?" factor wears off. That's the issue right there, how long can you fight in the same two aircraft against the same 6 aircraft in a series of pre-generated missions it calls a campaign and will that be long enough for them to actually add more content before you decide to shelve it? And supposing they do have the time to do it, how affordable will it be for you to keep up with it?

I can't judge accurately without some data for the international release, but that's fast approaching around the corner and we'll see what happens. Initially i was very critical of what i personally perceive as flaws in RoF because i was afraid the company would go under too fast. To be honest, as time passes i tend to be less and less worried. Apart from a few level headed people who bought it and speak openly about its shortcomings (incidentally, they are the ones who get the less flak for pointing out flaws, but they still get it :biggrin: ) there's loads of obsessed fanboys that will buy it, beta test it and fund it for me through its babysteps, so i can pick it up six months later in a possible bargain pack offer with 10 flyables instead of two and no bugs. I say let them :grin:

Hear, hear BD! Very well said. I have been watching RoF for a long time myself and am very impressed with what I see, but.....

the offline (I use that term loosely) content is almost nonexistent from what I've read and problems with the servers have been discussed at SimHQ also. The "always online" requirement, even in SP, turned me completely off, as well as the automatic updates. As I stated in a thread at SimHQ, "I don't even let Bill Gates get away with that". I like to choose what goes into my computer. Some may think I'm paranoid but these days it's wise to be a little wary.

CJ

A slightly different perspective on the log in requirement,

The log in requirement for RoF doesn't bother me much really because I've played EQ, EQ2, World of Warcraft, Age of Conan and Lord of the Rings on-line (along with about 11 million other people). In order to play any MMO, you have to log in, get the required new patches and then stay on-line until you are done playing for that session. So in that regard, there really isn't anything new about RoF's requirements, although obviously it's not a true MMO game.

But it is a sort of "quasi" MMO in that the limited single player part of the game isn't really ment to be the driving force of entertainment. That's just the warm up, kind of like Quick Combat is the warm up for the campaign in BHaH. The driving force behind the fun of RoF is playing with and against other live opponents. I can tell you for certain that what keeps most people playing real MMO games isn't the content nearly as much as it is that all of their friends are on-line playing. You log in not just to play, but to talk with your friends and help one another achieve whatever your goals might be. With traditional single players games, including BHaH, you are either on the message boards connecting with the community or you are playing the game. In on-line games, you do both at the same time. Plus the on-line rivalries, friendly and not so friendly, pretty much guarantee people come back for more action, no matter if they won or got killed last time. In MMOs, there is usually a rival PvP (Player vs Player) guild that you and your guildmates spend a lot of time hunting down and killing. In ROF, it will be enemy squadrons to kill and rival same side squadrons to try and achieve better scores than. As long as it's a fair playing field (meaning nobody is using cheat exploits), it is incredibly satisfying to know that you defeated a skilled player instead of a well programed AI. Especially when you know that next time they will be looking for you specifically. In MMOs, it's mostly about having the right "uber" (I always hated that word) gear so you can win. In RoF, it will be all about the plane you are in and your skill with it. To me, that is pretty cool.

I personally am not concerned about having to log in to play, though I do understand why some people are very hesitant to do so. Millions of people do it every day, however and I don't think it will be a huge barrier to getting enough people to play. If they do it right, forced logging in of all players may be the very thing that ensures the MP skies are filled with ferocious furballs and that is what RoF is depending upon to be a success, it seems. The downside to a huge emphasis on MP though is the very real risk of alienating players because of rampant cheats / exploits. Why play any game that you don't stand a fair chance of winning and that all of your skills are made useless because of hacks?

The other big worry for me is the lack of planes. It won't take long for people to figure out the flight dynamics of the few planes that they are flying in the RoF skies. Fewer Flight Models to deal with means that "cookie cutter" strategies to win against your opponents 1 or 2 planes will develop quickly. The more variation they can make in their aircraft and flight models, the more the complexity of winning goes up exponentially. For example, a squardon of DVIIs vs a squadron of Spad XIIIs all know the strengths and weaknesses of one anothers planes. But a mixed squadron of DR 1s, DVIIs and DVa 200's against Sopwith Camels, SE5as and Sopwith Triplanes makes things far, far more challenging from a tactical standpoint. Did such mixed combats actually occur during WWI? I couldn't tell you. I'm sure there are folks on here who know. But RoF isn't really pushing historical accuracy as it's primary selling point. It's about exciting, visceral and intense multiplayer combat. More planes would help that dramatically.

/salute

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

To be fair, RoF is not as bland as some people here pointed out, it's not a rushed cash-grab job (been in development for years), it's not MP only, it's not a Russian internet scam (there are verification servers in European soil too, i think in Holland), it's not only eye-candy and it certainly doesn't lack good AI, infact people say the AI is so complex that you need a pretty good PC to run a 30 plane furball with an acceptable framerate and they vary in skill levels, some are total rookies and some will really make you work for that kill throwing their crate about the sky and evading with a series of well planned maneuvers, it's got a very advanced physics engine that ties in with graphics that actually show you what the physics model calculates, infact it's not bad at all. It's just not deep or complete enough, has somewhat steep PC requirements and an idiotic copy protection scheme coupled with forced updates. There, that's a pretty concise summary of everything positive or negative about it.

Thanks for the post. It has a nice list of ROF strengths and weakness (but I gather you do not own a copy as yet).

I look forward to testing the AI (as an AI developer it is my prime interest), the FM , physic, gunnery, and damage. I am also interested in the landscap and ROF performance.

I will puchase ROF to support the Flight Sim developers (as I understand the risk, pain and effort) and to test its features and compile its strengths and weakness (and my personal likes and dislikes).

Edited by buddye

Thanks for the post. It has a nice list of ROF strengths and weakness (but I gather you do not own a copy as yet).

I look forward to testing the AI (as an AI developer it is my prime interest), the FM , physic, gunnery, and damage. I am also interested in the landscap and ROF performance.

I will puchase ROF to support the Flight Sim developers (as I understand the risk, pain and effort) and to test its features and compile its strengths and weakness (and my personal likes and dislikes).

Buddye, the way AI is dogfighting against you in RoF is definitely one of the strongest points already in my opinion in RoF, I'm sure you'll be interested since you've put so much work in it in BoB2. The FM, physics, damage are the best I've seen among flightsims. Landscape is amazing and atmosphere above looks very much realistic, just fun to explore (sightseeing, a bit like in MSFS). I compare it with FSX's skytheme addons and RoF looks better, but haven't seen overcast in RoF yet. Unfortunately I have to wait till they replace 1.002 patch with something newer via their online authorization needle.

With all that have been said already the novelty of RoF (and its elements) is very attractive.

Dirk.

Edited by Dirk98

They'll have to remove the single player requirement of having to be constantly connected to their servers to get me to buy this software. I think the best thing to do is not buy this and maybe they'll see the loss in sales as an indicator that they will have to change this to sell more copies. They know how many simmers are out here and I'm sure their publisher has a certain number of expected sales figure in mind. When they don't meet this expected sales goal perhaps a change in the constantly connected requirement will be patched out. Until then I'll keep my money and hope others who feel the same way will too.

If you buy it, even if you're just curious, it's like giving in to their way of thinking and letting them know that it's OK with you to allow a full on connection to russian servers just to play a single player mission. And what happens if they go out of business? Your stuck with software that no longer functions.......... period.

It's a simple decision for me; I simply won't buy it until they remove the "constantly connected" requirement for single player mode.

Does anyone know when the Demo is supposed to be released? It will be interesting to see if the AI lives up to the hype it has been given.

Hellshade

I have been following closely RoF at most of the forums (including Neoqbs first blog) since RoF's resurgence back into the limelight (about a several months before BHaH release). Neoqb has been a little dodgy about the SP aspect of RoF until fairly recently. They tipped their hand about SP in that link CJ posted and thats when the reveal was made that RoF SP will be to eventually assimulate you into RoF MP, look at it as sort of a farm club like the MLB or the NHL uses. I'm sure RoF SP will have some very good user made mission eventually and some very good user made campaigns eventually, but it's going to be like chinese food, very good but your hungry 2 hours later, and if you want the filling steak and potatos meal your going to have to go into RoF MP to get it, nothing wrong with that if thats your cuppa. I understand the MP requirements of RoF and have no problems with whatever Neoqb wants to do there, and if auto updates is the requirement to keep a level playing field in MP then so be it, that is just plain common sense and really should be no arguements there from anyone. And if you understand Neoqbs stance on SP it makes sense for their marketing strategy, they don't want players to be flying this game in SP strictly, they eventually want you spending most if not all your time in a MP squadron, they said so themselfs so it's straight from the horses mouth. So if your a player who spends all of your simming time in MP or a simmer who spends more then 1/2 your time in MP your going to be very, very happy with RoF no doubt. Players who spend all their simming time in SP, well these guys are basically going to be playing FE on massive steroids but without the free downloadable plane's and engrossing campaign that BHaH has. Different strokes for different folks....btw I will be eagerly awaiting OFF 4 and enjoying OFF: BHaH in the meanwhile

A slightly different perspective on the log in requirement,

The log in requirement for RoF doesn't bother me much really because I've played EQ, EQ2, World of Warcraft, Age of Conan and Lord of the Rings on-line (along with about 11 million other people). In order to play any MMO, you have to log in, get the required new patches and then stay on-line until you are done playing for that session. So in that regard, there really isn't anything new about RoF's requirements, although obviously it's not a true MMO game.

But it is a sort of "quasi" MMO in that the limited single player part of the game isn't really ment to be the driving force of entertainment. That's just the warm up, kind of like Quick Combat is the warm up for the campaign in BHaH. The driving force behind the fun of RoF is playing with and against other live opponents. I can tell you for certain that what keeps most people playing real MMO games isn't the content nearly as much as it is that all of their friends are on-line playing. You log in not just to play, but to talk with your friends and help one another achieve whatever your goals might be. With traditional single players games, including BHaH, you are either on the message boards connecting with the community or you are playing the game. In on-line games, you do both at the same time. Plus the on-line rivalries, friendly and not so friendly, pretty much guarantee people come back for more action, no matter if they won or got killed last time. In MMOs, there is usually a rival PvP (Player vs Player) guild that you and your guildmates spend a lot of time hunting down and killing. In ROF, it will be enemy squadrons to kill and rival same side squadrons to try and achieve better scores than. As long as it's a fair playing field (meaning nobody is using cheat exploits), it is incredibly satisfying to know that you defeated a skilled player instead of a well programed AI. Especially when you know that next time they will be looking for you specifically. In MMOs, it's mostly about having the right "uber" (I always hated that word) gear so you can win. In RoF, it will be all about the plane you are in and your skill with it. To me, that is pretty cool.

I personally am not concerned about having to log in to play, though I do understand why some people are very hesitant to do so. Millions of people do it every day, however and I don't think it will be a huge barrier to getting enough people to play. If they do it right, forced logging in of all players may be the very thing that ensures the MP skies are filled with ferocious furballs and that is what RoF is depending upon to be a success, it seems. The downside to a huge emphasis on MP though is the very real risk of alienating players because of rampant cheats / exploits. Why play any game that you don't stand a fair chance of winning and that all of your skills are made useless because of hacks?

The other big worry for me is the lack of planes. It won't take long for people to figure out the flight dynamics of the few planes that they are flying in the RoF skies. Fewer Flight Models to deal with means that "cookie cutter" strategies to win against your opponents 1 or 2 planes will develop quickly. The more variation they can make in their aircraft and flight models, the more the complexity of winning goes up exponentially. For example, a squardon of DVIIs vs a squadron of Spad XIIIs all know the strengths and weaknesses of one anothers planes. But a mixed squadron of DR 1s, DVIIs and DVa 200's against Sopwith Camels, SE5as and Sopwith Triplanes makes things far, far more challenging from a tactical standpoint. Did such mixed combats actually occur during WWI? I couldn't tell you. I'm sure there are folks on here who know. But RoF isn't really pushing historical accuracy as it's primary selling point. It's about exciting, visceral and intense multiplayer combat. More planes would help that dramatically.

/salute

Hellshade

I know what you mean, i used to play EvE online a few years ago and stayed with it for 2-3 years. Let me tell you, that's one of the most complex and punishing MMO games ever, so i can certainly relate to the whole virtual rivalry theme. In EvE online when you kill a rival spaceship (it's a sci-fi setting) you can loot the wrecks. The other guy's gear (called modules in EvE, that could be from armor repairers to guns/missile launchers to electronic warfare jammers) is either destoyed in the explosion, or it survives in the wreck to be looted and he is left drifting in his escape pod. If you want to and you're fast enough, you can even kill the escape pod, which means the guy is dead and he has to use his ingame money to buy a new clone, clones are more expensive the more skill points you have to simulate the need for "smarter" clones as you advance in knowledge and so on, plus if your pod is killed you loose any cybernetic implants (these enhance your character stats). You can see how hard core competitive such a game can be, at some point it was a very popular practice to ransom rival pods :biggrin:

The difference though between all that and RoF is that such games tend to be marketed as MMO environments right from the start. A user knows the risks before decinding whether he wants to play or not, plus it's usually subscription based software with an all-inclusive flat rate, save for the odd expansion here and there. In EvE online even expansions are covered by the subscription price, with 15 Euros per month you have access to every patch, new ship and expansion they release so the playing field is kept more or less level.

With RoF it's somewhat different, a product we had been following for a few years suddenly got a connectivity requirement out of the blue and getting new toys for your arsenal is something that's done on a "per airframe" basis. The only good thing about this is that you can skip buying aircraft you're not interested in, while a multi-plane add on pack like the ones IL2 had will charge you a set price for the whole package. The bad thing is that maybe 2-3 stand alone RoF aircraft might equal the price of such an add on with double the flyable airframes :biggrin:

Then it's also the matter of specialisation. MMO games are specialised platforms and they tend to introduce new content incrementally to keep their subscribers playing and paying. A WWI flight sim can't do that in the same manner that a fantasy based game can, there's only a finite number of realistic and acceptable stuff you can release as add ons, wether they are aircraft or a M1911 Colt .45 to take pot shots at the enemy when your machine guns run out of ammo.

The problem with RoF's business model is mostly just that, it lacks specialised focus. It combines the gameplay aspects of a non-persistent world based on session gameplay (a session can be a mission, either single player or online in a dogfight server) while trying to imitate the pricing policy of strictly MMO games and not quite doing that either. Those games however have stuff that RoF lacks, mainly a persistent online game world where stuff happens around the clock and usually a flat rate charge for the service rendered with unlimited access to any new content. RoF tries to institute incremental payments but it lacks the all-inclusive access to new content or an MMO-type world that would make such payments widely acceptable to a bigger consumer base. And to be honest, it shouldn't really need to, it's a flight sim and not a subscription based MMO game.

In layman's terms, they would be better off following Oleg's model of a mix of free and paid add on planes bundled in reasonably priced expansions.

Heck, even with all the supposedly multiplayer oriented nature of RoF, most people who managed to get copies of the Russian version say that there's not really enough MP servers to fly in. To be fair though i think this is because of a bug in the dedicated server software, that means the servers people see only stay up as long as someone is hosting and that someone needs a pretty beefy PC as he's also flying the mission at the same time. I guess that when dedicated servers become available it will be much better for MP pilots.

Well, it's less than a week to the North American release date so we'll see if, how and what has been changed in the meantime. :cool:

I like the looks of the game, but I'm in the wait and see crowd as well. The graphics look great, but it doesn't see as comprehensive as OFF.

I also agree with OvS: that online requirement is highly suspect to me. Those familiar with the Steam games platform are familiar with lots of online requirements. Recently Steam has also set up "online for single player" modes of games. Empire Total War comes to mind. I wonder if this kind of "online at all times" stuff is going to become the norm rather than the exception. Anyway, I think it's suspect. Why does anyone need to know what I'm doing as an end user playing the game? There is the piracy issue, but then again there are ways even around the set up being used here. Turning into Big Brother in a vain attempt to crack down on a narrow class of pirates is beyond what is needed.

There are those who will say this kind of apprehension stinks of tinfoil hat behavior, but I disagree. I think there legitimate privacy concerns present.

BD,

True on all accounts about the differences between ROF and MMOs. It is definately not a true MMO and won't have the incremental updates to content other than new planes now and then. Like I said, it's a "quasi" MMO in that you have to log on to play it and the Player vs Player competition is the main draw to keep people hooked. Maybe a better analogy would be to games like Call of Duty 4. Sure there's a campaign to go through, but logging onto a server and doing PvP combat is what gives the game it's longevity. However even CoD4 doesn't make you log in to play the single player stuff. Still, I guess it just doesn't much matter to me about the log in requirement . I'm so used to it from playing MMOs and on-line first person shooters that it's not that big a deal. STEAM games require you to be logged in to play, I believe. I could be wrong on that though.

Here's my guess though. For the people who have the gear to run RoF in all it's graphical glory, as soon as they get their first on-line "kill", especially if they worked in tandem with a friend using voice chat software, they will be hooked on the thrill because of the intense, close proximity air to air combat that really only the WWI setting can provide. If the damage modeling of the aircraft is as visceral as it looks in the videos and feels rewarding, the game will develop enough of a following to keep it growing. Again, that presumes they keep the cheating to a minimum and the bugs get ironed out quickly.

We shall see soon enough. I am very anxious to at least try out the demo when it becomes available. Any ideas when the demo is supposed to be released?

Hellshade

PS. I never played EvE Online, though I heard it was complex and intense. I was tempted, but resisted.

If you buy it, even if you're just curious, it's like giving in to their way of thinking and letting them know that it's OK with you to allow a full on connection to russian servers just to play a single player mission. And what happens if they go out of business? Your stuck with software that no longer functions.......... period.

Yes, there are always risk and the management of ROF is clearly "green" and short on experience, IMHO, but the developers have a dream and they are all over worked and under paided Russians living in a very high inflation country who have joined an upstart company.

I clearly understand the risk that the game could/may become a "wall flower" and of no use to me because of problems with the ROF business model.

Everyone should vote on ROF with their pocket book which is the way the business world works.

I choose to support the developers and check out the work they have done with a specific focus on the AI.

Edited by buddye

Yes, there are always risk and the management of ROF is clearly "green" and short on experience, IMHO, but the developers have a dream and they are all over worked and under paided Russians living in a very high inflation country who have joined an upstart company.

I clearly understand the risk that the game could/may become a "wall flower" and of no use to me because of problems with the ROF business model.

Everyone should vote on ROF with their pocket book which is the way the business world works.

I choose to support the developers and check out the work they have done with a specific focus on the AI.

I agree, I bought the pre release DVD and am wishing them all the best of luck.

Would you please see this thread and tell me if I was being overly critical of ROF? I got blasted for mentioning what some one else had pointed out, and maybe my come back was overly paranoid (you would have to be familiar with how much I've been attacked), but I think the put downs of OFF were unwarranted.

See it here (click)

Would you please see this thread and tell me if I was being overly critical of ROF? I got blasted for mentioning what some one else had pointed out, and maybe my come back was overly paranoid (you would have to be familiar with how much I've been attacked), but I think the put downs of OFF were unwarranted.

See it here (click)

Yeah, I think he intended to just give you a gentle ribbing and meant nothing personal, but it was probably in a bit of bad taste on his part considering the history of the enmity between the two communities. In bad taste or just badly timed. Anyhow, I really don't think whatever he intended was the way it was perceived, which is unfortunate I guess.

For the most part, I've enjoyed both this thread and that one, and I hope there's more healthy "cross-pollination" in the future. Hmm that sounds dirty, but that's the first thing that popped into my head :)

RoF is a great effort, and I already did my fanboi duty and ordered a copy. But I fully admit that from what I've seen, the game isn't as substantial as I hoped it would be on release (this could change however, since no one really knows what will be included in the release). That being said, it lays an awesome foundation for future improvements which can and will be made. It's the things that are difficult or impossible to change (such as the FM or DM) that would really worry me, and I haven't really seen any of those "show-stoppers" yet.

As for the online requirement. It doesn't really affect me since I'm always online, and in principle it doesn't really worry me. But I sympathize with those who really don't like the concept and won't buy it out of principle (which is understandable), and also those with geniune connectivity issues.

I think neoqb will be able to hold their own these next few months with the sales, so I honestly don't think it would hurt to wait for the reviews or wait for the new content before considering purchasing. That's the best advice for anyone who's even slightly hesitant.

Okay, decide for yourself if this sim is not for you, all SP here.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

"enough said"

Enjoy,

WF2

P.S. its even better in full screen view!

Okay, decide for yourself if this sim is not for you, all SP here.

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

"enough said"

Enjoy,

WF2

P.S. its even better in full screen view!

very impressive

what i like the most is the visual reload of the spandau, the doppler eff...just a minute, be right back...

...the doppler effect and the vibration inside. also like the dm when crashing.

i think it's very very cool for MP.

from a SP point of view it didn't touch me at all.

what i didn't liked, i want a AI fight for his life and make me sweat because of trying to end mine. i don't know if it's standart, but in this vid i could confortably fly and at the same time watch tv because AI didn't seem to be too evasive nor aggressive. a good AI is what keeps me hanging on a sim. and of course the tons of tons of historical research put into it. if i fly, i want to have the feeling i am inside, not just playing. i want to have life on the ground, life in the air, life at the front. and i am just a small small unimportant part of it, not the belly button of the world like it is in most games. and if somebody wants that kind of game, BHAH is the place to go.

for MP ROF seems to be the right thing, but i don't know. i am a SP guy and never tried MP (although beeing tempted)

Looks good, looks really good. Some may call me silly or paranoid, but as long as the online requirement to play is still in play, they can keep it. I don't like the umbilical cord. Some say I'll be missing out but hey, I never got the chance to see the Beatles live either, but it didn't hurt me.

CJ