Sign in to follow this  
SneakyPete

Clickable Cockpits?

Any chance we are going to get a clickable cockpit in this sim? I would gladly give up a 3d cockpit for a high res 2d clickable cockpit.

It's generally easier on the framerate also, and unless the pilot is able to move his head/seat position around instead of just having the view pivot around a fixed axis, I see no benefit to a 3d cockpit and the added cpu usage required.

I've never seen a fighter pilot with a mouse in the cockpit, but rarely "on" the cockpit ;)

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/3389...rHunter_025.jpg

More seriously, I don't find very realistic, during a dogfight, to unhand my joystick and use a mouse to activate some device. Ok, I know, there's no PC keyboard in a jet fighter cockpit, however I prefer to have to push a key on my keyboard, like a real pilot would have to push a key on his side cockpit panels.

For instance, on this pic, you can see one of the "keyboards" in an Hawker Hunter cockpit:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/3389...RMk.71A_002.jpg

In my opinion, the best virtual cockpits are to be currently found in Lock-On and I would simply be very happy to have to same standard in Jet Thunder.

Cheers,

Humm....

I still prefer the full clickable cockpits like Falcon 4 SP3...

The LOMAC 3d pit is really good, but i see more "Realism" and Fun on a clickable cockpit...

Now, a 3d clickable cockpit would be pretty good :lol:

The reason I prefer a clickable cockpit is that some functions require several actions to complete them realistically, which is near impossible to do on a keyboard without memorizing 116 possible key commands. If the game is not an immersion sim with advanced functions, then a clickable cockpit is not really nescessary. If you need to set the parameters for a bomb site such as mode, ripple quantity, ripple amount, release mode, etc I prefer to have a weapons control panel that I reach for (using my mouse) to set it up. These are not functions you do in the middle of a dogfight, all those commands are generally simple and bound to the keyboard or your HOTAS setup.

I am not sure if the planes in Jet Thunder utilize any MFD's which are one of the greatest uses for a clickable cockpit, but as I stated, I personally prefer it for controlling weapons, ECM, fuel, and other functions. Basic functions like gear, flaps, speedbrakes, modes and such I bind to my HOTAS. A clickable cockpit does not take anything awyay from those who don't care to use it, A 3d cockpit that does not have the pilot change his viewing position is not much different than a 2d cockpit but takes more cpu and vid usage.

Edited by SneakyPete

with regards to clickable cockpits.. I dont really like 2d cockpits and dont want them in the game.

clickable cockpits in 3d is possible but not currently our most important priority. It might get in. hope is a good thing :)

3d cockpits add to the immersion because they look much better when head shake is modelled. And if I had 3d goggles it would look rather interesting too.

Fair enough, thanks for the reply. Maybe it could be just a a few panels in the cockpit, like the weapons control panel if you have the time, although I imagine clickable items in a 3d cockpit is much harder to implement.

I agree with SneakyPete, I would prefer to see a clickable cockpit also! Once a player gets to know better a certain aircraft(s) and where the instruments, buttons and handles are it's much easier and realistic (in my oppinion, that is) and even faster to operate the buttons and handles by clicking into them with the mouse than to memorize a combination of more than 100 keys in the keyboard!

At least that's what I think from my experience by playing Falcon 4.0 and Jane's F/A-18 that once again in my oppinion are the best modern Jet fighter sims made until now!

Well, hopefully, when the sim is released, we might see a fully 3D AND clickable pit like in Jane's F/A-18E. But, I bet the programming is a bitch, especially when you have to do it for multiple aircraft.

Well......

clickable Pit of more the realism to the simulator since we cannot click in the screens.... (still) ehehhehehheheh

A great example of clickable pitl is Janes F/A 18 and Falcon 4 ...

This the best simualdor that I know!

That it comes JET THUNDER AND FALCON V

:D

limited clickability for anything that is pilot intensive would be great if you have the time to do so.

I can pick up Jane's F-18 after not playing for months and still know what buttons to press in the cockpit to achieve any complex task. If i had to remember keystrokes there'd be no way :D

A clicable cockpit as for Falcon 4 and F/A 18 is ideal ...

But these analogicos flighters must be the majority....

I don't like clickable cockpits that much.

You need to pan the view away from the outside and you need to let go of the controls to grab the mouse.

While real pilots may have to this to I think looking at and reaching for a physical switch with with your arm is faster than doing the same with the mouse to a virtual switch.

Not much of a problem when you are setting a frequency while flying straight and level at 20000' but I prefer keys to arm my bombs while on a mastheight bombrun.

I won't mind as long as I can do all the important stuff with the keyboard.

Maybe they could put a little crosshair in the center and pan the view with the mouse. The crosshair is then the cursor.

Clickable Cockpits are hard to do for each jet

if you have 4-5 jets or more in a game....

that's why Jane's F/A-18 and Falcon 4, Sims that focus on 1 jet

are easier to make with clickable pits

i have to say that if you are not going to have clickable pits in JT

i wouldn't be dispointed so much, i understand the problem doing such thing....

in any way you go, good luck JT team ;)

"While real pilots may have to this to I think looking at and reaching for a physical switch with with your arm is faster than doing the same with the mouse to a virtual switch."

Exactly!

"I won't mind as long as I can do all the important stuff with the keyboard."

Me too ;)

Cheers,

Clickable Cockpits are hard to do for each jet

if you have 4-5 jets or more in a game....

that's why Jane's F/A-18 and Falcon 4, Sims that focus on 1 jet

are easier to make with clickable pits

i have to say that if you are not going to have clickable pits in JT

i wouldn't be dispointed so much, i understand the problem doing such thing....

in any way you go, good luck JT team ;)

If the Work is bigger also rewards it will be...

:D

clickable 3D pit without performance hit, and of course with keyboard equivilants would be awesome-- then everyone would be happy hehe

keep it up!

uhoh7