Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

First Soviet Jet bombers?

Can someone tell me which are the first soviet bombers powered by Jets? I can't fins anything before the Il-28 Beagle, but sounds strange that they needed 3 years to develop a jet bomber with all the data captured to the germans and the first fighter jets already flying in 1946.

Thanks

According to Wiki (which we all know is never wrong :wink: ), the first Soviet jet bomber built was the Ilyushin Il-22 prototype bomber in 1947, which never entered production:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilyushin_Il-22

The Il-28 looks like the first to enter regular service with the Soviets.

Can someone tell me which are the first soviet bombers powered by Jets? I can't fins anything before the Il-28 Beagle, but sounds strange that they needed 3 years to develop a jet bomber with all the data captured to the germans and the first fighter jets already flying in 1946.

Thanks

Not too sure - I thought it was the IL-28 - read somewhere that the type of Jet tech they got from the Germans was not adequate - especially when we gave them the Rolls Royce Nene :slow(en): - which was copied and manufactored as the VK-1 - this went into the MiG-15 and Il-28.

Must be something about it on the web - or maybe Lindr2 would know if hes still about.

Seems that the Il-22 is a copy of the German Heinkel jet bomber, anyone know If the soviets tried to copy the Arado234? This plane was totally operational and seems pretty good for the era

Seems that the Il-22 is a copy of the German Heinkel jet bomber, anyone know If the soviets tried to copy the Arado234? This plane was totally operational and seems pretty good for the era

Vastly modified, but the Beagle exploited the concept.

gallery_30428_43_2711.jpg

Edited by macelena

The first jet bomber was a jet version of the Tu-2. If i remember right the designation was Tu-10 or Tu-12. They simply replaced the piston engine by jet engines.

link: Tu-12 page from Aviaorg

Edited by Gepard

I think there was a Tu-4 (B-29) modified with jet engines for testing purposes, not sure though. If so it would have been one of the first Soviet attempts at a jet bomber