Sign in to follow this  
Slope72

Using radar as a disguise

Does the "radar off" command have any real use in the sim? Whenever I use it my wingman/wing responds "not able".

With that in mind, does the game take into account the fact that switching your radar/ECM off makes you more "silent"? I´ve tried that during missions but haven't really noticed any effect. In reality that would, since being lit upp like a christmas tree would make your presence known, even though your are hugging the ground. And ECM, while it would cloak you, would still tell your enemy that something's afoot...

Another thing: Is there a patch with a "Scandinavia theater" or the like for WoE? A Battle for the Baltic, with SU-24 attacks and Viggens would be nice... Also, dogging MiGs in Norwegian fjords and mountains (remember "Eurofighter") would be quite a challenge...

Heres the thing - if the enemy Jet/SAM/Radar points its radar at you it will detect you at vast ranges unless you are in a stealth Jet. ECM transmitting might make you a bigger target on radar but turning it off won't hide you I'm afraid.

For example - an F-16 with its radar OFF and ECM NOT transmitting can probably be picked up over 40 miles away on radar no problems - its a hunk of metal in the sky.

The thing is as soon as the MiG or SAM points its radar at you - you will see it on your RWR (if you have one)

The best way to fly undetected in the sim is 'Nap of the earth' kind of flight.

When you fly in close proximity to the earth, most old airborne radars without looking down capability will not find you. It is also an excellent way to fool ground radars, when you fly under the radar's rays behind earth ridges.

In a Mig-23, flying extremely low to your target, is also a great way to fight. You are going so fast, that when you pop up, you can sometimes pick off even F-15s before they can react.

I turn on radar all of the time.

The benefits of turning off radar is minimal.

Since WoI, AI have benefitted from RWR info and reacted appropriately (i.e. evading RHMs when illuminated).

Since WoI, AI have utilized low altitudes/terrain masking to render F-4E radar and RHMs (Sparrows) almost useless.

So, I would expect that if you were flying low enough and/or using mountains to break radars while also leaving your radar turned off, that you could penetrate intense 1960s/1970s combat air patrols more effectively since they would have to get within visual range to detect your presence.

What I don't know is how well AI communicates amongst each other.

If you fly over a manned anti-aircraft gun, say a ZSU-23-4, do air assets get a "red crown" style callout the way the player does?

And not to mention the AI's visual spotting ability in relation to the player's visual targeting setting (Easy/Normal/Hard).

Interesting subject. I usually start all my missions with radar on and ecm off. Once I start getting rwr warnings that I'm being tracked, I start turning the ecm on and off. If I continue to get tracked after the ecm is on, I turn both radar and ecm off and make a rapid change in altitude (usually decending) untill I start getting tracked again (which happens quite quickly) or unless I know I've positioned myself to where I can engage the threat in which the threat has to make significant maneuvers to engage me. In the event that the threat is able to re-establish lock prior to my position of advantage, then I'm both radar off and ecm on untill I can place myself where the threat can't easily engage me. Then I go both radar and ecm on the whole time until the threat has been neutralized. I've found this to be my success in dealing with flankers. However, constant toggeling of the equipment can keep you opponent a little bit more off balance, giving you a better position of advantage. I've also noticed that some AI planes employ the same tactics when I try to lock onto them, forcing me to close in on them so that they can engage me.

I fly low and silent until I am detected and then I go active... I have noticed as well that the Red Air do evaded SAHM and AHM more effectively now than they used to which makes life interesting when trying to whittle down multiple migs but it does make it less of a turkey shoot now. You have to think about making your kills which leads to some interesting and long dogfights...