Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT Free full games

Hey Hasse Wind..what's the latest version of Dosbox?...The one game I would LOVE tp play is Strike Commander! (if it's available anywhere?)

The latest is 0.73, released a few weeks ago. It has several stability and compatibility fixes and should also work better on Vista (but I wouldn't know, as I won't let that piece of sh... software anywhere near my computer!).

Strike Commander works beautifully on Dosbox. I have the original on cd, so haven't had a need to search it from the net. It is possible it has been released as freeware though. Some people have joystick problems on Dosbox, but I've only had to tweak my Sidewinder's settings for a couple of games. I think they've improved joystick emulation code in Dosbox quite a lot in the couple of latest versions.

Edit: Damn to hard to spell 'compatibility' correctly.

Edited by Hasse Wind

The latest is 0.73, released a few weeks ago. It has several stability and compatibility fixes and should also work better on Vista (but I wouldn't know, as I won't let that piece of sh... software anywhere near my computer!).

Strike Commander works beautifully on Dosbox. I have the original on cd, so haven't had a need to search it from the net. It is possible it has been released as

You lucky so and so!!! :yes:

I am sure I found it on Mame or something, but I couldn't get it to work.

I think I will try again, and locate it!..it was fabulous!

(agree 100% re:- Vista m8!)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

This is a bit 'Off Topic' for an 'Off Topic' thread, but, a day or so ago, while poking around on amazon.com [in the Video Games sec.] I discovered a 'Flyboys Squadron' game. Never heard of it. Even in these pages. I wondered if it was every bit as good as the movie, and passed on it. Has anyone ever essayed this game? Talked to someone who...?

This is a bit 'Off Topic' for an 'Off Topic' thread, but, a day or so ago, while poking around on amazon.com [in the Video Games sec.] I discovered a 'Flyboys Squadron' game. Never heard of it. Even in these pages. I wondered if it was every bit as good as the movie, and passed on it. Has anyone ever essayed this game? Talked to someone who...?

Oh yes, that was a real work of art. A great example of thoughtful and intelligent filmmaking. :rofl:

Oh yes, that was a real work of art. A great example of thoughtful and intelligent filmmaking. :rofl:

...and what game could match it?

Has anyone found the original version of "break out" with out all the dressed up additions, etc., and one that will play on XP? That's the arcade game with the balls bouncing around and you try to build walls to contain them.

Rabu,

im certain i have the original breakout,,,(that was atari,,,right???) and whatever emulator u need...Will be sure to find it on my computer at home..

my favorite (other than zelda of course) was tetris....

personal highs where....19-3......and somewhere around 12-6

Well, I hope this 'OT' thread has been useful to you?

I hope you don't feel as a certain other forum member does about my postings? (and I quote)

"Widowmaker constantly puts up OT threads that have nothing to do with anything except he feels a need to be noticed. Must be very lonely. Kinda sad"

One day - 360 views/31 responses and counting. 'Nuff said. :good:

One day - 360 views/31 responses and counting. 'Nuff said. :good:

As much as this is a WWI sim forum, I don't see a reason not to step out of our flying suits now and then and re-charge the batteries.

Good for the soul!

:biggrin:

As much as this is a WWI sim forum, I don't see a reason not to step out of our flying suits now and then and re-charge the batteries.

Good for the soul!

:biggrin:

Since apparently this has become a thread on Widowmaker's OT threads and my response, let me point out this:

My objection was Widowmaker starting an OT thread to sharply criticize the British PM and OVS chiming in to sharply criticize President Obama.

Most game/sim forums strictly prohibit discussing politics because it can get real nasty real fast.

My second objection, now raised twice, is OVS, as a moderator, jumping into controversial topics with very heated opinions.

Sorry, but that is not (IMO) appropriate or professional behavior for a moderator.

A moderator simply shouldn't allow himself to join into debates, especially heated ones.

And Rabu as another developer really shouldn't be standing on the sidelines cheering him on.

But, hey, if you guys want to "recharge the batteries" and think that's "Good for the Soul" as OVS says, let's just start flaming and let it get totally nasty.

Do you really want my opinions on Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld and how they have destroyed civil rights in this country? How they have trashed the US Constitution (and the US economy)?

Nah! I don't think so....And I don't think this is the place for that type of discussion.

As you guys keep saying, this was a sim built by amateurs.

And here's where it shows.

ttt

Edited by tttiger

Since apparently this has become a thread on Widowmaker's OT threads and my response, let me point out this:

My objection was Widowmaker starting an OT thread to sharply criticize the British PM and OVS chiming in to sharply criticize President Obama.

Most game/sim forums strictly prohibit discussing politics because it can get real nasty real fast.

My second objection, now raised twice, is OVS, as a moderator, jumping into controversial topics with very heated opinions.

Sorry, but that is not (IMO) appropriate or professional behavior for a moderator.

A moderator simply shouldn't allow himself to join into debates, especially heated ones.

And Rabu as another developer really shouldn't be standing on the sidelines cheering him on.

But, hey, if you guys want to "recharge the batteries" and think that's "Good for the Soul" as OVS says, let's just start flaming and let it get totally nasty.

Do you really want my opinions on Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld and how they have destroyed civil rights in this country? How they have trashed the US Constitution (and the US economy)?

Nah! I don't think so....And I don't think this is the place for that type of discussion.

As you guys keep saying, this was a sim built by amateurs.

And here's where it shows.

ttt

You really need to stretch your legs and go for a walk mate.

PS... I've known Rabu for over 10 years now... if you don't like it here, you can leave. No one has chained you to anything, or made you feel as if you need to stick around. You are free to come and go as you please.

Moderator or not... I'm not going anywhere... but making personal references to me and my career against something like an air disaster where over 200+ innocent lives were lost far outweighs ANYTHING I have said or could say about Obama. You seemed to have skipped over that part.

Also.. I have yet to make any personal attacks on you... but yet, you keep trawling for me... pointing me out... making reference to me... as if envious or something, borderling stalking. I don't know, I've never had anyone do that to me on a forum. I'm kinda flattered.

So I don't really know where you are going with this. Like I said.. a walk might do you some good. Then come back, and rethink things a little.

One more point... you didn't seem to have any issues with the Forum Administrator having a debate with me about Frank Luke. That seemed to be OK in your book. So what makes this any different. That was WAYYYY more heated than anything in Widow's thread. And it was great! I learned a lot and have read even more about Luke. So, like I said... where are we going with this... you can drive.

Rabu,

im certain i have the original breakout,,,(that was atari,,,right???) and whatever emulator u need...Will be sure to find it on my computer at home..

my favorite (other than zelda of course) was tetris....

personal highs where....19-3......and somewhere around 12-6

I have no idea if it was Atari.. I remember playing it on my PC many years ago.. may have even been an IBM XT PC.. can't remember. I just know that each time I've tried to find it I find "updated" versions that actually, for me, aren't as much fun as the original version which was very simple, but very challanging. Would love to see what you have though and would probably need some instructions on how to get it running on XP!

All the best, and thanks!

I have no idea if it was Atari.. I remember playing it on my PC many years ago.. may have even been an IBM XT PC.. can't remember. I just know that each time I've tried to find it I find "updated" versions that actually, for me, aren't as much fun as the original version which was very simple, but very challanging. Would love to see what you have though and would probably need some instructions on how to get it running on XP!

All the best, and thanks!

Yes, that was Atari. you can get it running with MESS, and the correct game ROM. MESS is a Multiple Emulator Super System. It's a little tricky at first but works really well. Also.. there is an Emulator called Stella for the A2600.

Give it whirl, it's fun once you get it going.

OvS

While you need to buy an underlying Valve Source SDK 2007-based game of some kind, The Battlegrounds Mod for the engine is free. The betas are open source too, so it's free to test the coming version too.

http://www.bgmod.com/

I almost have a game museum here including my Amiga 500 programming manuals and that portable Commodore 64 computer. All my old Atari, Colecovision ..... my how things have changed. I actually have Wings for the Nintendo Advance.

R-R-Remember how it went over at SOH..........?

A..A...A...Cam down, cam down.... aright our kid

post-22245-1245229444_thumb.jpg

I almost have a game museum here including my Amiga 500 programming manuals and that portable Commodore 64 computer. All my old Atari, Colecovision ..... my how things have changed. I actually have Wings for the Nintendo Advance.

I have a working Intellivision, Colecovision, and an A2600. The rest are all via emulation now. I had a C64, but it suffered a chip failure, the characters were all different colors, but it was in near mint condition. It was funny to press the keyboard and have it feel like a typewriter. I sold it on eBay alone with the 1504 monitor and Disk Drive. It was a nice unit, sorry to see it go.

Those were the days back then... 8bit.. 16bit. LOL!

OvS

I have a working Intellivision...

OvS

Me too, still. Gawd, I remember when that was the Mutt's Cajones.

Sorry 'bout that but it was inevitable that this thread would turn a bit nostalgic... so many 'free' games are golden-oldies, Elite, Privateer etc.

Edited by Dej

Me too, still. Gawd, I remember when that was the Mutt's Cajones.

Sorry 'bout that but it was inevitable that this thread would turn a bit nostalgic... so many 'free' games are golden-oldies, Elite, Privateer etc.

Sears or Mattel? I have the Sears unit hooked up, and 2 Mattel's wrapped in plastic in the boxes. Really just for backups. Love em all.

Sears or Mattel? I have the Sears unit hooked up, and 2 Mattel's wrapped in plastic in the boxes. Really just for backups. Love em all.

Mattel. Plus the Intellivoice unit with B-17 Bomber, Bomb Squad, TRON Solar Sailor and Space Spartans (awesome game)... ah, joy.

Yes, that was Atari. you can get it running with MESS, and the correct game ROM. MESS is a Multiple Emulator Super System. It's a little tricky at first but works really well. Also.. there is an Emulator called Stella for the A2600.

Give it whirl, it's fun once you get it going.

OvS

Gotta find the original Break Out first.. can some one pm me or post it on line here for dl, or supply a link for it? I've looked and looked and not been able to find the original.

Thanks,

Gotta find the original Break Out first.. can some one pm me or post it on line here for dl, or supply a link for it? I've looked and looked and not been able to find the original.

Thanks,

I can help Rabu, but is it the Arcade or Home console version you are looking for? And it is the late 70's we're talking about right, nothing newer?

think its the 5200 emulator for atari,,at least for the game i play...could be we are just thinking about different games,,,,but dont think breakout was on the 2600...could be wrong

OVS...been a while since i dug this stuff out,,,but,,,i have 2 roms for superbreakout...one is a .bin file,,,,and the other is an .a52 file....

I got a bunch of emulators...seems like most of them will emulate the 5200, but none of them open the .a52 file...

and one called jump,,,or something close to that opens the .bin file,,but its too small in normal view...and a pain to find all the options in full screen..

what emulator do you use for 5200 bin files,,,,and do you have anything that opens a52 files?

just on memory alone,,i think i used an emulator called x200...but we are going back a ways,,,could be wrong..

i know i have something that works,,cause i used to play this game alot,,,just cant remeber how i used to do it..

OVS...been a while since i dug this stuff out,,,but,,,i have 2 roms for superbreakout...one is a .bin file,,,,and the other is an .a52 file....

I got a bunch of emulators...seems like most of them will emulate the 5200, but none of them open the .a52 file...

and one called jump,,,or something close to that opens the .bin file,,but its too small in normal view...and a pain to find all the options in full screen..

what emulator do you use for 5200 bin files,,,,and do you have anything that opens a52 files?

just on memory alone,,i think i used an emulator called x200...but we are going back a ways,,,could be wrong..

i know i have something that works,,cause i used to play this game alot,,,just cant remeber how i used to do it..

Duck,

Pull down MESS, and try that one. If you need help getting it working, let me know. It's pretty easy once you get it going... and it supports almost everything in consoles. Including Vectrex, and it looks awesome.

OvS