Sign in to follow this  
GRUMPYBEAR

EVGA 790i MOBO

I just installed my EVGA 790i MOBO. Fired her up and i'm getting a POST code 08 and it stops booting up. The manuel says 08 is the keyboard check. I tried 2 different keyboards and it still will not go pass the 08 post code.I havent called tech support yet but thought someone may have an idea whats going on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks GB

Is the keyboard switched off in the bios by some chance?

Are both keyboards you used usb?

Is the keyboard switched off in the bios by some chance?

Are both keyboards you used usb?

One was USB and the other was a PS2(?) from a Dell PC.

Hadnt touch the BIOS. Think I should reset it?

GB

there is a bios setting there...called halt on....you can set it to halt on all errors except keyboard,,,,that might let it continue on.......

and saw the 08 post on the manual...

but,,,even if you start the computer without a keyboard,,,that should not stop the computer from posting...

if anything,,,you should get a message like.."keyboard error...hit f1 to continue"..or something like that...but you would get that AFTER it posted.... it should not halt the post.....

Edited by sitting_duck

there is a bios setting there...called halt on....you can set it to halt on all errors except keyboard,,,,that might let it continue on.......

and saw the 08 post on the manual...

but,,,even if you start the computer without a keyboard,,,that should not stop the computer from posting...

if anything,,,you should get a message like.."keyboard error...hit f1 to continue"..or something like that...but you would get that AFTER it posted.... it should not halt the post.....

The RAM i using is made by OCZ, its one of the ones listed as being compatable with the board. I can pull 1 stick out and see what happens.

i not getting anything up on the screen, not getting a "beep" before Windows starts.

sorry,,,a bit confused,,,

thout you where halting on a post message......if windows is starting, then the computer has posted succesfully.....

Going to assume that you loaded windows on this computer?

If so, then you must have gotten to the point where you got "press any key to boot from cd".......

If all this is true,,your posting ok,,and that 08 is just what stays in the led's.....so,,its not a posting error,,its something else,,,,

Can you let me know just how far along in the windows installattion you got?

sorry,,,a bit confused,,,

thout you where halting on a post message......if windows is starting, then the computer has posted succesfully.....

Going to assume that you loaded windows on this computer?

If so, then you must have gotten to the point where you got "press any key to boot from cd".......

If all this is true,,your posting ok,,and that 08 is just what stays in the led's.....so,,its not a posting error,,its something else,,,,

Can you let me know just how far along in the windows installattion you got?

Sorry about the confusion SD.

I'm stopping on the POST, Windows is not starting.

GB

lol..ok,,,that thru me,,,

did you find the halt on setting in the bios,,,and change it to "all except keyboard"

gallery_45808_317_21396.jpeg

curious, are you doing raid? (cause that caused me all sorts of grief on mine,,,)

also noticed,,,in the "intergrated periphials Menu" section of the bios,,,there is a "usb config" option....

from that option, you can enable or disable usb keyboard support...

know you tried both a usb and ps2 keyboard,,,,but maybe the ps2 keyboard is bad....

also noticed,,,in the "intergrated periphials Menu" section of the bios,,,there is a "usb config" option....

from that option, you can enable or disable usb keyboard support...

know you tried both a usb and ps2 keyboard,,,,but maybe the ps2 keyboard is bad....

Ok, i'm real dumb . how can i get into bios? Nothing shows on my screen/monitor.

Your saying that even if it stops on a post code i should be able to get into the bios?

Just after you hear the beep, try pressing either the delete key or the escape key a couple of times.

just a guess here,,,,but did you do both power connectors...

gallery_45808_317_65137.jpeg

also,,,are you planning on doing raid??

well..from your first few posts,,,i didnt realise that you where not getting anything on your monitor,,,thout you where at least getting the logo screen, and all that stuff., so assumed that you where getting far enough along to get into the bios.....from what you are telling me now,,sounds like the motherboard is not even powering up,,(ie the previous post i made)

If you want, i can get on teamspeak with you tomorow,,,even if you dont have a mic,,there is text chat there...

No offense,,,,but if you dont know how to get into bios,,,,you probable are going to need some assistance along the way to get this up and running....

Especially if you are going to do raid.....

I should get back to work around 230...If you want to get on..let me know, so i can juggle my schedule...

Edited by sitting_duck

Just after you hear the beep, try pressing either the delete key or the escape key a couple of times.

I'm not hearing a BEEP.

just a guess here,,,,but did you do both power connectors...

gallery_45808_317_65137.jpeg

also,,,are you planning on doing raid??

My PSU has 2 4pin connectors, I plugged them in but will check to make sure they are good and tight.

No, i'm not doing RAID.

well..from your first few posts,,,i didnt realise that you where not getting anything on your monitor,,,thout you where at least getting the logo screen, and all that stuff., so assumed that you where getting far enough along to get into the bios.....from what you are telling me now,,sounds like the motherboard is not even powering up,,(ie the previous post i made)

If you want, i can get on teamspeak with you tomorow,,,even if you dont have a mic,,there is text chat there...

No offense,,,,but if you dont know how to get into bios,,,,you probable are going to need some assistance along the way to get this up and running....

Especially if you are going to do raid.....

I should get back to work around 230...If you want to get on..let me know, so i can juggle my schedule...

Thanks SD for the offer but i'm on my 3rd double today. If I get a chance tommorrow I may call EVGA tech service first before I start bothing you.

Hey , if you really want to help send some cold weather my way. It's Freaking HOT down here. It's like 107 in the shade. :blink:

GB

hi

not sure what the 4 pin connextors you are refering too,,,but the powersupply has 2 power connectors for the mother board,,,(that you will use,,,there may be some others,,like the old p4 4pin connector,,but you dont need it) ...one is the 8 pin i indicated in the other post,,and the 24 pin connector that is shown as #5 in the picture...

all the other stuff on the powersupply is for add ons,,,(hard drives, cdroms, pcie...)

you can start the computer up with only those 2 power connectors hooked up (you wont get very far,,but it will start),,,you wont get anywhere if you dont have both of them hooked up,,,,

and,,only other thing i can think of,,,is that if you dont have the connector for the power switch on the 2 pins on the header connection. do any of your cooling fans start up when you hit the switch?

hi

not sure what the 4 pin connextors you are refering too,,,but the powersupply has 2 power connectors for the mother board,,,(that you will use,,,there may be some others,,like the old p4 4pin connector,,but you dont need it) ...one is the 8 pin i indicated in the other post,,and the 24 pin connector that is shown as #5 in the picture...

all the other stuff on the powersupply is for add ons,,,(hard drives, cdroms, pcie...)

you can start the computer up with only those 2 power connectors hooked up (you wont get very far,,but it will start),,,you wont get anywhere if you dont have both of them hooked up,,,,

and,,only other thing i can think of,,,is that if you dont have the connector for the power switch on the 2 pins on the header connection. do any of your cooling fans start up when you hit the switch?

[/quote

My PSU has 2 connectors, one that says CPU1 and the other says CPU2. These are hooked where #27 in the pic its.

I have the 24 pin main power connected to #5.

All the fans spin.

oH, I pulled one stick of RAM out this morning and tried it. Didnt change anything.

GP,

Sorry, did not see you are not getting a beep. However, your fans are powering on? Sorry for the stupid question, but how do you know about the POST error? Sound or video? Make sure the connector for the computer speaker is hooked up. Also, is your video card seated correctly? Does it have a separate power connector?

Edit: Looking at the picture of your MB, I now see where you are getting your post code.

You said you took one memory stick out to no effect. Did you try putting it back in and taking the other one out?

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

damn gb,, i thout for sure you didnt have that second ps connector in..

im kinda all out of guesses here,,,

I'm sure you saw the memory configuration,,if you only have one stick, they prefer you put it in slot3,,if you have 2 sticks use either the 2 blues, or the 2 blacks...

bout the only thing i can think of,,,(and just a guess) would be to reseat the cpu ONLY if you had to install it...if it came with the cpu installed, i would leave it alone...

past that,,im lost.

keep me posted as to how your making out,,,and sorry i coulnt be of any help

Herr Prop,,,he has an led status indicator on the mb, thats where he is gettting the "8" from

Edited by sitting_duck