Sign in to follow this  
scouserlad13

Anyone here a Royal Marine?

Anyone here a Royal Marine, or know anyone that is in the Royal Marines? I was just curious as to what actually happens at the PRMC (Potential Royal Marines Course) fitness wise. I know you have to do a 3 mile run and the obstacle course but what else is there, and how hard is it? Ive got a pretty good level of fitness and i go running alot and follow the training tool laid out on the webpage.

All I can say is I spent 7 days evading them back in the 90's and that was fun and games and a lot of hard work... best thing is to follow the plan nad keep your fitness levels up... if thats what your after... try run 4 times a week anymore and you can damage your muscles and try to get some light weights / push ups & situps in to keep your upper body in shape also try and get some swimming in as its good for all your muscles I used to swim a mile in the sea and then run the mile back as a cool down... and that kept me in good shape but I was playing rugby at the time as well...

I did a cadet camp at the CTC at Lympstone when I was at school - did the assault course, tarzan course, endurance course, night exercise, 7 mile run in step etc. We were issued with SLRs instead of the rubbish cadet SA80s which was fun, shot them on the range. Trained for weeks before and still got knackered. I remember the colour sgt. (Colours Walley) running up and down our lines shouting at us, while we plodded in: he must have run 3x what we did and didn't break a sweat. Some of us did do a POC and join up for real, though not myself.

We were issued with SLRs instead of the rubbish cadet SA80s which was fun, shot them on the range.

You mean that really awesome L98A1 that is beloved by oh so many? :biggrin:

That plastic piece of you know what smelly stuff... L98A1 my ar$e... was glad when I was given my proper guns...

Well, I've been called a Royal Pain in the Ass before, how close is that?

Well, I've been called a Royal Pain in the Ass before, how close is that?

Damn, I only clicked on this topic to write such a response and you've beat me too it :notworthy:

Damn, I only clicked on this topic to write such a response and you've beat me too it :notworthy:

likewise!

:fans:

Scouserlad13,

I have known plenty of them durning My 20 Years in the USMC. Our Marines train with the Royal Brittish Marine Commandos on a regular basis. The US Marine Corps, being modeled after the BRMC's use the same Physical Fitness requirments and share the same "Assault Courses". Ours are at MCRD Parris Island, SC. and MCRD San Diego, CA. All three Obstacle Courses are identical in layout. The only differences in Physical Fitness Tests is this: The USMC replaced "Pull-Ups" for the BRMC's "Push-Ups" Requirments. That's the only difference in Physical Trainning.

I'm sure You are well aware of the BRMC's Web Site and their Requirments, Found here:

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/royalmarines/t...t-fit-to-apply/

What I find interesting is that They want You to fill out E-Mail Information for Downloads that tell You how to prepare. Neat little Recruiting Tool there. If that information is still rather bland and not informative, (Due to the Fact that they are very selective just as the USMC) May I suggest reading this Web Site to get some Idea what would be required..:

http://www.marinebootcamp.net/PFT-scores-males.php

Crunches = Sit-Ups

I find the first sentence of the Book Advertisement "Funny as Hell".......(At the Bottom of the Page)

Both Services are Physically demanding.

Semper Fi!

331KillerBee :wink:

Edited by 331Killerbee

yeah i follow that exercise plan that is laid out on the "get fit to apply" section, and it has boosted my fitness dramatically. I can now run 2.4km on rolling hills in 12 mins 45 seconds. I need to get at least under10 mins so i can accomplish both parts of the pre joining fitness test. For the pre-joining fitness test i have to do 2X 2.4 KM runs. The first in 12mins 30 seconds. The second in just over 10 mins. So practice makes perfect i suppose. I have got one year until i turn 18 so ive got a bit of time to substancially increase my fitness.

I did a cadet camp at the CTC at Lympstone when I was at school - did the assault course, tarzan course, endurance course, night exercise, 7 mile run in step etc. We were issued with SLRs instead of the rubbish cadet SA80s which was fun, shot them on the range. Trained for weeks before and still got knackered. I remember the colour sgt. (Colours Walley) running up and down our lines shouting at us, while we plodded in: he must have run 3x what we did and didn't break a sweat. Some of us did do a POC and join up for real, though not myself.

Lucky so and so. We had .303 Lee Enfields when I was in the cadets at school in the '80s! Got to use SLRs when we had open days or camps though.

Worked with em a few times in Iraq and are hardcore and tough, but awesome group of guys. We have trained with them alot here in the states as well.