Sign in to follow this  
Laton

Persistant smoke from downed aircraft

Hi guys, got this working:

Lasting smoke from crashed aircraft.

crash4.jpg

crash5.jpg

Extract the attached files into your effects folder. I've included my ground fire smoke effect as well.

I haven't done a lot of testing to see how long it lasts but it should be a good while.

Crash.rar

Edited by Laton

Damn, just noticed this:

If an aircraft explodes in mid-air you'll get the effect hanging in space :blink:

crashoops.jpg

I'll leave the effect up but use at your own discretion, you may find the occasional oddity.

I'll see if I can fix it :blush:

Opened a can of worms with that one :rofl: .

Just playing around. If you can figure a way to correct that minor problem, this would be an awsome addition. :good:

It always seems to work that way doesnt it? You fix one thing but it affects another. :rolleyes:

Glad someone started to tackle this though. Very needed effect.

How the hell do you find time for this by the way??? Aren't you supposed to be building a plane? :biggrin:

Yeah, always the way :sorry:

It's a trade-off I guess. Mid-air explosions seem fairly rare, crashed aircraft are common :biggrin:

I'll keep working on it, but here is another version to play with, added a small fire and changed the smoke colour a bit.

Messing around with this kind of thing keeps me sane :crazy: for the 3D work

crash2.rar

I had played with this some not too long ago and ran into the same thing. Don't know if there is a way to eliminate A/C explosions in the air, what exactly causes them to explode, or if doing so would interfere with them exploding when the hit the ground?? Got distracted with something else and never followed up.

SF2E engine added smoldering plane wreckage effect (BTW wreck is different for parked and ex-flying planes). FE remake will have some of that I guess...

SF2E engine added smoldering plane wreckage effect (BTW wreck is different for parked and ex-flying planes). FE remake will have some of that I guess...

Do WWI planes explode or persistently burn?

I was under the impression that you only get a wreck but not a smoldering one.

In SF2:E plane leaves a black wreck with a fire in the middle and some smoke coming out. If the plane crashed, it leaves one wreck, in it had gear down, it leaves wreck with gear.

I think for WWI one could just leave the engine and a few bare elements of the frame.

Could these smoke files some how be created as a ground object?? To be used in mission building. Or even "Types" in terrain object files.

The plumes could be created in different sizes or even colors.

They could be placed around the front lines to show a somewhat battle scene.

They could be added in say a truck file or AAA file that is already destroyed at the start of a mission.

It would be a cool sight to see the smoke plumes on the horizon when approaching the fron lines :ok:

"No Mans Land"

Thks Laton. These FX's are awsome :clapping: . I didnt get any floating plumes in the sky yet.

They seem to blow with the wind. Hmmm :good:

Edited by quack74

Well, perhaps you could mod a small crater lod with a long lasting smoke effect and use that for the destroyed lod, just to test. Get a better destroyed lod from a 3D modder after...

Hello Quack

Not to steal the thread, but... the pics that you included in your post above show a beautiful photo realistic landscape. Whose Terrain Tiles Set are you using in your Simm, if I might ask?

OlPaint01

It's just the Flanders Terrain from the Download section

Laton, could you tone down the brownish color in the base of the smoke plume? As you can see from the above screenshots the plumes look too yellow from a distance. Maybe just dont make the yellow-brown color rise up so high.

Just my opinion. Dont want to sound pushy. I would do it myself but I have no idea what any of that stuff means in the files :no::rolleyes:

Hey Quack

If you open up the AircraftCrashSmokeEmitter.ini file

and use these lines

ParticleColor[01].Time=0.000000

ParticleColor[01].Value=0.200000,0.200000,0.200000,0.100000

ParticleColor[02].Time=0.200000

ParticleColor[02].Value=0.200000,0.200000,0.2000000,0.400000

ParticleColor[03].Time=0.800000

ParticleColor[03].Value=0.2500000,0.2500000,0.2500000,0.30000

ParticleColor[04].Time=1.000000

ParticleColor[04].Value=0.300000,0.300000,0.3000000,0.0000000

to replace the existing ones that should do the trick.

Hmmm....I've been trying to check something out and I can't seem to get a mid-air explosion to happen. I must have flown 8 or 10 missions last night with enemy air activity set to heavy. Furballs with 16 to 24 planes and not one mid air explosion...maybe its not such a problem after. :smile: Are there aircraft more prone to blowing up than others?

I've noticed this too. I havent had an explosion in a long time. Thats a good thing with this new effect I guess :yes:

Not quite explosions seen, but as my last combats have been 20 Vs. 20 some IA ramming happened (some too close :blink: )

The smoke rising effect will be great (I´m downloadingit now). Great memories from IL2 and those heavy combats over little space, leaving lots of trails rising from the ground. When the combat has finished and you see all of themyou think...pheeeeuuu! What lucky I´ve been!...

Thought I'd drag this one up again. I have been using it since Laton released it and have only seen the mid air smoke plume maybe 2 or 3 times since. So its not such an issue, really. This mod does add a lot to the game. Thanks again, Laton. :good: