Sign in to follow this  
Stary

Missile vs flares realism or lack of, enlighten me please

If I understand the rules, to put it simple: when IRM locks on flare (bigger heat signature), flies to it rather than evasive plane and boom, right?

Could this be possibly modelled in TW sims? I'm not Weapons/Editor expert, so please do I thing wrong, or there's something wrong here? Right now my IRM's fly straight after loosing a lock, to selfdetonate later, depending on type fired. Same with enemy ones, I think both on medium and hard weapon modelling settings. Stock SF2E if that matters.

Guest hardy_

Depends on when you 'pop' (poop) em. It diverts the eye and breaks the lock. (ie, in some cases scrambles the brain) Every flare won't catch a seeker.

but then the missile theoritically should fly into the flare it's seeker catched?

Not necessarily.

Older and less reliable IRMs were 'hittiles', requiring contact with the target to detonate. Newer missiles have proximity sensors to detonate when they detect they are close enough to the target.

However, a flare probably doesn't have enough mass to set off the prox sensor...which means the missile flies right by the flare without ever detonating.

In addition, depending on when the missile gets decoyed, it may not have enough authority to complete the revised intercept due to the flare, causing it to go stupid when the flare passes out of it's FOV.

FC

I knew it's just my ignorance FC. Thanks for info. My missiles still seem to just stop tracking, without turning for CM. I think in Janes' ATF the IRMs were heading for flares instead, but it was loong time ago

Well, it could still be a weakness of the code of course. hardy was right in that some CM will 'blind' the sensor instead of outright decoying it.

FC

I also play Falcon 4 and see the same thing happen.

well, in lomac the heat seeker sensor box aim direct to target

Guest hardy_
Not necessarily.

Older and less reliable IRMs were 'hittiles', requiring contact with the target to detonate. Newer missiles have proximity sensors to detonate when they detect they are close enough to the target.

However, a flare probably doesn't have enough mass to set off the prox sensor...which means the missile flies right by the flare without ever detonating.

In addition, depending on when the missile gets decoyed, it may not have enough authority to complete the revised intercept due to the flare, causing it to go stupid when the flare passes out of it's FOV.

FC

Source, cuz no one types that way. :wink:

There's also something I saw that sparked my intrest on the topic..I saw a video in which some fighter tried to lock on with heaters on a B-52 that was trailing them like mad...anyway he couldn't launch as the indicator on the HUD constantly went on the flares and not on the plane.

Mind you it was a rather old video and they were VERY close...

Based on my Falcon experience, modern heat seeking missiles are initially slaved to the radar.

Which mean you can manually direct it to any heat source before firing.

Source, cuz no one types that way. :wink:

I do.

FC

can we add sound effect for flares in WOE? I try again and again but ı can't.

can we add sound effect for flares in WOE? I try again and again but ı can't.

They don't have a sound effect at 400 kts.

But to answer your question, no.

Guest hardy_
I do.

FC

They break lock. That's it. If you've a bogey that close to ur 6 o' clock, and it tracks flare, ripcord.

Or was the discussion about SAM's? That could be entirely different. :welcome:

Guest hardy_

I never said never. 'C'mon radar', - nice vid. :biggrin:

Thanks for answer dave. This is too bad. ıt's not realistic... :sleep:

From inside the aircraft, it's pretty realistic.

FC

Thanks for answer dave. This is too bad. ıt's not realistic... :sleep:

When you are in the aircraft you really don't hear anything. What makes you think that one could hear from inside a pit.

Notice how loud the missile launches in the video were, from inside the aircraft that launched them....