Sign in to follow this  
brian79

Embarassing SF2V Question

I'm sure this question has already been asked, and I'm sureverybody will just roll their eyes at me over this, but here it is:

How do you add third party aircraft and weapons to SF2V? I've never had any trouble getting addons to work in SFP1, WOV, etc, but the file structure of SF2V is perplexing me. I've searched the forums and I can't find the answer. I love SF2 because it finally allows me to run on Vista, but I miss all the great Mirage Factory planes!

Read Here: It explain the file structure then add planes like normal.

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showt...view=getnewpost

Okay, so I've created the file structure:

QUOTE (TK @ Apr 2 2009, 01:37 PM)

If your mod folder is set to C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2, they should be:

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Effects

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Sounds

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Objects\Decals

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Objects\Pilots

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Objects\Weapons

All seats (as well as pilots) related files go into Pilots folder.

TK

And thrown in add-on aircraft but they still don't show up when i run the game. The game runs fine, but I only get stock planes. Any ideas?

Okay, so I've created the file structure:

QUOTE (TK @ Apr 2 2009, 01:37 PM)

If your mod folder is set to C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2, they should be:

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Effects

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Sounds

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Objects\Decals

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Objects\Pilots

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Objects\Weapons

All seats (as well as pilots) related files go into Pilots folder.

TK

And thrown in add-on aircraft but they still don't show up when i run the game. The game runs fine, but I only get stock planes. Any ideas?

After you run the sim first time it will create the Aircraft and Ground objects folder. Then you add the Decals, Pilots folders etc etc. Me thinks you haven't found the folders it created then worked from there.

After you run the sim first time it will create the Aircraft and Ground objects folder. Then you add the Decals, Pilots folders etc etc. Me thinks you haven't found the folders it created then worked from there.

Yup. Since you might be talking about SF2V and not SF2, then the save game folder might be slightly different.

Yup. Since you might be talking about SF2V and not SF2, then the save game folder might be slightly different.

Well - nuts. Should I uninstall the game and start all over? I never had any folders populate on their own, and nothing I'm doing seems to be changing. However, the game runs fine, so I guess I should be happy about that. The goofy thing is that I never had trouble like this with SFP1 or WOV.

Surely I am not the only one having this problem.

Either that or I am a bigger idiot than I thought (i.e. my wife has been right all along).

Funny, since you're on Vista, then they should all be in your Saved Games folder.

Check options.ini and see where the mods folders are in your particular installation.

Well - nuts. Should I uninstall the game and start all over? I never had any folders populate on their own, and nothing I'm doing seems to be changing. However, the game runs fine, so I guess I should be happy about that. The goofy thing is that I never had trouble like this with SFP1 or WOV.

Surely I am not the only one having this problem.

Either that or I am a bigger idiot than I thought (i.e. my wife has been right all along).

Make sure you are not putting the files into where you have installed the actual game - if that makes sense. With SF2 you dont touch or go near the game files like you did with the first series - all mods must go into the special mods folders which will be in a different location (saved games) to the actual game. If you see a folder called "Core" then you are totally in the wrong place

Make sure you are not putting the files into where you have installed the actual game - if that makes sense. With SF2 you dont touch or go near the game files like you did with the first series - all mods must go into the special mods folders which will be in a different location (saved games) to the actual game. If you see a folder called "Core" then you are totally in the wrong place

I'm an idiot. I have been messing with tte core files and not those in SavedGames. Ugh. Well, now that I've figured out where to add things I have a new problem. I tried updating my weapons folder with one of the latest weapons packs and now the game crashes on startup. I'm sure I've screwed up my weaponsdata.ini, but I've heard other people say they aren't using one at all. I finally got the game to stop crashing, but the loadout for every aircraft is empty with no options to add anything (it's pretty rough to operate with only guns!)

So I guess my new questions is this - if I want to run the game with all the weapons available in the latest weapons pack - how do I accomplish this?

I'm an idiot. I have been messing with tte core files and not those in SavedGames. Ugh. Well, now that I've figured out where to add things I have a new problem. I tried updating my weapons folder with one of the latest weapons packs and now the game crashes on startup. I'm sure I've screwed up my weaponsdata.ini, but I've heard other people say they aren't using one at all. I finally got the game to stop crashing, but the loadout for every aircraft is empty with no options to add anything (it's pretty rough to operate with only guns!)

So I guess my new questions is this - if I want to run the game with all the weapons available in the latest weapons pack - how do I accomplish this?

Weapons pack should be SF2-specific. WOX series packs won't work. The structure changed on that end as well.

Edited by jomni

I have an even more embarassing question about SF2... how different is it from SF/WOE/WOV/WOI?

:blush:

Is it worth buying or should I stick to the original TW series?

I have an even more embarassing question about SF2... how different is it from SF/WOE/WOV/WOI?

:blush:

Is it worth buying or should I stick to the original TW series?

Gameplay-wise they are exactly the same as the older titles. It actually lacks multiplayer if you care about it.

But the RWR avionics is greatly improved for the more modern jets.

Moreover, looks like new series will get all the TW support with regards to patches. Old series may not be patched any more (or as frequently).

Because of the new mod structure that makes modding simpler, old mods will not work anymore (ironic isn't it). But most modders are doing SF2 stuff as we speak.

SF2/V/E is totally worth getting if you like SF! :grin:

Whether it will be worthwhile to dump the older ones that you've already tweaked as you like, well, that's a preference. The lack of MP irritates me, but I'm in a minority on that count. Nevertheless, I buy the SF2 releases to show continued support to TK in hopes that he WILL make a new title with great MP (as opposed to the lackluster MP of the original series).

For example, other than 1 brief period with one patch revision (I forget which one, but it was post-release and pre-expansion pack) you can't use the RAF SE.5a in coop MP in First Eagles. Any attempt to put a human player in it (host or client) and that player CTDs. You can fight against them or even alongside them, just no human can sit in the cockpit. Plane works fine in SP! So I'm bugged by that, but I've resigned myself to MP being an afterthought in the older titles and absent in the new ones for now.