Sign in to follow this  
Dagger

Think They'll Ever Add F-18?

If you're going to have the greatest fighters then hows about the F/A-18...I mean the USMC airwing can't be wrong with this choice.So whats the chances of it being added?Just dreamin i guess

No way, Dude! F-14 first! The 14 is a fighter, not just a "weapons platform". :P

No way, Dude! F-14 first! The 14 is a fighter, not just a "weapons platform". :P

The f-14 is being canceled the new S-f-18 or super hornet will take all aircraft over. So it would be good if they made a few more planes flyable including the f-14.

Concur with the F14. The Navy has three close-in weapons platforms,

CWIS

CSparrow and the

CHornet.

Range is where it's at. You have to be able to reach out and touch somebody... :D

Although don't know if it's confirmed but the rumor is the F-18 will be the next available flyable A/C. Guess I can live with that as long as they give us a Carrier or two for Ops.

As always, Congress is unwilling to provide adequate money for the military. They want one plane to do everything. That is not possible.

Our pilots deserve aircraft which are dedicated to a particular task and which are the best in the world at performing that task. Furthermore, even if they are already the best, we need to keep up with technology. Why? Because no one knows what surprises the future may bring.

Anyway, personally I think it's a bit ridiculous to create a sim that does not simulate the full spectrum of carrier operations. Just look at what a prominent role carrier based aircraft have played in all of our most recent military operations.

"I have the need! The need for speed!" No, subsonic ain't gonna cut it. Gimme the 14! :D

I agree Cretin. One of the key reasons for having the F-14 was the long range anti-ship missiles the Soviets fielded loaded on Badgers, Bears, etc. The Tomcat, coupled with the E-2C and the Pheonix, had the speed and range to quickly engage these deadly adversaries before they could shoot. This 3 sided "system" gave the CV a capable front line defence. A couple of Kitchens in the side of a CV would have seriously affected its combat capability. Most of us have seen what a single lucky shot did to the Forrestal, now imagine a large missile like the kitchen. I find it incredable that people are so short-sighted as to think that with the fall of the Soviet Union, the missile threat is seriously diminished. The Persian Gulf is awash in these missiles as are a far more likely threat, the Chinese and North Koreans. Whether these missiles are launched from land or air, they have a long reach that can only be defendedagainst by a long range aircraft and missile system like the Pheonix. Using the Hornet/AMRAAM combo with mid-air refueling is at best a stopgap that endangers our sailors and airman. The Navy performed it missions in Vietnam better than anyone else because their aircrews, unlike the Air Force, were specialized. A fighter pilot did his thing, the ground attack community did theirs, and so on. A pilot that has to know two jobs will never be quite as skilled at both as two pilots each trained in their specialty. I fear this is a lesson our military will have to learn again the hard way...

PS. After all that, let me say, I sure hope they add some aircraft to this sim. I would love to see both the Tomcat and Hornet, a US CV, a British Tornado, A French Mirage, and the Euro-Fighter EF2000.

Although I love the Tomcat I think the FA18C would be more practical for Lomac. It would take less work getting carrier ops and A/G radar than trying to get the two seat deal worked out for the F14.lol

I would love to fly the tornado, I've read though that the engine is at this point incapable of playable 2 seaters. Is this true?

I agree that a Tornado would be fun. *Oh those memories from the once state-of-the-art sim*

I don't think i have ever heard that its an engine problem that keeps them from doing 2 seaters. As i understand it its more of a concern for realism allthough its very hard to get them (the devs) to say anything definate on these subjects

yes..even Janes F-15 had 2 seats and you could fly from front or back..but I still like that little"forked tailed devil"

WSO? Waste Systems Officer!! :D Must be Airforce.

RIO - Radar Intercept Officer

We trained them well in the Navy, they could pretty much diagnose their own radar problems so they could give us a full debrief when they got back. Seldom talked to a pilot, but the RIO's was always coming down to the shop. B)

The F-14 is the biggest thing I miss about the Navy. It could always figure out how to throw a curve at the technicians to keep'em operational......

I seem to stick to a lot of things. Must be this velcro-like hair all over my body. :D

I seem to stick to a lot of things. Must be this velcro-like hair all over my body. :D

:wacko:

I don't what to say, thanks for sharing I guess :D

ok, msg rcvd. I be good and shut up now. :D

Edited by Cretin