Sign in to follow this  
Creaghorn

Phase 4

since there is lately not too much activity in the forum i would like to start a thread about what would you like to see in phase 4. of course what realistically might be doable. maybe there are some points nobody has noticed before or good tipps or something.

personally i love the game as it is. but couple things i would like to be improved to get it as realistic as possible:

- smarter AI of knowing when to break off when in disadvantage.

for own and for enemies. mostly dogfights last till one side is wiped out. that's not realistic. everybody wants to have a kill, but also everybody wants even more to survive. there is a point when one or both sides have enough and break off to fight another day. although not having a clou how it might be done, it would add a lot of realism. maybe to set parameters if over enemy territory, the fighting spirit vanishes after some time. or when beeing outnumbered, or when receiving some percentage of damage, or simply after ten minutes.

- shorter eyesight of AI

of course AI sight for both sides is too good. should be reduced to about 2nm. maybe variing between aces and normal pilots to max 3nm for aces and 1nm for rookies. that would also help to get more doghfights without one side beeing completely killed. it's not the speck wich is relevant for an attack, it's the recognizing of the formation beeing enemies, and that's when one can clearly see the maltese cross or the cocard or the shape of the aircraft. right now you will be attacked althoug not even beeing visible as a speck. it should be no attack even when seeing specks. only when getting close enough to a certain distance when you can identify the formation beeing enemies. the same for AI of course. right now you have almost on every sortie dogfights to death. in real they didn't have fights on every mission, even when seeing enemies. and if there was a fight, then more often indecisive than with kills. even when fighting one got out by far more often emtyhanded than with a kill.

- number of claims should reflect the number i really claim, not the system.

when after a fight i clearly shoot one down, and i see him crash, then i'll claim him. if during the dogfight i pepper three other enemies with bullets, which might happen in a furball, but don't shoot them down, and they die somehow couple minutes later because flying too low or something, i don't claim them because i didn't see them crash and often even don't notice they have fallen because my last bullet had touched them 10 minutes ago. i would like to see if i claim one, then there should be one claim, not three.

- lot more two seater activity and lot more different aircraft. (i think that's the main thing the devs are working on)

- individual painted aircraft

my points wich IMHO would make a 90% perfect game 99% perfect :rolleyes:

Id also like to see the wind affect the AI as well. Itd make for much better and realistic formation flying.

Forum inactive!?! You kidding??? :huh:

1) When making a claim the number of aircraft you've shot down is requested as part of the claim of course. Many times (because of the furball intensity) I'm not sure if the AI I nailed ended up crashing or just splitarsed out of the fight as they often do on you (I tend to not follow them down to maintain altitude/energy). However, after filling the claim form the game basically tells you if your claim is incorrect based on the number claimed! I think it would be more realistic if we filled out claims WITHOUT the game telling us it was incorrect and then the game can quietly reject them on that basis (thus it is your fault, but based on the confusion of the fight!). Your claims that DO match the true number you shot down can have a better %chance to be accepted to balance it out.

2) I REALLY hope the ambience can be returned for the AA artillery/archie/ack-ack. While it certainly was too accurate before, resulting in poor game balance, it is basically emasculated now to the point where the bursts are going off literally miles away from their target.

3) I doubt it'll happen based on limits of TIR4 support in CFS3, but when leaning into the screen only the cockpit zooms in, distant objects (such as aircraft or terrain) do not get bigger. This would have a profound effect on the ability to see objects at realistic distances. Currently the distance to see aircraft on screen is too short. However, this could be offset by having active archie puffs around distant aircraft showing us aircraft otherwise too small to see --white puffs allied, black puffs German, which is historically accurate IYDK.

4) Can the in-game map "pop-up window" at least resemble the terrain a bit more so we can navigate by some terrain features, such as rivers, cities, roads, etc.? Currently the popup map is kinda abstract, except for providing the basic orientation and location.

Otherwise loving the game ferociously!!!

Edited by B Bandy RFC

1) When making a claim the number of aircraft you've shot down is requested as part of the claim of course. Many times (because of the furball intensity) I'm not sure if the AI I nailed ended up crashing or just splitarsed out of the fight as they often do on you (I tend to not follow them down to maintain altitude/energy). However, after filling the claim form the game basically tells you if your claim is incorrect based on the number claimed! I think it would be more realistic if we filled out claims WITHOUT the game telling us it was incorrect and then the game can reject them on that basis. Your claims that DO match the true number you shot down can have a better chance to be accepted to balance it out.

2) I REALLY hope the ambience can be returned for the AA artillery/archie/ack-ack. While it certainly was too accurate before, resulting in poor game balance, it is basically emasculated now to the point where the bursts are going off literally miles away from their target.

3) I doubt it'll happen based on limits of TIR4 support in CFS3, but when leaning into the screen only the cockpit zooms in, distant objects (such as aircraft or terrain) do not get bigger. This would have a profound effect on the ability to see objects at realistic distances. Currently the distance to see aircraft on screen is too short (this could be offset by having active archie showing puffs though)

4) Can the in-game map "pop-up window" at least resemble the terrain a bit more so we can navigate by some terrain features, such as rivers, cities, roads, etc.? Currently the popup map is kinda abstract, except for providing the basic orientation and location.

Great thread guys and yes P4 is on the go at the moment.

But 2) concerns me a bit - should not be that way - can we get some consensus on this?

Ta

WM

If possible..I would like a few more effects added?

I would like some audible wind effects, the sort of whistling through the wires kinda stuff...cos I really enjoy the sounds at the 'Drome....and some good flak burst noises would be cool!

Dunno if this is possible too...but could flights start parked up by the hangers?...So you have to taxi out to the strip to take off?

The usual stuff.... More two seaters... And probably not possible..but moving hammers on the guns?

Have to agree on the Flak!...I would have those gunners transfered to the Women's Balloon Corps if it was me!

Just my Orgasm list!! :smile:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

forgot to mention, a lot more unreliable guns, both for ai and for player. and a lot more unreliable engines.

Oh...and for goodness sake... DONT remove the CFSQC in Workshop!..Please??

Dunno if this is possible too...but could flights start parked up by the hangers?...So you have to taxi out to the strip to take off?

i am not sure, but i think the pilots didn't taxi the aircraft out but the ground personell pulled and pushed it out to the takeoff spot side by side and let the engines warm up, while the pilots made breakfast or got dressed. but i might be wrong.

i am not sure, but i think the pilots didn't taxi the aircraft out but the ground personell pulled and pushed it out to the takeoff spot side by side and let the engines warm up, while the pilots made breakfast or got dressed. but i might be wrong.

Actually..yes..that makes sense!...With just a Rudder..they were pretty unmaneauverable on the ground... hmm..yes, very good point!! :good:

Wind effect for AI definately.

Personal markings without the rest of the squad having them.......pleeeeease.

I would just like more planes to complete BH&H Phase-3 before going on to Phase-4. Planes from the early start of the war to the end. Then Phase-4 would just be a tweak of BH&H Phase-3.

JMHO,

WF2

I would just like more planes to complete BH&H Phase-3 before going on to Phase-4. Planes from the early start of the war to the end. Then Phase-4 would just be a tweak of BH&H Phase-3.

JMHO,

WF2

We are working on two aspects:

1) Plane packs for P3 - these will include associated squads, aces and skins to add the craft into OFF for QC, Missions and Campaign in one easy install.

2) P4

WM

Great thread guys and yes P4 is on the go at the moment.

But 2) concerns me a bit - should not be that way - can we get some consensus on this?

Ta

WM

i can confirm it. the chance of beeing hit by flak is greatly reduced, which is very good. but they are spread around wide more so one can see flakbursts, but can not take it as an indicator where enemies are because the bursts are everywhere, and i think that's what Bandy means. it should be more concentrated on the enemy aircraft and more tight, but still very rarely hitting them. probably impossible to combine it. beeing very close on target but still 99% missing.

Winder,

My reasoned response to your last post:

1) Bloody marvellous

2) Can't wait!

I'd certainly like to see a better in flight map, and the post flight debrief showing pilot/squadron names, if poss. Still, I think that it's rounding out the aircraft variety that'll do the most to enhance OFF, so I'll be happy with that. Will the plane/mission pack cost anything, or will it be free (he hinted not-very-subtlely)?

Cheers,

Si

I'd be more than willing to pay for upgrades/plane packs. Considering the amount of content in the initial release, there shouldn't be a whole lot of stuff left to purchase, and no internet connection required!

CJ

Winder,

My reasoned response to your last post:

1) Bloody marvellous

2) Can't wait!

I'd certainly like to see a better in flight map, and the post flight debrief showing pilot/squadron names, if poss. Still, I think that it's rounding out the aircraft variety that'll do the most to enhance OFF, so I'll be happy with that. Will the plane/mission pack cost anything, or will it be free (he hinted not-very-subtlely)?

Cheers,

Si

Both will be payware - in terms of 1) we are not sure exactly what form the packs will take nor the cost but yes payware.

HTH

WM

If possible..I would like a few more effects added?

I would like some audible wind effects, the sort of whistling through the wires kinda stuff...cos I really enjoy the sounds at the 'Drome....and some good flak burst noises would be cool!

:smile:

ukw,

not sure if its the same on my system as yours, but there are some really nice wind effect sounds,,,you just cant hear them over your engine..

ut oh,,,,,,,,damn,,,went to open off manger to look thru the sound settings and off is infected,,,,,and my av found the same trojan in my fraps.exe...so guess this thing is on the move...

anyways,,,i think if you move your effects sound slider way up,,,and then turn your engine off in flight,,you will hear the wind sounds i hear..they are actully pretty cool..

... I would like some audible wind effects, the sort of whistling through the wires kinda stuff...cos I really enjoy the sounds at the 'Drome....and some good flak burst noises would be cool!

Actually, there are at least two VERY good windloop sounds in game, but the engine loop volume just needs to be balanced with it. They are so good I tried to import these windloops in my other WWI sims, but then they drown out the engine loop :dntknw: I'm not much of an audio guy...

Have to agree on the Flak!...I would have those gunners transfered to the Women's Balloon Corps if it was me! Just my Orgasm list!! :smile:

Having the AAA gunners transferred to "service" the Women's Balloon Corp is on yer "Orgasm list"???

Kinky :ok:

I'd have said complete the aircraft list first so the plane packs news is AWESOME!

UK Home Defence would be a great major addition as far as I'm concerned but otherwise as others have said, an increase in the whole two-seater scenario and individual skins would be top of the list.

A related minor one and hopefully not too difficult to implement, could there be a filter of some kind for the QC skin selection drop-down, say a radio button to opt for either ace or squadron skins? I know scrolling is not exactly a laborious activity but there are just SO MANY skins :good: I'd like to filter the list.

[EDIT] But whatever you guys do, it's bound to be good... we've the incontrovertible evidence of P1, P2 and P3 by which to be assured of that.[/EDIT]

Edited by Dej

Both will be payware - in terms of 1) we are not sure exactly what form the packs will take nor the cost but yes payware.

HTH

WM

I certainly understand why P4 would be payware, but the idea of paying the same price for P4 as I did for P3 would probably keep me away.... Seems more like a Service Pack / update, albeit a substantial one. But that's also why we'd be paying for it. Just not 49, or even 39 please? :) In fact, a digital download of P4 which installs over P3 would work well for me. It'd just install and overwrite what it needs to out of the P3 directory.

1)

3) I doubt it'll happen based on limits of TIR4 support in CFS3, but when leaning into the screen only the cockpit zooms in, distant objects (such as aircraft or terrain) do not get bigger. This would have a profound effect on the ability to see objects at realistic distances. Currently the distance to see aircraft on screen is too short.

Can't agree on this. Surely, ( you don't mind me calling you shirley, do you ? ) leaning forward in the cockpit in RL only gives you two or so feet nearer to what you are looking at?

It can't ,in RL , give you more!!

So, in the sim, what you are asking for has got to be unrealistic.!

Not much to add to what has been already posted here, all of these suggestions are good. Making the AI pilots have less bionic eyes and telepathic abilities in the chaos of air combat would be a really nice improvement.

Also, it would be great if the Italian front were added to the game at some point. I'd love to fly as the Italians and the Austrians - that would be something that's never been seen in any WW1 sim! But maybe this is just a crazy dream of mine...

Speaking of AA, the machine guns can be dangerous when flying low, but I haven't noticed the heavier guns shooting any of my pilots down since the last patch. But I've considered this as much more realistic behaviour than the previous deadly AA; you had to be really unlucky if an AA shell brought you down when flying at high altitude in WW1. Or that's how I've understood things were back then, according to history books.

Edit: Forgot to mention that a digital distribution system would be nice to have so that you wouldn't have to wait for the snail mail to deliver the expansions and P4. Or better yet, have the option to buy a boxed disc and also download the files, just like Matrix Games sells their products.

Edited by Hasse Wind

Would there be a way to get a personal aircraft to carry through the war with you, like in old Red Baron? In the French squads, they eventually swap over to the Spad VII, but in many instances I'd like to keep the N.17 as my own plane.

3) I doubt it'll happen based on limits of TIR4 support in CFS3, but when leaning into the screen only the cockpit zooms in, distant objects (such as aircraft or terrain) do not get bigger. This would have a profound effect on the ability to see objects at realistic distances. Currently the distance to see aircraft on screen is too short. However, this could be offset by having active archie puffs around distant aircraft showing us aircraft otherwise too small to see --white puffs allied, black puffs German, which is historically accurate IYDK.

If you want to zoom in on a target, while in the VC just hit [ or ] to zoom in and out. Works just like binoculars.

CJ

The pop-up map could really use some attention. There are other aspects of the sim that could be buffed a little of course; always will be; but IMO the map is the only area of the game that is sub-standard compared to the rest of the package which is otherwise uniformly superb.

CW