Sign in to follow this  
serverandenforcer

To get or not to get Vista is the question

I know its not required to get vista for any of the new SF2 series, but is it recomended to get that OS for it? I'm a little apprehensive to change out from XP because of the prtoblems it might give me with 3DS Max. What do you guys recomend?

Edited by Dave Jr.

Wait till Windows 7 is out at the end of the year - thats what im doing - although will be a new PC in my case too

You could maybe dual boot with XP if you still need it for anything - but you never know it might run in it anyway.

Edited by MigBuster

I have Vista 32 and MAX 9 works just fine. But I'd take MBs advice and wait til Win7. Everything I've seen in my testing so far shows it to be a better OS. The only reason I run Vista is that it works better on my laptop than XP (driver support is better) and it came with the laptop (vs Win7 which I would have to purchase).

FC

+1. My laptop came with Vista, and it's a PITA. I can tolerate it because my laptop is beefy enough to handle Vista and downgrading to XP with Windows 7 on the way makes no sense (plus reinstalling drivers can also be a PITA). Microsoft has a Windows 7 Release Candidate if you want to try it before you buy it, and SF2/V/E runs fine on it:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

I'm running Windows 7 RC1 and its working fine with Max 9.

I'd say wait until its get released and skip Vista all together.

Waiting for 7, or going ahead and installing the release candidate is the right move.

I know its not required to get vista for any of the new SF2 series, but is it recomended to get that OS for it? I'm a little apprehensive to change out from XP because of the prtoblems it might give me with 3DS Max. What do you guys recomend?

Along with MB, I don't really have any love for Vista... not much anyways. Mine freezes up depending on what programs I'm running so it really makes me leery about doing anything sometimes. So if there's no need to get Vista, you're really not missing much. Matter of fact I wish it had XP on there, didn't have nearly the same problems with that than I do with Vista.

Dangit, I'm getting a new comp sometime in August, and if 7 isn't out, I'm gonna go with XP pro.

If you buy a new PC in August, chances are it will come with Vista and an upgrade coupon for Win7. That's what happened before Vista's release, it was XP and a Vista coupon.

How much sense will upgrading to Vista/7 make in regards to SF2 series...is up to TK and his will to fully support it or only UAC support it like now...

Edited by Brain32

I'd too have to recommend you pass on Vista (known by many as Vista ME), and wait for Windows 7. I'll be building a new computer for myself (it's finally my turn) this fall and will make sure all components are W7 compatable, but will install XP till I'm sure they have the bugs worked out of Seven. Lets face it, there are a lot of computers out there and it's an XP world and will continue to be so for quite a while, especially with the economic situation around the world.

Ive got the Windows 7 x64 RC1 and it runs the games perfectly.... its miles faster than Vista Home Premium x64 and more stable too.... im defo gettin the full release when it comes out

Good. I won't feel bad waiting for Vista, then.

Geee, look colum5! People are saying skip Vista and wait for Win7! Why does that ring a bell with me? :haha:  

Geee, look colum5! People are saying skip Vista and wait for Win7! Why does that ring a bell with me? :haha:  

I don't know, but with 7 coming out in October, and with the release candidate looking very good, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of advantage to going to Vista today. One year ago, and two years ago, it was a different matter. Vista has been a good OS for me and most others who have used it.

I'll wait till 2011 for Win7. They'll have all the Bugs ironed out by then........

Edited by 331Killerbee

Lets face it, there are a lot of computers out there and it's an XP world and will continue to be so for quite a while, especially with the economic situation around the world.

Possibly not. Sometime soon (I was told the date, but I forget) Microsoft is going to end the policy of allowing corporate buyers to downgrade to XP on machines that come with Vista. That means that any new machines deployed above and beyond their existing volume licensing agreements will most likely be Windows 7 (the other option being Vista). Since corporate IT likes a consistent desktop, that will spur major upgrade projects. That will put 7's foot in the door in a way that Vista never enjoyed, and when people use it on a daily basis at work they will be more apt to accept it at home. Add to that the fact that 7 is already getting far better treatment in the press than Vista received (though it is not that much better than Vista to warrant such a turnaround) and the future looks pretty rosy for this new version.

For me, I can't tell much of a difference between 7 and Vista on a day to day basis. I think 7 is better for gaming, but at the office Vista, and expecially Vista SP2, has proven to be an excellent OS.

I'll wait till 2011 for Win7. They'll have all the Bugs ironed out by then........

That is what the beta and RC phases have done. I'm typing this on build 7068 and haven't even bothered upgrading to the RC because its so stable. Unless they jack it up between now and October this should be one of Microsoft's cleanest launches.

Edit: To add one thing, the 7 launch will be smoother IMO in large part because driver support is already in place. It tooks months after Vista's launch before a good nVidia driver was released, and even longer to get a Saitek HOTAS driver.

I honestly think Win7 is to Vista what Win98SE was to Win98.

FC

Well, it's more that Win7 is to Vista what XP was to 2000.

Vista SP1 is its Win98SE.

The main issue is going to be will 7 be as good as XP was or as good as XP SP2 (which was when people started to actually LIKE XP...I think a lot of people forget all the hating XP got at release).

I honestly think Win7 is to Vista what Win98SE was to Win98.

FC

Agree with you, tried vista, no like it, W7 was ok, in terms of workload seems to be lighter, anyone tried it?

Coming to you from New Mexico en route to Cali: one of my friends has the Win 7 RC and just like everyone has said, it's a hell of a lot better than Vista. Better backwards compatibility, better stability, overall just a better Windows.

Caesar out.

Well, it's more that Win7 is to Vista what XP was to 2000.

Vista SP1 is its Win98SE.

The main issue is going to be will 7 be as good as XP was or as good as XP SP2 (which was when people started to actually LIKE XP...I think a lot of people forget all the hating XP got at release).

Well actually I never liked XP much, and used 2000 all the way until 2006 until I got my hands on Server2003 which was much better IMO

As for Win7 I use x64 RC 7100 and I don't recall any WinOS working THAT smooth and stable, I was all wooooow and ohhhhh for the first week of using it, now that I got used to it there is NO WAY I'm going back to any of the previous Win versions.

My completely free still downloadable from MS site Win7 are licensed untill March 2010 and that is also great, although I like this OS so much I think I'll go buy final Win7 as soon as it comes out...then again prices might be better in march next year lol but anyway...I'm sold :notworthy:

Edited by Brain32