Sign in to follow this  
Fortiesboy

Have to smile .....

Okay, decide for yourself if this sim is not for you, all SP here.

"enough said"

Enjoy,

WF2

P.S. its even better in full screen view!

I don't think the debate was ever about how good it looks, or sounds... flys whatever...

But I don't see any of THESE flying around... but P4 ... one never knows....

Now that I've posted this, and will probably get solitary for it... I think it's time we winded this discussion down. It's taken it's course.

OvS

post-45836-1244900001_thumb.jpg

Okay, decide for yourself if this sim is not for you, all SP here.

..snip video...

"enough said"

Enjoy,

WF2

P.S. its even better in full screen view!

I saw this over on the ROF forum, it's very impressive WF2; Posting it here isn't going to get this thread deleted :wink:

I made the following comment on the ROF forum, and after viewing it again, I still feel the same about it:

"I really like the CP details, the vibration of the gun mounts and the animation as they're fired. Damage modeling is also terrific, can't wait to fly it. Sounds are top notch and believable. As before, the lighting on the plane is great and the clouds and haze look really good.

The landscape seems to vary in effectivenes from video to video, sometimes it looks outstanding, other times, like here it looks just OK to me and I've never thought the trenches/nomans land looked that great, to uniform in appearance.

What still bothers me are the rivers in some of the videos. You can especially notice the problems near the start of this video with strange dead end appendages, twists, etc. I'm sure they will get around to working on it, but right now they really look odd to me, where as the effect of the water at low altitude is pretty amazing."

Some one else pointed out that the AI didn't seem very aggressive, I've noticed this in some other videos, but we'll just have to wait and see. He had the guns on unlimited ammo, hence the non stop shooting and it's several videos spliced together.

Some of the videos look very different then others; in some the terrain looks almost cartoonish, too smooth and too colorful, in others it is just amazing looking and convincing.. the best I have seen. In some videos the ground is completely covered with grass at low level, it's even animated and very convincing, but there is just too much of it, especially on an air fields, not a sign of dirt or worn areas, which makes it look phony. In other videos it looks much better with dirt and grass variation... more like the work in OFF, which I still feel is the best consistent terrain work I've seen in a flight SIM. The trenches just don't look good, to me, OFF has done a much better job modeling the look of the battle areas. In some of the ROF screen shots you can even see patterns of non stop explosion holes marching away into the distance in obvious pattern, like in the old RedBaron terrain.. was really surprised that slipped through. The rivers in some of the videos, like this one, look really odd (see about 2:30 into the video) with strange appendages and turns and twists. But down low the rendering of water is pretty amazing with sky reflection of clouds and objects, transparency and animation, though too clear and clean in most shots I've seen it's still pretty amazing.

I'm sure that most of the problems will be ironed out with time, other things, like the connection requirements, the lean content, the lack of a dynamic campaign, the weak SP? (we don't even know for sure yet), etc., isn't going to prevent many from buying it, I just don't know if it will hold their attention long enough for the game to stay afloat. Like others have said, I support their efforts, and a LOT of effort has gone into it. My understanding is that they have also kept it very open for participation by those who want to make skins, planes, etc., but again, we'll just have to wait and see.

[/size]

Edited by rabu

I don't think the debate was ever about how good it looks, or sounds... flys whatever...

Now that I've posted this, and will probably get solitary for it... I think it's time we winded this discussion down. It's taken it's course.

OvS

This has been a very civil and interesting discussion, with informative comments and opinions, all kept in the thread, so I see no harm in it, OVS, please don't close it or it will be used against OFF on the other forums in the worst way. Don't let WF2's post of the pretty ROF video push you over the edge. :biggrin:

HI WF2,

Thanks for posting the video. It was interesting for me as I do not scan the SIMHQ forum.

Why would we want to close a ROF thread?

Seems we will have new information and data daily on this WWI flight Sim.

I see nothing wrong with discussing RoF on this forum. It is a WWI flight sim and that's what we're all into right? I personally would love to fly the sim, but with the almost nonexistent SP side (I'm not an online flier and never have been) it really doesn't appeal to me in that respect. I'll pass for now but am not counting out a purchase in the future, if they expand the sim in ways that are more suitable to me and get rid of the online requirement, which is the biggest bitch that I have with it at this time.

How do you like the Razor WF2?

CJ

Edited by Cameljockey

HI WF2,

Thanks for posting the video. It was interesting for me as I do not scan the SIMHQ forum.

Why would we want to close a ROF thread?

Seems we will have new information and data daily on this WWI flight Sim.

We're not, as you can see I didn't. I just don't want it to go crazy now. All is as it was, it's a good thread. If you guys want to continue on, by all means. I just felt it kinda ran it's course, that's all. :)

BTW... what's with the Balloon being at 15K? That high, and the crew would be passed out in the bucket. It looks way too high from my perspective. They only raised them to between 3-7K.

OvS

I see nothing wrong with discussing RoF on this forum. It is a WWI flight sim and that's what we're all into right? I personally would love to fly the sim, but with the almost nonexistent SP side (I'm not an online flier and never have been) it really doesn't appeal to me in that respect. I'll pass for now but am not counting out a purchase in the future, if they expand the sim in ways that are more suitable to me and get rid of the online requirement, which is the biggest bitch that I have with it at this time.

How do you like the Razor WF2?

CJ

I just don't like the fact that I am stuck flying against a SPAD XIII or N28 if I want to fly German, which I always do. There needs to be more to this game than this

OvS

I think Pol just unlocked that door again. :nono: It'll be pots of iron oxide, umber and carbon black for you!

shredward

We're not, as you can see I didn't. I just don't want it to go crazy now. All is as it was, it's a good thread. If you guys want to continue on, by all means. I just felt it kinda ran it's course, that's all. :)

BTW... what's with the Balloon being at 15K? That high, and the crew would be passed out in the bucket. It looks way too high from my perspective. They only raised them to between 3-7K.

OvS

Thanks OVS, this thread permits me and others to keep up with the ROF as I have so little time but I do like the OFF3 forum for OFF3 news and now ROF news. It seems to fit in well as it is WWI flight sim and you guys know WWI history.

Good point on the Balloon, I agree its a bit too high (a developers work is never done on a flight sim).

Hopefully, everyone will be mature and avoid name calling and childish attacks which always seems the case to me on the OFF3 forum.

Edited by buddye

The video I posted was just to show what SP play was like since this is one part of the main point to this thread along with the Internet connection requirement.

In someway what this sim is showing us, is that the future in game play maybe a full time internet connection.

I hope no one took my statement " enough said " as closing this thread, I think the decussion here, between the lines, is more then just RoF, its the future of the way sim's are being marketed.

Cheers,

WF2

Having watched the video, several things come to mind.

I am with Cameljockey= I want to buy and play this sim, but not while there is an online requirement.

I think the river water is brilliantly done. I think the player's aircraft crashing Dm is well done.

However, I think the terrain is not a good as OFF's. Much more bland in comparison ( sliders at 4 in OFF )

I have just as good DM manifested in OFF as far as the shot down AI is concerned, having modded the xdps as explained in my relevant threads on the subject. ( see elsewhere in the forum )

So, nothing new there. If you don't have that, you know what to do- :yes:

The cockpit has moving parts to guns - very nice, but overall the cockpit is no better than OFF.

So, again - I would like to fly it, but please Neoqb, remove the barrier.

Yeah, the lack of aircraft sucks too. I predominantly fly German myself regardless of the nik, and I abhor SPADS. IMO they're junk. My favorite bird is the DrI. Unfortunately it was slow and couldn't compete from mid to late 1918. That's where the DVII excelled. It's a SPAD eater. There just weren't enough of them available at the right time to be a factor in the air war.

CJ

I hope no one took my statement " enough said " as closing this thread, I think the decussion here, between the lines, is more then just RoF, its the future of the way sim's are being marketed.

ROF's marketing Strategy and if it will make money is one of the prime interest but that story is way down stream.

The video does not show off the AI. Hope it is just the video.

Edited by buddye

by the way, has anybody noticed that on both, OFF and RoF in the comments of the various youtube vids, a lot of people are asking wow, what is it? is it red baron 4? where can i get it? is it an addon? and stuff like this. and rarely any of them has ever got an answer. i think if any of us who have access to youttube would anser the questions to those people and guide them to the main site or our forum, it might increase salesnumbers and attract more people. i think there is a ton of people out there who don't have a clou there are new sims out there, and who still sit in front of red baron 2.

Ya know, I never even thought to look. I just watch the vids and leave. I'll pay more attention next time.

CJ

I've decided to put in an order for the game, despite my strong reservations about the online single player requirement. The way I figure it-- I didn't spend money on flight sims very much between Red Baron 3d and OFF Phase 3. I did buy CFS 3 (CFS, CFS2, FS2004 I got as gifts). But besides that one purchase plus the gifts, I waited patiently for an upgraded WW1 sim to come along. OFF was it, but RoF has also come onto the scene. I figure, well if things work out for RoF-- then great. But regardless I'll always have the quality OFF product. I figure not having bought much in the way of sims for all those years, I will play a little gamble with RoF and hope it pans out as a quality sim in its own right. I am a bit uneasy with the online bit, but I have had success with the Steam platform so far, and that's much more intrusive than RoF stuff is. I'll give it a shot, while at the same time having some reservations about it.

Edited by SirMike1983

Okay, I've been away for awhile so I'll chip in my ROF 2 cents. I just watched the vid WF2 posted, not the first ROF vid I've watched, and I would be sick to my stomach after seeing this and then finding out my computer would not run it properly. Lucky me I have OFF BH&H. They share a lot in common I think. Some differences I noticed were that the engine sound seemed like it was at near stall rpms, that single player might mean that there is one E/A in the air with you, there was no checking the 6, seemed like a turkey shoot each time. It looks good indeed. I cannot judge from the videos so my thoughts are not worth much. Right now with this computer I have my WWI air sim needs met. Long live WWI flight sims.

by the way, has anybody noticed that on both, OFF and RoF in the comments of the various youtube vids, a lot of people are asking wow, what is it? is it red baron 4? where can i get it? is it an addon? and stuff like this. and rarely any of them has ever got an answer. i think if any of us who have access to youttube would anser the questions to those people and guide them to the main site or our forum, it might increase salesnumbers and attract more people. i think there is a ton of people out there who don't have a clou there are new sims out there, and who still sit in front of red baron 2.

Good idea, Creaghorn. What I've found though, is a lot of times, those players are just ignoring OFF, pretending like it doesn't exist, or they've heard the, "it's just CFS3 put downs, and if you bring it up you get very negative responses. Still, can't hurt to try.. I know, I always do. :wink:

Would you please see this thread and tell me if I was being overly critical of ROF? I got blasted for mentioning what some one else had pointed out, and maybe my come back was overly paranoid (you would have to be familiar with how much I've been attacked), but I think the put downs of OFF were unwarranted.

See it here (click)

No Rabu you were not being critical or paranoid concerning RoF. I have been at the RoF forums at SimHq for sometime (mostly lurking, sometimes posting) and seen you got roughed-up quite a few time over there, even when your were complimenting RoF. The major incident that comes to my mind was someone posted some screenies of CW and everyone was making overly nice comments about it (to me they looked okay, but not that spectacular at that stage of development), you then posted some BHaH screenies and they were on you like a pack of wolfs, what a double standard. I also feel FlyX tried a fast one with the "small feet" & "big head" screen shots, you called him on it and nailed him (good for you :good: ). I especially like the guy who tried to make the point that the pilots in RoF look small because people from the early 1900's were smaller in stature compared to people in this day and age, he's probably about 1000 years off on that one :biggrin: , but for arguments sake lets say he's right. Would aircraft designers of that time knowingly design cockpits for pilots that are 6' and over when the average height for people from that time (according to him) was 5'6"? Instead of just saying "yeah the pilots are undersized" they latch on to a weak counterpoint and try to make it scientific fact so it's okay and correct. Your comparison pictures of the OFF DVII pilot in plane and RoF DVII pilot in plane pretty much said it all, the pilots in RoF are undersized. FlyXs counterpoint photos back you up in my view, because no matter where the pilot was sitting (high or low) in the cockpit their heads are still bigger then what RoF renders. The thing that puzzles me is that people here at this forum say they will buy RoF as it stands now (some already have), or later after seeing reviews, or if the online connection part is dropped for SP. I have yet seen anyone here say they wouldn't buy RoF under any condition (including myself). Thats not the same view at the RoF forum concerning BHaH at all, it's more like don't waste your money PERIOD. If these people were true WWI flight sim fans BHaH would be in their stable reguardless if it was so-so or excellent. Honestly I think some of these guys do have BHaH but won't admit it anyway. If I do end up getting RoF (most likely) I will have three WWI simulators, all they will have is one, so yeah their big WWI sim fans :rolleyes:

No Rabu you were not being critical or paranoid concerning RoF. I have been at the RoF forums at SimHq for sometime ..snip..

Thanks, GZ :salute:

Yeah, I monitored that thread too Rabu. Can't remember if I posted or not on that one but I have experienced the pack(gang) mentality at SimHQ, and some of the so-called SimHQ "Lifers" the worst of the bunch. I joined over a year ago and have around 60 or so posts. Judging by the number of posts I have here since March you can tell where I spend most of my time. I like my friends. :biggrin:

CJ

I must say, from what I've read on that forum looking for info, I have seen the worst tripe and inanity from that fly_retired. I have another pet name for him, but i won't descend to his level.I must also say, that I am getting back into Falcon 4.0 and that forum is well stocked with juveniles and bores. This is still the best and most civil forum I've seen, even with it's faults.

I would really like to try ROF but the online requirement gives me pause. But I can tell you that no matter what, with my relationship with OFF, all I've seen, all I've experienced and the devs and people here, OFF will always be my first love.

Having watched the dogfight video, it's really very impressive. I esp. liked the vibration while the engines running and the airplanes don't always burn when they crash. But.....I've said this since the first videos came out. Detailed and very good as the scenery is, something still doesn't look right. I can't put my finger on it, I can't tell if it's lighting or shading or what. It looks excellent, but doesn't quite deliver the suspension of disbelief to me that OFF does. I still want to try it though. Would love to get a demo. Did someone say Empire at War need a connection too?

Edited by Mr. Lucky

Holy-moly! How did I miss the D.vIII OvS posted? I flew right by it and did not even see her! ... its been a long week.

That is most impressive. Excellent skinning, how about a view from her belly to see the wing colors?

What were we talking about in this thread Rofffff ... something? You got to let me fly her around the field, please, pretty please .... come on guy's I'm dieing here!

Fantastic! :ok:

WF2

After checking out the video WF2 posted, I noticed the following good and bad things (IMHO) about RoF.

On the plus side, the moving gun hammers along with the shifting shadows and lighting effects in the cockpit really add to the immersion. Also, I think the rivers look very nice and the damage effects are exciting. The plane crashes are exceptionally well done.

On the minus side, how many times can you shoot down the same type of aircraft before the excitement wears off? I am sure I'll get RoF and play the hell out of it just to check out the eye candy and damage modeling, but honestly there is a severe lack of diversity in the RoF skies at this time. 4 Planes total? Only 2 or 3 flyable? Maybe I'll get addicted to the on-line MP dogfights, but to be honest that video made me feel more like I was watching some slick new Nvidia or Intel demo designed to show off the processing power of some new card or chip instead of making me feel like I was engaged in real WWI air combat. With just the one or two planes in the sky it all felt kind of...sterile...for lack of a better word. I'm not ripping RoF at all. It looks gorgeous and I'm excited to try a game that fully supports my juiced up 4 Ghz i7 Quad Core processor w/ 6 GB of RAM. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else, but it just didn't "feel" like war to me watching the video. It felt kind of sterile and lonely, even though it looked absolutely beautiful. OFF BHaH, by contrast, always makes me feel like I'm in a desperate, epic dogfight surrounded by the comrades in my squadron and my opponents who are anxious and eager to kill me given any chance. The sheer number and variety of planes in OFF BHaH makes the air war "feel" like a real war. You never know what's going to attack you next. In RoF, after the 30th mission I think I'll find myself saying "oh, look. Another Spad." It will look beautiful, but it'll be the 200th one I've seen and little to nothing of anything else.

In short, I think RoF has a lot of potential, presuming they can get enough customers to over come the dislike of a constant internet connection. I just think OFF BHaH has a clear and substantial lead on content, depth and immersion. I suspect with the add on plane pack and a P4 in the works, that lead will probably only get bigger for quite some time to come.

/salute

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade