Sign in to follow this  
MaverickMike

Anybody seen....

Showdown:Air combat

A new series has started over here in the UK on discovery channel that I have found really interesting. Its called Showdown:Air Combat (Fridays 10:00pm GMT). The program recreates some of the most compelling aircraft dogfights in history by re-enacting them. Its hosted by Major Paul "Max" Moga who himself is a pilot flying the f-22 raptor. He follows the two dogfighting aircraft in a chase plane and describes the action step by step.

So far two episodes have been on. Mig-15 Vs f86 sabre during the Korean war and yesterdays episode featured the zero against the f-4f wildcat during the guadalcanal campaign. Both have been really good and informative to watch, full of facts about each aircraft. one that stands out from last nite is that a 'clean' zero weighs roughly the same as an external fuel tank for the f-22 :blink:

Next weeks episode features the p-51 vs the me-109 which should be good.

Just thought id share this cool program

Mike

Edited by mikepie11986

Showdown:Air combat

A new series has started over here in the UK on discovery channel that I have found really interesting. Its called Showdown:Air Combat (Fridays 10:00pm GMT). The program recreates some of the most compelling aircraft dogfights in history by re-enacting them. Its hosted by Major Paul "Max" Moga who himself is a pilot flying the f-22 raptor. He follows the two dogfighting aircraft in a chase plane and describes the action step by step.

So far two episodes have been on. Mig-15 Vs f86 sabre during the Korean war and yesterdays episode featured the zero against the f-4f wildcat during the guadalcanal campaign. Both have been really good and informative to watch, full of facts about each aircraft. one that stands out from last nite is that a 'clean' zero weighs roughly the same as an external fuel tank for the f-22 :blink:

Next weeks episode features the p-51 vs the me-109 which should be good.

Just thought id share this cool program

Mike

Theres something like that already called dogfights or something like that, where they get computer simulations to re-enact the dogfights of the past and talk about the aircraft and maneuvers that where involved in the fight.

These are two different programs. Showdown:Air Combat has been on in the States for about a year. Personally I don't find it very interesting. And I'm an airplane enthusiest! They use live aircraft combine with canned footage to describe the stories. Plus, listening to "Max" Moga doesn't do much for me. I actually find it interesting that he's able to do the show while on active duty. There are rules that do not allow the use of one's position for personal gain. Maybe he's not getting paid?

Dogfights on the other hand was, IMO, a better show. Yes, it was all CGI, but it was pretty well done and gave the viewer an excellent recreation of a huge air battle. Something that cannot be done with live aircraft. As the show went on toward the final episodes, you could see that the research wasn't what is was in the beginning.

Actually i quite agree with you on comparison. Dogfights is better. The thing that stands out for me though with showdown is that you can watch the birds in flight. The zero I mentioned earlier was the last flying zero on the planet so in this respect i think its quite good. Didnt really think about 'moga' being on active duty while filming it :blink: . Guess thats got alot to say about the air force.

Mike

I've been watching Showdown too, it's not bad. I prefer dogfights for the in your face way it's presented, but Showdown is nice just to see the immaculately preserved warbirds. Nice to have that cockpit comparison thing that Moga does too.

As a presenter though, he ought to stick to his day job...I notice he's cropped up in a couple of other aircraft related shows on Discovery\History Channel too.

As a presenter though, he ought to stick to his day job...I notice he's cropped up in a couple of other aircraft related shows on Discovery\History Channel too.

Agreed. Im sure they could have found someone a bit better to present the show. :biggrin:

Mike