Sign in to follow this  
pcpilot

A Japanese Surrenders

This is an excerpt from the book, "Guadalcanal" by Irving Werstien. I just finished reading it. It finished with these lines...

"On Oct. 27th, 1947, a Japanese soldier dressed in a ragged uniform, his hair grown to his waist, emerged from a Guadalcanal cave. This strange creature entered a Solomon Island constabulary post and surrendered. He enquired about the war, for he did not know it was over. Then, in a voice cracked from disuse, he asked, "Where are the American Marines?"

When told they had departed five years before, he sighed and said, "It was no disgrace to be beaten by such men."

Semper Fidelis...

Nice story. But did you know that it was (I believe) 1977 that a Japanese soldier surrender? It was really the last men on earth that was thinking he was still in war, but saw never action anymore. He was married in a little village far away from everybody and every country. Living on a island.

And yes, this is a treu story.

Salute

Dutchy

Ya that guy in the Phillipenes,how he hasn't been extradited from Japan to face murder charges in beyond me.