Sign in to follow this  
DarthRevan

The Movie "Behind Enemy Lines" (Wilson/Hackman)

I just watch the movie Behind Enemy Lines with Gene Hackman and Owen Wilson. The movie makes me wonder one thing. The movie is suppose to be in the end of the Ex Yugoslavian war. In the Movie Owen Wilson is a navigator on an F Bug. Did the Superhornet really flew in Bosnia or has Hollywood missed something? I thought the War ended before the Superhornet was operational.

IOC might have been around 2001 for the FA-18E and F and if so missed Allied Force by a few years. NATO may have been flying recce missions around that area for some years after though - but not sure on details.

I couldn't get past the opening sequence with the BFM against a SAM...just way, WAAAY too Hollywood. Too bad, because I like Owen Wilson and Gene Hackman.

FC

I watched this again (4th time maybe) today. It's a good movie if you ask me, not typical hollywood IMO. Wilson and Hackman makes good parts in it. In fact I didn't liked Wilson as an actor before this one.

And, yes Silverbolt, the SAM sequence is terrible. We all know it. Yet fun to watch.

But that manhunter is still brilliant badguy :diablo:

when I saw first pics from GTA 4 I knew who they based main character on...

I remember after release some members from OFP/ARMA community had looong flaming discussion about his sniper rifle model. Don't remember the result :grandpa:

The movie wasn't really supposed to be at any real point in that war. It was just a recognizable (remember it was made/written before Sept 11th) area to have a guy in that situation. Not every movie is/needs to be based on some real event.

Yeah the SAM scene was BS, but it was entertaining, maybe not to the minority of people that actually know what is supposed to happen, but to the millions of people just trying to be entertained and could care less about little details, they liked it, which is the point of making the movie: hopefully entertain the masses.

Edited by Jeremiah Weed

To be honest with you, I kind of got bored during the movie, great sound effects and liked the parts where he was evading capture.

I still can not figure out why an Admiral would fly into combat ( I thought it became touchy after few deaths and incidents during the Vietnam era), and why would Marine Hueys take off from a super carrier and not a LHA/LHD?

That movie was pure excellence! And so realistic.

Just kidding. It was entertaining. I didn't read much more into it. I did like the way they wrote in a true life event (ethnic cleansing) into the plot. The aviation scenes were cool. The flares were nice to watch.

Edited by ST0RM

Uhh... Is it the movie where a pilot get very surprised that they fired a second SAM at him?

The whole sam sequance was all C.G.I. Very Hollywooded if thats a word. I like the ejection w/all the stuff that happens in a split second how they slowed it down. But that guy in the sweat suit was a crapy shot.

Well, if in the SAM sequence, instead of a Uber-missile, they loosed at them salvos of SA-13,

it wuld have been pretty good. Maybe changing SuperBug for Tomcat could have made it

historically accurate for the war. The film is from 2001, before september, so by the time

F/A-18F was still to get fully into operations, IIRC

In this move were used some BVP-1s from our mechanized batlion. I was on present service in 2000/2001. Our BVP-1s continues some time after "Behind Enemy Lines" episode with stencils from film under nose section.

One from "butcher wagons" was used for scene where BVPs tower was blowed up after hit. "butcher wagons" had no cannon towers, so there was made new special for blow up section. You can see "bang it" in film.

From my point of view... Interesting film. Final scenes were funny/absurd when helicopters are masacring mechanized comapanies and all bad guys can not hit enything but helis hit everything... But its normal for this kind of films... Anyway, interesting, cos I know that few friends and "friend" vehicles were there :biggrin:

Edited by kukulino

This movie was truly inspired to what happened to Cpt. Scott F. O'Grady:

Scott F. O'Grady (born October 12, 1965 in Brooklyn, New York) is a former United States Air Force captain who gained prominence after the Mrkonjić Grad incident, in which he ejected over Bosnia when his F-16C 89-2032/AV was shot down by a Bosnian Serb SA-6 on June 2, 1995 while patrolling the no-fly zone (flying with call sign Basher 52).

I really now this story, he was one of my guardian angels here in Aviano AFB.

Say "was" only because he was transferred to other base after.

this is the story:

Scott F. O'Grady (born October 12, 1965 in Brooklyn, New York) is a former United States Air Force captain who gained prominence after the Mrkonjić Grad incident, in which he ejected over Bosnia when his F-16C 89-2032/AV was shot down by a Bosnian Serb SA-6 on June 2, 1995 while patrolling the no-fly zone (flying with call sign Basher 52).

The incident occurred near Mrkonjić Grad in Serb territory. He survived for six days by eating leaves, grass and ants, and avoiding Serb patrols whilst trying to contact Magic, NATO's airborne command center. He evaded capture and was rescued six days later, on 8 June, by U.S. Marines of the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit based on the USS Kearsarge.

Their mission, known as a TRAP (Tactical Recovery of Aircraft and Personnel), was something they all had trained for and conducted many times as training exercises prior to the actual mission. Their parent unit, the 24th MEU-SOC, was actually the "standby" unit that was slated to go only after the primary unit in Italy waived off the mission and insisted on another day of prep.

The film Behind Enemy Lines is loosely based on his story. Although he gave it a positive rating on the movie review television show Hot Or Not, he sued the movie company in 2002 for making the film without his permission.

O'Grady penned two books along with Michael French and Jeff Coplon detailing his experiences of being shot down over Bosnia and his eventual rescue — Return with Honor and Basher Five-Two.

O'Grady graduated from Lewis and Clark High School in Spokane, Washington. He is a former cadet in the Civil Air Patrol and a 1989 Air Force ROTC graduate from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. Three years after he was rescued, O'Grady left active duty in the U.S. Air Force. In May 2007, he completed a master's degree in biblical studies at Dallas Theological Seminary.

The incident was later depicted on the documentary television program Situation Critical in episode #5 "Downed Pilot", and "Escape! - Escape From Bosnia: The Scott O'Grady Story" on the History Channel.

Using Navy pilots instead USAF's,was i think to give USN a fresh image after TOP GUN (speaking about movies) and to show her latest product (SupaBug) after the Tomcat's goodbye.

F/A 18F was also newer compared to F-16 C's and Raptor wasn't operative in the same year (and too much newer)

Forgot to say that O'Grady's Squadron was the 555th "Triple Nickel" of the 31st FW.

So with other words Hollywood missed that the Superbug wasn't operational at that time?

Probably didn't miss anything. I mean the movie is pure fantasy, movies have a tendency to use the newest, hottest, or whatever military equipment.

this is the story:

The incident occurred near Mrkonjić Grad in Serb territory. He survived for six days by eating leaves, grass and ants, and avoiding Serb patrols whilst trying to contact Magic, NATO's airborne command center. He evaded capture and was rescued six days later, on 8 June, by U.S. Marines of the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit based on the USS Kearsarge.

Their mission, known as a TRAP (Tactical Recovery of Aircraft and Personnel), was something they all had trained for and conducted many times as training exercises prior to the actual mission. Their parent unit, the 24th MEU-SOC, was actually the "standby" unit that was slated to go only after the primary unit in Italy waived off the mission and insisted on another day of prep.

The film Behind Enemy Lines is loosely based on his story. Although he gave it a positive rating on the movie review television show Hot Or Not, he sued the movie company in 2002 for making the film without his permission.

O'Grady penned two books along with Michael French and Jeff Coplon detailing his experiences of being shot down over Bosnia and his eventual rescue — Return with Honor and Basher Five-Two.

O'Grady graduated from Lewis and Clark High School in Spokane, Washington. He is a former cadet in the Civil Air Patrol and a 1989 Air Force ROTC graduate from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. Three years after he was rescued, O'Grady left active duty in the U.S. Air Force. In May 2007, he completed a master's degree in biblical studies at Dallas Theological Seminary.

The incident was later depicted on the documentary television program Situation Critical in episode #5 "Downed Pilot", and "Escape! - Escape From Bosnia: The Scott O'Grady Story" on the History Channel.

The movie is also A "modern" remake of "BAT-21" (Loosely) that G.Hackmen stared in which is another trend of "HOLLYWOOD" the remake lol

Edited by Bounder

its been awhile since I saw the flick (so so bit of hollywood nonsense)

but I thought it was an F-14 Tarps mission being depicted.

and yes, updated version of Bat21 but not nearly as good.

nope - just looked at the clip and it certainly was a bug...........

Edited by Typhoid

The movie is also A "modern" remake of "BAT-21" (Loosely) that G.Hackmen stared in which is another trend of "HOLLYWOOD" the remake lol

Yeah Bat 21 took the Hamilton incident to a stretch at the end. If they would have stuck to the original story, it would have been just as good, I mean come on, when is a seal team in a movie not good?

The first two Tomcat squadrons to transition to the Super Bug were VF(A)-14 and VF(A)-41, which happened in December of 2001. So, unless any other Legacy Bug squadrons were replaced prior, the Super Bug wouldn't have been there at that point in time.

This movie was pretty good, but after the shootdown scene I lost interest quick. I don't know why I guess it just got too Hollywood after that.

The F/A-18F was flying for the Navy in the time period in which the film is set (1999-2001). But the Super Hornet didn't make its combat debut until 2002 over Afghanistan.

Edited by warthog64

this is the story...

The primary unit being the joint 20th/21st SOS MH-53J Det out of Brindisi, Italy. The reason we declined was that O'Grady demanded immediate recovery on the 6th DAY. Pavelows don't purposely operate in daytime, as the package is much smaller than a USMC TRAP, and rely on darkness for a clandestine infil/exfil. So the choice was made to send in the Marines for the extraction since they had the firepower ready to go. They had a successful pickup.

-S