Sign in to follow this  
Kelly Mo

Which would you choose?

TrackIR or rudder pedals? Or beer?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What would you suggest for my next investment?

• TrackIR
    • Saitek Rudder Pedals
    • 120 bottles of beer (on the wall!)

OFF has been quite an addictive source of fun lately. Since I lack both rudder pedals and TrackIR, which would you suggest I invest in first? I probably won't buy the other until at least September... so, what would YOU recommend for the next three months of fun time? (Further notes: 1) I'm actually going to be spending about 4 weeks in July/August with family and inlaws, and that will negate any gaming time. 2) I am running the game with "Flight Log (Realism: 40)", which I'm sure is tragic to see, and all because I must use "auto-rudder".)

Of course, I could just buy a lotta beer instead...

Feel free to explain your reasoning. :drinks_drunk:

:biggrin:

Edited by Kelly Mo

Your best bet would be to get the Trackir (situational awareness is everything) and then find a used "twisty stick" until rudder pedals are affordable. Even new ones are pretty inexpensive. I think WF2 has one for sale for $22 but she lives here in the States. I've got a Saitek Cyborg Evo twisty stick but it would probably cost more to ship it than it's worth.

CJ

Edited by Cameljockey

OFF has been quite an addictive source of fun lately. Since I lack both rudder pedals and TrackIR, which would you suggest I invest in first? I probably won't buy the other until at least September... so, what would YOU recommend for the next three months of fun time? (Further notes: 1) I'm actually going to be spending about 4 weeks in July/August with family and inlaws, and that will negate any gaming time. 2) I am running the game with "Flight Log (Realism: 40)", which I'm sure is tragic to see, and all because I must use "auto-rudder".)

Hi Kelly Mo

You MUST have Track IR. Once you have flown with it a few times you'll never take to the skys again without it.

GB

I'm actually going to be spending about 4 weeks in July/August with family and inlaws, and that will negate any gaming time.

1) Buy TrackIR

2) Use your twisty stick as rudder

3) Let family & inlaws buy the beer

I would use a banana in a tub of butter if all I could afford was either a joystick or TrackIR!

Why worry about the 40% Realism if you want to improve your enjoyment of the game go for TrackIR, but look for a second hand one on eBay first. I'm using a TrackIR 3 with vector expansion that my son picked up for me in a Computer Exchange store and I see no reason to upgrade it yet.

As far a joysticks go you could give this one a try as it seems to have had pretty good reviews on the whole.

My two cents worth...

I have been flying flight sims for some time now (and yet I'm still a lousy pilot. HMM), but I only just got my first set of rudder pedals. The rest of the posters here are correct. If your joystick has a twist rudder function, that will suffice. If you don't have a twist stick, Auto Rudder is a wonderful substitute.

Another recent purchase of mine was TrackIR5. The other posters are also correct on that one. GET IT! GET IT NOW!!!!

Seriously, I don't know how I ever shot down a single opponent without one before. This is a MUST GET!

Edited by Steve Drew

Hi Guys,

Hi Mo,

I cant fly a flight simulator now wothout TrakIR. its a must.

I have rudder peddles which are great for immersion, but when I'm away from home with work (3 weeks at a time) I only have a twist stick at camp and I dont really miss the peddles that much. but the one trip I left TrakIR at home I was pretty much at a loss to play anything aircraft related.

TrakIR travels with me to and from work in a modified plastic cigerette box wrapped in padding. whereas the peddles just sit at home awaiting my return.

regards Rob.

Edited by Capt. Winters

If someone asks who was the asshole who voted for the beer, i was

I found it little wonder that TrackIR leads the way!...nuff said!

TrackIR wins hands down on that one, ok ok I wavered at the beer, but I can buy them one at time.

I voted for the rudder pedals as I have Track IR and a friend makes home brewed beer for me.

My vote went for TrackIR, picked up a Pro 3 on the cheap a little while back and I now understand what I was missing all this time. As for a joystick I am still using my trusty ol' Saitek X45, it's pushing 10 yrs old now, been through 2 house moves and tons of sim hours, built like a tank IMHO. The rudder axis is built into the throttle and works great for me, so pedals would be a nice but not a must have for me. No FFB on the X45, but I compensate with visual and audio cues and the TrackIR has increased my awareness in this field by 100x.

Guest British_eh

Oops, in the minority here, but.............

Pedals allow you to feel the plane, you do not get that with TIR.

I find TIR great for cruising, but awfull in engagement with the enemy. The screen moves, and you really need to Lock it down, to maintain your gun sights and accurate firing. I could live using just the hat switch, and do, when in combat. Sometimes you can find the enemy easier with TIR , but soometimes it is quite difficult to lock on an enemy beside you with TIR.

Just my biased opinion.

British_eh

It's not an easy thing to line up a shot when your view is dancing around because of TrackIR.

If you have a programmable stick (e.g. CH FighterStick), here is a trick that I do:

The FighterStick has a "pinky button" right were your little finger wraps around the bottom part of the stick. It's very natural to press that button and still maintain good control of the stick at the same time. I call that button my "Pre-fire Button." Here is what it does:

Press and hold it down --

1. Centers TrackIR

2. Turns off TrackIR (you are left looking straight down the business end of the aircraft)

3. Zooms the view in a couple of clicks (so you get a nice closeup looking down the pipper).

Release the button --

1. Zooms back out the same number of clicks that the "Press and hold" function zoomed in

2. Turns TrackIR back on (effectively leaving things just as they were before you pressed the button to begin with)

I use this button when I'm "in the saddle" and ready to fire. It holds the view nice and steady and gives me a nice closeup of the site picture. Also, I have two other buttons programmed on my throttle to zoom in and out with and I can use those buttons to further refine my zoom the way I like it while lining up my shot. If I am looking at a deflection shot or some other quick burst of fire, I may choose not to use the "Pre-fire Button" at all. It's amazing how natural it feels. It's very much like when I take my pistol to the shooting range and just before I fire, I get down in my stance, adjust my breathing, slide my finger onto the trigger. Here, my Pre-fire button is akin to holding my breath and getting into the firing stance. I started doing this about four years ago when playing Aces High and have simply translated the concept to all other games.

This technique has really improved my gunnery in flight games where aiming and shooting are critical.

Guest British_eh
For all the years, you've frequented this forum, you seem to be marching to the beat of a different drumer. Nothing wrong with that, as we're all headed to the same battlefield.

All your play of OFF, can be radically changed, with one trick

Substatute the Trackir Centering Key ( F12 ), for one of the keys, on the TOP of your Joystick. Pick a key of your choice, in controls 'Delete' the fuction, and exit controls.

All further work is done in Trackir.

Quote:Originally Posted by Interlocutor viewpost.gif I've tried to map the F12 key (TrackIR "Center View') onto my joystick, but it doesn't take. Is there a way to do this?Run the TrackIR software.

Open the Profiles Tab

Highlight the appropriate profile (usually Combat Flight)

Click the edit button

Open the Hotkeys tab

Click the 'change' button for the appropriate function (in this case 'center')

Enter the desired new key (push the joystick button).

Worked for me.

Now the split second After You've Completed your manuver to put yourself in firing position ( impossible without Trackir) you can instantly re-align your gunsights

Thanks Uncleal! I have it mapped to the top of my throttle control, Saitek X flight control system. Still find it a problem, and with the hat switch, it seem to hold the view longer and in better focus for my eyes, than TIR.

Cheers,

British_eh

British-Eh, I felt the same first about combat view.

There is another useful button for TrackIR in combat - "precision".

Put that on a switch or button of your stick. It makes you kind of stiffen up - your head movements produce far less

view movement, and you can shoot much better. All the rest is getting used to the difference.

It takes some time, but now I can follow enemy craft almost like with padlock target view, and still manage to manoeuver my fighter.

In a furball, nothing else can do that so well.

When you can overcome that dizzyness, that you may get after changing to TrackIR first, it is great.

My neighbour still fights with hat controlled view, and he gets shot down regularly, cause he doesn't see, where everyone is.

Thanks all for the opinions and suggestions. I'm definitely going to be getting TrackIR... and perhaps a twisty stick. Thanks, British_eh, for mentioning your issues with TrackIR. I hadn't even thought of the whole site-line-up bit, but now that I know how to fix that issue, even better! :ok:

So I'm off to scout eBay for now... otherwise I'll get it new. And I'll go get some beers to celebrate once it's arrived. :drinks: