Sign in to follow this  
shredward

Anyone got a large field that could be put to good use?

I've got a couple of large fields, but I can't remember where I put my crane!

I've got the perfect field next to my house. Landed my Taylorcraft there one time. What I'd like to really find is the German canvas tent hangars or a pattern to have one or two made.

"Bessonneau timber hangar These were used to house Sopwith Camels through WW2"

Or was it Spitfires in WW1? :biggrin:

Crossbones

Edited by Crossbones

"Bessonneau timber hangar These were used to house Sopwith Camels through WW2"

Or was it Spitfires in WW1? :biggrin:

Crossbones

I agree... those are definately not from WWI. But either way, the task unfortunately would be monumental. It does not come with the canvas, or the rigging, and as the seller states, much of the wood trusses would need to have the lower member replaced from rot.

Maybe there is light, and someone with a real need/taste for nostalgia at a musem will pick it up.

Sad to see stuff like this slip away.

OvS

I agree... those are definately not from WWI. But either way, the task unfortunately would be monumental. It does not come with the canvas, or the rigging, and as the seller states, much of the wood trusses would need to have the lower member replaced from rot.

Maybe there is light, and someone with a real need/taste for nostalgia at a musem will pick it up.

Sad to see stuff like this slip away.

OvS

What about the photo with the Camel.. the tent looks identical to the last shot taken of it?

These hangars were used extensively during the First World War, including on the Western Front. Parts were mixed and matched by the RAF. We have found dates ranging from 1940 on the timbers.

I meant this particular unit. If it were that old, the canvas would likely not have made it into the 80's guessing at the looks of the photos, that's when it was last standing? But yes, the design looks to be the same as in the photo. It's a real nice looking setup though. Man, if I had a field, wouldn't it be great! Looking at the color shot of the inside, I can almost smell that canvas, and hear the wind rush through the top. :rolleyes:

OvS

I meant this particular unit. If it were that old, the canvas would likely not have made it into the 80's guessing at the looks of the photos, that's when it was last standing? But yes, the design looks to be the same as in the photo. It's a real nice looking setup though. Man, if I had a field, wouldn't it be great! Looking at the color shot of the inside, I can almost smell that canvas, and hear the wind rush through the top. :rolleyes:

OvS

One scene I really liked was in Flyboys where they were all assembled in the tent.. wonderful ambiance!