Sign in to follow this  
Balalaika

OT: Der Rote Baron - is there an english version out there?

Hey flyers,

Regardless of what you may think of the movie, has anyone ever seen it with spoken/subtitled english language?

It's hard to believe they spent the time on lavish costumes, what looks gorgeous cinematography, and great visual effects to film a story about a German, with German actors, IN ENGLISH and then DUBBED it back into German and never did anything with the original english language print.  or maybe they did, and someone here knows all about it.

Any info would be most appreciated, thank you.

Well i just Wiki'd The Red Baron Movie and it states there that it is in English and German,im assuming they mean in the spoken word and not subtitled.

I hope so 'coz i'd really like to see it,even though its had a bit of a slating.

I have a copy in English sent to me as a gift from a foreign friend. Good flick. Not very historical but what the hell, it's a good way to kill a couple of hours.

CJ

That's great news CJ. I bought the movie on blu-ray, thinking that *maybe* as its a new release on a premium format, there would be at least subtitles in english - alas no.

Please can you post any info on your copy? Make/producer of dvd, I dunno - anything that may help me try to track down the elusive thing - thanks!

It's an awful movie.

Manages to make FlyBoys look great in comparison.

have yet to see it on DVD either (Probably too ashamed to show it's face). Will get it as soon as I see available though. If only so I throw it across the room in disgust.

Misses out all the really important stuff and in singularly lacking in dogfights for a movie about THE fighter Ace.

Historically inaccuate to the point of embaressment at times.

Why do film makers feel the need to rewrite history so much, when the truth is actually far more interesting?

Edited by shredward

It's an awful movie.

Manages to make FlyBoys look great in comparison.

have yet to see it on DVD either (Probably too ashamed to show it's face). Will get it as soon as I see available though. If only so I throw it across the room in disgust.

Misses out all the really important stuff and in singularly lacking in dogfights for a movie about THE fighter Ace.

Historically inaccuate to the point of embaressment at times.

Why do film makers feel the need to rewrite history so much, when the truth is actually far more interesting?

I have to agree 100%. It was awful. Seeing Lothar looking like a whining little brat was the top of the cake. The whole movie was just unbearable and pathetic.

They didn't even get Hawker's demise correct.. an SE5a?

They rewrite it when it's already scripted for them right under their noses.

The only thing cool about this movie was seeing what the skies over Flanders might have looked like with all the really cool planes... but then again, I get the right out of OFF. LOL!

OvS

It's gotten pretty bad reviews, but still....I'd like to see it. I wonder how long English speaking audiences will have to wait for this movie made (in English) for English speaking audiences. Sigh.

I have an "English" copy, it is quite bad, there are downloads out there,but it is usually a waste of download time.

well, i'm not gonna watch it for a history lesson.

wanna just sit and watch a well produced period drama with me wife, that has WW1 Planes in it!!

Edited by Balalaika

It's got a love story ( :sleep: ) for the wife and some, not a whole lot, of flying sequences. The aerodrome shots are good with all the planes sitting around. Actually it was filmed in English, German subtitles were used after the fact. I just wish the Albatros' in OFF could dive like that without shedding the wings.

CJ

btw the Blue Max movie was great, historically accurate or not- fine movie. some of the shots with planes bombing the trenches are awesome. I highly recommend it. Plus one of the few hollywood movies where the main character is a true 'anti-hero' - which gives it extra props. The stuntpilot had to fly under a bridge section with 4' clearance on each side 17 times to get the shot! I'd buy for that alone! £5 Morrisons - with 2 free movies included!

Aces high with old Malc, well very low budget and pretty blunt with its only message, but hey, its got planes in it.

Ya talked me into it Unc. I've seen it before but it's been awhile. It'll be here next week. $11.49 US delivered. Not bad.

CJ

Edited by Cameljockey

They didn't even get Hawker's demise correct.. an SE5a?

Hawker would have probably won that battle in an SE5a, even if MVR was flying the DR1. Although you have to wonder how the aircraft would have evolved if the SE5a had been operational in November 1916, Bloody April would not have happened for starters.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Hawker would have probably won that battle in an SE5a, even if MVR was flying the DR1. Although you have to wonder how the aircraft would have evolved if the SE5a had been operational in November 1916, Bloody April would not have happened for starters.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

I can't debate that. Hawker was flying for his life in the DH2, while as it was written, MvR was waiting for the right moment to kill him... I'd say it had a lot to do with both pilot's expert skills, but the German having the better machine of the Alb D.II.

I was more reffering to the movie using an SE5a as the plane Hawker was killed in.

I know I watched this movie with the wrong attitude, I tried not to do that. But even from a movie-goer's point of view, it was just pointless. I really felt that this was Germany's moment to pride itself in it's one true War hero they can be proud of. (No, don't forget Udet, but he was overshadowed as we all know). They really could have broken away from that Nazi barrier, and proved that Germany is really a great country with pride, a deep passionate history and good people... but no... they make this disaster and without a doubt, made MvR look common, and pretty much like any one else. He initially receives his PLM in a totally informal meeting with a Field Marshall, as if it was a box of cigarettes. He's mostly seen slinking around in sweaters, and very non-military attitude... which is far from the truth. He looked like a hippie with a haircut... very laid back, and loose. Not like the MvR I read about. He was tight, very militiant, as he grew up in the military, and was an Uhlan before being a pilot. But he was very good with his men, and cared deeply for them. Not quite a Patton, but cerainly an Ike.

They toss in a ficticious Jewish pilot into Jasta 11, as if to represent the entire German/Jewish community of WWI all in one... rather than stay away from the subject; as being Jewish/Catholic/Protestant/whatever... meant NOTHING to Germany in WWI... well other than a rather hurtful and embarrassing moment for Jasta 27's Willie Rosenstein, whom was belittled and insulted with anti-sematic crap at Mess time in front of the entire Jasta from none other than our favorite neighborhood pre-Nazi Jacka$$, Uncle Herman Göring (are you shocked?)... causing Willie to immediately demand a transfer out of J27 and eventually getting into J40s. Good for Willie!! Degelow and the boys took very good care of him and he survived the war!

So adding the Jewish pilot, was really uncalled for. In many scenes he's even wearing a yamika. There's no need to make that a point for observation, or noteriety. No one is wearing crosses or anything religious, why add that in? WWI was not about that at all, it was a class fight between commons and elite, as we saw in The Blue Max. Hence why Josef Mai never recieved higher rank or the PLM.

Those amoung many other points really brought the movie to a halt for me. But watch it, to each his own. It's not fair for me to go crazy on it, I'm just pointing out a couple of errors. I've read too many books on WWI not to be mis-guided by this movie.

All the best,

OvS

I can't debate that. Hawker was flying for his life in the DH2, while as it was written, MvR was waiting for the right moment to kill him... I'd say it had a lot to do with both pilot's expert skills, but the German having the better machine of the Alb D.II.

I was more reffering to the movie using an SE5a as the plane Hawker was killed in.

OVS,

I knew and agree the point you were making, I was just saying someone with the flying skill to stay alive for that long in an inferior plane in a dogfight was in my opinion a hell of a pilot and in an aircraft that was more equal to the one MVR was flying would have probably shot MVR down or at the worst escaped with his life.

I have not seen the film, so cannot comment but when you pointed out that it had Hawker in an SE5a and not a DH2, it made me immediately think of Aces High where a Fokker Eindekker is shot down over the lines in 1917. I always find that a very surreal sequence in Aces High.

Some day I may watch Der Rote Baron, if it ever becomes widely available in english, but all the reports I have heard about it make me feel it trivialises the man and his opponents.

I also am like you in that I read just about anything I can lay my hands on with regards to WW1, namely history books admittedly, although I do have an original copy of the full "Wipers Times" private eye style trench newspaper, which I would highly recommend as a good read to anyone who likes their humour a little on the dark side.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972