Hello guys,

I have small problem and don't know how to solve It.

After few starting missions I anihilated Migs. I've tried to edit campaign files as tutorial say, but no effect with replacing Migs. Still no enemy in the air. It's quite borring fly more than 120 missions without allmighty Migs. I post the campaign ini there, only short part about enemy forces.

[Force002]

Alignment=ENEMY

Nation=NVietnam

BaseArea=Hanoi

AirOffensive[001].Primary=WAREHOUSE

AirOffensive[001].Secondary=FUEL_STORAGE

AirOffensive[002].Primary=OIL_REFINERY,FUEL_STORAGE

AirOffensive[002].Secondary=COMM_BUILDING

AirOffensive[003].Primary=SMALL_RUNWAY

AirOffensive[003].Secondary=WAREHOUSE,POWER_PLANT

AirOffensive[004].Primary=COMM_BUILDING,POWER_PLANT

AirOffensive[004].Secondary=OIL_REFINERY,FUEL_STORAGE

AirOffensive[005].Primary=MEDIUM_RUNWAY

AirOffensive[005].Secondary=HANGAR,AMMO_STORAGE

AirOffensive[006].Primary=OIL_REFINERY,POWER_PLANT

AirOffensive[006].Secondary=COMM_BUILDING

AirOffensive[007].Primary=LARGE_RUNWAY

AirOffensive[007].Secondary=MEDIUM_RUNWAY,SMALL_RUNWAY

AirOffensive[008].Primary=CHEMICAL_WEAPONS_PLANT

AirOffensive[008].Secondary=OIL_REFINERY,COMM_BUILDING,POWER_PLANT

AirOffensive[009].Primary=COMMAND_BUILDING

AirOffensive[009].Secondary=LARGE_RUNWAY,MEDIUM_RUNWAY,CHEMICAL_WEAPONS_PLANT

AirOffensive[010].Primary=ANY

AirOffensive[010].Secondary=ANY

GroundOffensiveAllowed=FALSE

StartGroundOffensive=100

StartInterdiction=100

Morale=100

Supply=45

NormalSupplyRate=50

OffensiveSupplyRate=-20

DefensiveSupplyRate=-5

SupplyForOffensive=100

AircraftReplacementTime=3

AircraftReplacement=25

GroundUnitReplacementTime=180

GroundUnitReplacement=200

RandomTransportType=ANY

WeaponResupplyTime=180

StartAirDefenseLevel=1

I thought that:

AircraftReplacement=25

means after 3 days will be replaced 25% of total North Vietnameese Migs. But after 3 days of Campaign no enemy Migs in the air. :dntknw: Does anybody knows where is error pls?

Hello guys,

After few starting missions I anihilated Migs. I've tried to edit campaign files as tutorial say, but no effect with replacing Migs. Still no enemy in the air. It's quite borring fly more than 120 missions without allmighty Migs. I post the campaign ini there, only short part about enemy forces.

[Force002]

Alignment=ENEMY

Nation=NVietnam

BaseArea=Hanoi

StartGroundOffensive=100

StartInterdiction=100

Morale=100

Supply=45

NormalSupplyRate=50

OffensiveSupplyRate=-20

DefensiveSupplyRate=-5

SupplyForOffensive=100

AircraftReplacement=25

RandomTransportType=ANY

WeaponResupplyTime=180

StartAirDefenseLevel=1

I thought that:

AircraftReplacement=25

means after 3 days will be replaced 25% of total North Vietnameese Migs. But after 3 days of Campaign no enemy Migs in the air. :dntknw: Does anybody knows where is error pls?

try to boost to 50% and see watt hapens

There are only a small number of MiG squadrons in this campaign, which reflects the historical situation. In fact, only 7 enemy air units as opposed to about 154 US & S. Vietnamese air units. So, air opposition is always going to be thin on the ground, and I think TK said somewhere you can expect it to be completely wiped out relatively early on in the campaign.

The best way to get strong air opposition is to increase the number of enemy squadrons, and place them all round the available enemy airbases.

Just copy & paste from an existing enemy squadron, making sure to increase the [AirUnitxxx] entry in sequence.

You may also want to edit the UnitName= entry to give them a distinct name.

Then edit the BaseArea= entry for each of your new squadrons to distribute them around the available enemy airbases.

Also, increase the MaxAircraft= and StartAircraft= entry for each enemy air unit, to something like 16 or even 32 for each.

I think in stock Rolling Thunder, the MiG units are restricted to one or two airbases, which again I think is intended to reflect the historical position.

But for playability, I agree, the more bad guys around, the better :good:

Edited by Baltika

I think in stock Rolling Thunder, the MiG units are restricted to one or two airbases, which again I think is intended to reflect the historical position.

Were they bombed flat in RL as it happens in campaign? Even after patches airfields are the most frequent targets.

Were they bombed flat in RL as it happens in campaign? Even after patches airfields are the most frequent targets.

Well, I'm no expert on the Vietnam air war. I do know that while the latest SF2:V patch has fixed the Da Nang airfield strike bug, it remains an issue for WoV, even patched up to the most recent level. TK has said it may get fixed in the next round of patches, but that is at least a year or two away, even if the older series of titles gets patched again. I seem to recall somebody saying that it is frustrating because the rules of engagement did not in fact permit airfield strikes, but I could be completely wrong about that.

The VPAF had periods where they didn't go up - this seems to be after the current tactics they were using failed in a big way - they then changed tactics and started again.

There is a Hungarian Istvan Toperczer who has had access to the VPAFs files of that period and he has produced a couple of books based on this research.

He quotes that the end of 67 and Feb 1968 were busy for attacks on bases - though at the end of 72 the airfields were being Hit nearly every day however MiG operations still continued in a limited way despite being suppressed. They moved the jets around country - had a lot of airbases and a lot of chinese / NK engineers and locals to help repair the airfields. Also China was right next door and had safe haven airfields there - which is where they had to move training to in 72. there are no records for how many MiGs survived LBII he says. They

possibly had over 200 MiG-21/19/17s at the start of 72 (not confirmed).

MiG-19 combat operations ceased in Aug 72 due to combat losses and attrition - so should only be in Linebacker 1

I seem to recall somebody saying that it is frustrating because the rules of engagement did not in fact permit airfield strikes, but I could be completely wrong about that.

The first strikes on air bases were not allowed until around april/ may 1967

Thanks for the info :good:

Hello guys,

[Force002]

Alignment=ENEMY

Nation=NVietnam

BaseArea=Hanoi

StartGroundOffensive=100

StartInterdiction=100

Morale=100

Supply=45

NormalSupplyRate=50

OffensiveSupplyRate=-20

DefensiveSupplyRate=-5

SupplyForOffensive=100

AircraftReplacement=25

RandomTransportType=ANY

WeaponResupplyTime=180

StartAirDefenseLevel=1

I thought that:

AircraftReplacement=25

Also, make sure you're restarting the campaign after you make the changes to the data.ini file. I think things like supply levels and air unit strength are pulled from the data.ini when you start the campaign, but then the current levels are stored when the campaign saves. So to see those changes take effect, you probably need to restart the campaign.

And like Baltika said, it might be a good idea to increase the number of aircraft in each squadron.

*edit* - I just looked into the SF2 campaign1_Data.ini file again, and noticed most of the MiG squadrons have startnumber=0, startaircraft=20, and startpilots=20. What's "startnumber=" control?

Edited by malibu43

*edit* - I just looked into the SF2 campaign1_Data.ini file again, and noticed most of the MiG squadrons have startnumber=0, startaircraft=20, and startpilots=20. What's "startnumber=" control?

StartNumber= controls the start point for the individual a/c numbers for that squadron for decalling purposes. So, startnumber=0 will have that squadron's migs with number 00, 01, 02 on the nose. Startnumber=32 will give you numbers 32, 33, 34 etc on the nose.

I think the stock game comes with up to 100 or so numbers in this way. It is useful for e.g. lots of different a/c serial numbers where you have a variety of squadrons flying the same plane.