Farman HF 20 recon mission :

Enroute to target :

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

Facing ennemy defenses :

The enemy camp is successfully identified :

• Like 2

Did some "high-altitude" flying recently in the Fokk. E.Ia over the Palestine map with my flight after a successful mission, Jan. of '16, and sporting the new Trotskii skins for the Eindeckers. Managed to take a few snapshots of everything, with the simplified cloud/environsys setup (from the 8.6 FM update pack) that's good for higher frame rates on low-end systems - and I think it still looks good. What a flexible and beautiful flight sim.

Happy flying,

Von S

post-86760-0-08186300-1487479116_thumb.jpg

post-86760-0-00581600-1487479131_thumb.jpg

post-86760-0-00038800-1487479143_thumb.jpg

post-86760-0-28632800-1487479152_thumb.jpg

post-86760-0-80898600-1487479162_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

After seeing so many great looking terrain mods for FE2 I finally bought the game. Not disappointed!

First FE2 victory.

post-6894-0-19213500-1489690480_thumb.jpg

City scene.

post-6894-0-96806900-1489690608_thumb.jpg

For any other newbs that are checking out Gterls' Vosges terrain you will want to check this thread to see how to get the tods to work properly in FE2. [Gterl uses FE Gold.]

http://combatace.com/topic/89674-vosges-complete-rework-of-vogesen/page-3

That fix works for Jan Tumas' Verdun and Cambrai terrains as well.

• Like 5

you think I could get them to hold still for this pic

• Like 2

Hello fellow FE/FE2 flyers,

More experiments with cloud types, subtler wind speeds, and flare effects, among other things...also FM tweaks for several new models...have kept me busy. Will roll all of this eventually into a ver. 8.9 FM update pack, but thought I'd post a few pics of work in progress. The WOFF-style clouds are a 1MB compressed version of an obscure (4MB) Stary cloud that he did a while back for SF or SF2 (good for high fps); the sun and flare effects are also from one of his transitional environment patches for SF/SF2...but they give a nice effect in FE2. The atmosphere is particularly good with two new wind and stall sounds (from the public domain) that I'll include with the ver. 8.9 update - they are an improvement from the default wind/stall sounds. Also more tweaks of realistic cloud heights and sun size in the environsys ini file have improved things I think (for low-end cards). And yes, that's the late model (rare) D.Va in the bottom two pics that I've decided to include, powered by the Mercedes 200hp (auv) engine (not the 180hp au that was typical by the summer of '18). With a top speed close to 200 kph - it's an entertaining addition for the Western theater from about Sept. of '18.

Happy flying,

Von S

post-86760-0-43910900-1493359066_thumb.jpg

post-86760-0-63051800-1493359080_thumb.jpg

post-86760-0-38007200-1493359092_thumb.jpg

post-86760-0-91083700-1493359102_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

A nice scrap. Love the ability to create mixed flights for the Germans.

img00001.JPG

img00002.JPG

img00003.JPG

img00004.JPG

• Like 6

When the Caudron R.11 is nearly finished, can I pick your brain about mixed formations?  I did not someone had figured it out.

3 hours ago, Geezer said:

When the Caudron R.11 is nearly finished, can I pick your brain about mixed formations?  I did not someone had figured it out.

Answered your message just know, Geezer.

Tweaking of horizon cloud fog to "false" in the environsys file, combined with the clouds from the Stary effects pack v. 1.3 - has given me interesting results recently, with a nice combination of WOFF-style clouds in the foreground, and background clouds more visible than the high cirrus ones that emerge if horizon cloud fog is set to true. Also enjoying that the Gotha G.III in this case, after its high-compression FM tweaks, has rolled onto its back after its engine fire - always new surprises in FE2. The Nieuport 23bis makes for a wonderful interceptor by the way.

Happy flying,

Von S :smile:

img00001.JPG

img00002.JPG

img00003.JPG

• Like 5

Been tweaking the environsys file a bit more today as a short break from the FMs, particularly the section called [HighAlt] - and I'm now seeing results that I've never seen before in FE2, in terms of mixture of clouds, breaks in the weather, lovely plays of color and shadow, also in terms of depth of the sky (will roll this into a ver. 9.1 update of the FM pack eventually).

Managed to almost get rid of the very thin band of darker blue (present in the pics above in my previous post) that separate the high altitude sky from mid-altitude and from the horizon, by putting in the same color values for the high alt sky, high alt horizon color, and high alt fog color that are used for the [Day1] entry that is for afternoon/late afternoon sky settings anyway. A slightly crisper blue emerges this way for the high altitude sky, and further reduces evidence of that thin darker blue belt that seems to sit at around 40,000 to 50,000 feet.

Also interesting is that an increase in the values for the HighAltColorStart and ColorEnd entries seems further to help with this, but also seems to "position" distant clouds in a more realistic way in relation to clouds in the foreground - will test this further but these obscure entries are already producing new results on my rig. I'm now getting an obvious "sfumato" effect (fine shading and haze pioneered by Da Vinci) with cloud contrasts and breaks in the weather - particularly evident in the pics where I'm flying around the Suez canal in my trusty Alb. D.3.

Happy flying,

Von S

img00001.JPG

img00002.JPG

img00003.JPG

img00004.JPG

img00005.JPG

img00006.JPG

img00007.JPG

• Like 4

It's a great sim - the dogfight action is really seat-of-the-pants stuff, especially with all the mods installed.

Von S :pilotfly:

img00001.JPG

img00002.JPG

img00003.JPG

• Like 4

Guys, the screenshots & graphics are fantastic!

Edited by JacksonM
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2017 at 1:07 AM, VonS said:

I'm now getting an obvious "sfumato" effect (fine shading and haze pioneered by Da Vinci) with cloud contrasts and breaks in the weather - particularly evident in the pics where I'm flying around the Suez canal in my trusty Alb. D.3.

Looks really tasty so I hope you keep experimenting.

One thing - I've noticed that lighting conditions vary from map to map.  Might I suggest you experiment with several different maps?

Also, kudos for classic art history reference!  Next, we'll have to experiment with chiaroscuro. :biggrin:

test-2a.jpg

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 1

Geezer you are always full of surprises! :biggrin: Not only do I see chiaroscuro in that black and white image, but a Vickers installed on the Bullet - maybe a Morane Type I (or V) is in the bag for the distant or not so distant future.... :smile:

I will load up some other theaters like the Eastern front and Italy, and see if I can reduplicate some of these new cloud effects.

Happy flying,

Von S

Edited by VonS
Added some info.

47 minutes ago, VonS said:

- maybe a Morane Type I (or V) is in the bag for the distant or not so distant future.... :smile:

Yep, its in-work but the 3D model is only 25% of the effort required to release an aircraft.  Unless more guys like you step forward and volunteer to make files, etc it will be a loooong time before its done.

test-1.jpg

test-3.jpg

• Like 4

Wish I had the knowledge, Geezer.

Obligatory screenies:

img00016.JPG

img00017.JPG

img00018.JPG

img00019.JPG

img00020.JPG

• Like 4

Just received in the mail an excellent reference for one of my favs - the Nieuport 28.  So...I will add it to the Aviation Militaire collection.

French Composite-1.jpg

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

First picture: Current WW1 Italy terrain

Second/Third picture: New WW1 Italy terrain with satellite imagery..more to follow (current only testing)

large.img00002.jpg.1451b3f7ab5519209967494dcbd92f85.jpglarge.img00003.jpg.669eaa07848eff1b185f539979a1e034.jpglarge.img00004.jpg.0247a0f29b5b190e21d1bd93bc5d2c60.jpg

Edited by gterl
  • Like 7