Well, since I was on a roll with getting all the lights dialed in, I thought I'd take a little stab a re-decaling this bird. A partial-reskin, as I had to redraw some panel lines (my partial templates will be included with the upload when finished). Might look good in natural metal, too...cause I ain't quite good enough for the camo patterns!!!

So, here's a couple of shots. The MAC stripe/Flag are new decals, as are the serial numbers, and the nose serial tag.

Anyone care to venture a guess at the Historical Significance ™ of this serial number/aircraft????

BTW, Dave, you're disqualified -- you've seen the real one.

Unfortunatley, there's a small, but quite noticable decal bleed at the edge of the fuesalage/right cargo bay door, and I'm going crosseyed trying to keep those big wing-walk-looking lines from bluring/jaggedizing...annoys me!

I gave it a different cockpit, albeit yet another 'not even close, but it's for jets' pit -from the Vark. Remember, the game itself is/was never designed for bomber/transport flying, so we make do with what we have.

oh, the person that guesses correctly, gets a personalized aircraft next time I do up names!

wrench

kevin stein

Yes the Hanoi Taxi which used to belong to my unit, 445th AW, 89th AS. Right now it is sitting outside the USAF Museum. The inside is a museum in itself. In the building next to my command post, we have a lot things taken from that aircraft and on display. It is some good stuff, from original news paper articles, to pictures of the events when it was used to bring our boys home, to some hand written notes to the wing when it was retired a few years ago. Good on you for doing that Kevin.

Hanoi Taxi....

It was famous for flying the released US POW from Vietnam back to the States, isn't it???

Yup, the Hanoi Taxi "First C-141 Into Hanoi" (unfortunately, I can't get that decal over the front crew door)

It's the first Number in the list.

Damn, Thunderchief, that was a fast reply! And you're our winner!!

Still got a couple dozen more number to do, and stuff; expect the update/skin/decals this week sometime

wrench

kevin stein

Skinning the crates?? :rofl:

wrench

kevin stein

have a B waiting to be mapped and skinned :wink:

Skinning the crates?? :rofl:

Hey why not? :haha:

Speaking seriously for a minute I just realized that what we got is the old-school starlifter without the air-refuel-hump-thingy on top.

EDIT: Took to long and missed veltros post. Thats sounds awsome!

Edited by thundercheif

Swweet!!

Btw, some of the serial I'm using actally ARE for Bs....my goof!! Well, look at it this way....one less set of decals to make, and who but a Rivet Counter of Nth degree would really notice, without me saying so!!

Aren't B just A's with the extension plugs???

Ed, is there any way I can talk you into looking at the LOD to find the open meshes near the right side fuselage, at the edge where the cargo door meets (upper, front corner)??? I can supply some close up shots of the region, if it'll help!

(glad your arm's better!!! broken bones suck!!!)

Let me see what my Project Schedule looks like --I haven't touched the Indo-Pak terrain for like 4 weeks!!!!-- maybe I can help out with the skinning!

wrench

kevin stein

This reminds me about that MIG-31 skin i was gonna make for you Veltro... Well it´s 99% done but im just been too lazy to wrap it up completely :blush: . Right now 2 weeks might actually be a realistic estimate of when it might be done :grin:

Swweet!!

Btw, some of the serial I'm using actally ARE for Bs....my goof!! Well, look at it this way....one less set of decals to make, and who but a Rivet Counter of Nth degree would really notice, without me saying so!!

Aren't B just A's with the extension plugs???

Ed, is there any way I can talk you into looking at the LOD to find the open meshes near the right side fuselage, at the edge where the cargo door meets (upper, front corner)??? I can supply some close up shots of the region, if it'll help!

(glad your arm's better!!! broken bones suck!!!)

Let me see what my Project Schedule looks like --I haven't touched the Indo-Pak terrain for like 4 weeks!!!!-- maybe I can help out with the skinning!

wrench

kevin stein

Kev if you want i can send the MAX

This reminds me about that MIG-31 skin i was gonna make for you Veltro... Well it´s 99% done but im just been too lazy to wrap it up completely :blush: . Right now 2 weeks might actually be a realistic estimate of when it might be done :grin:

no prob chief...not in a rush

Ed, I wouldn't know what to DO with the Max file!!! :sorry: Since I don't know diddly about building, I just know what the result is!

I have GMax, but really don't know how to use it, but DO know it probably wouldn't help much!

wrench

kevin stein

Ed, I wouldn't know what to DO with the Max file!!! :sorry: Since I don't know diddly about building, I just know what the result is!

I have GMax, but really don't know how to use it, but DO know it probably wouldn't help much!

wrench

kevin stein

ok then, send me a screenshot of the problem then

Ed

I'll get some close up to you as soon as I can!

and many thanks Ed!! :good:

wrench

kevin stein

Well, after downloading the Warbird Tech for the C-141 (all 335 megs of jpgs, reinverting 50% of them as they were scanned upsidedown but nicely done in 300dpi) and assemling it into a pdf....which weighs in at a hefty 331mgs!!!!....

Most A were converted to B, which a goodly number were converted to C with the all-glass pit (Hanoi Taxi among them)

Skinning the B shoudn't be too hard .... mind you, I don't think I can do the Euro Lizard, but the AMC Proud Gray shouldn't be too hard. I shold have lo-viz markings I can make decals from around here somewheres...

If you like Ed, I'll give it a try! Also lets me re-dial in the lights for the extended fues.

wrench

kevin stein

I'll get some close up to you as soon as I can!

and many thanks Ed!! :good:

wrench

kevin stein

check mail