Sign in to follow this  
squid

Radeon Issues Still On

Fresh windows installation pc, clean SF install, patch1 then patch 2 and STILL no FSAA with RADEON 9600XT and slower framerate in cockpit than my previous GeForce3. Cats 3.10

There must be something done about the relationship of this sim with Radeons ... i am not going back to GF3 or Cats 3.7 only because of SF ...

I'm using a 128 mb 9800 and the 310's and SFP1 fully patched runs like a screaming banshee. That is with every graphics option cranked up to max.

What resolution are you running at? Have you tried 1280 x 960 x 32 or higher?

nope, 1024x768@32 is the res i run all my games. even if AA work in higher resolutions i prefer 1024x768 to help my rig framerate perfomance. Have you tried 1024x768x32 yourself ? do you have AA there ? An also i have strange flashes on the runway , flickers from time to time showing the ground tiles underneath or something. I had none of those issues with my old GF3. With both cards i had all graphics settings to their highest values.

19" CTD monitor

DX 9.0b

AGP 4X

Athlon XP 1700+

1Gb PC133 RAM

VIA KT133A board chip

Win XP pro SP1

I too am running the 3.10's with a 9800 Pro at 1600x and it looks and runs great.

Directx 9b, very smooth on the frame rates. Settings maxed out, vert sync I think I have off (deselected).

Cheers

Beer

Have you guys checked your AA ? is it present in the game ? (you may not be able to spot its absence because you run the game in very high resolutions) Can you maybe try for me a test run of SF with AA enabled from the cat control panel , and SF on 1024x768@32 ? would apreciate that.

I even have some glitches that didnt had with the GF3, like pieces of the runway that are near the monitor bottom border flickering/flashing.

The thing is that i got this card to be able to fly LOMAC (was unplayable with the GF3) LOMAC now is realy transformed , the combination of 9600XT with LOMAC is realy outstanding , but dont like one bit the idea that i might end up with less perfomance and image quality than the GF3 in the rest of the games ....

SF is by no means the only game that has had AA broken since Cat3.8.

Even far bigger sellers like Madden 2004 have AA issues so we can only hope that ATI solve these - after all it works with cat 3.7 & before.

does it ? :rolleyes: have to go check that ... (hate that uninstall cleanup, reinstall procedures, not to mention that with 3.10 i know that LOMAC rocks, will have to check again with 3.7 -3.6 etc)

1) I get "the flickers" too but, just like you, only with some of the runway textures from cockpit view when on the runway. Doesn't bother me much cause that is the only situation where it happens.

2) I don't see the effects of AA cutting in progressively as I crank it up in the control panel.

3) I tried 3.7 and it had no affect. Did not cure it.

4) With the ATI card I find that it is not uncommon to get better FPS at higher res. Supposedly this is possible because textures are in smaller chunks.

I was a Nvidia man until I got the 9800. The QUALITY of the image is MUCH superior with the ATI. The FPS have increased with successive drivers, especially in D3D.

I wouldn't use SFP1 as a yardstick for measuring any card. I love the sim, but it just got it's FIRST patch and the patch is buggy. Don't forget that you are dealing with BOTH the card AND the sim software.

I deinstalled 3.10 and installed 3.7

Now AA works, but perfomance still nothing better than 3.10 or GF3 ... ( isnt that, in general, a pitty ? shouldnt i normaly be able to see a noticeable/significant perfomance increase going from GF3 to 9600XT ? i paid some money to get this card lol )

Something i noticed is that the FSAA of Ati is behaving differently than that of nvidia. I think actualy is kind of weaker. For example, ATi 4X looks like Nvidias 2X ( to my own eyes at least ... )

I have the following questions :

1. What is faster, increasing one step the FSAA or increasing one step the resolution ? (i have the impression that increasing FSAA is maybe less resourcefull to the hardware than calculating for a larger area of pixels)

2. Is it possible to use the fonts that SFP1 uses for resolutions above 1024x768 (kind of bold) on the 1024x768 ? if so how can i do that ? The issue is that i use the Anisotropy ( i like very much how its improving the far viewing of the environment ) and this messes up the fonts in resolutions less than 1152x864.

Note.

I was hoping that the perfomance drop caused by the shadow would had been improved with the patch ....

I went from a Ti4200 64 mb, to a Ti4600 128 mb, to a 9800 128 mb. I had expected a phenomenal increase in FPS with every sim, application and program. That was not the case, especially with the initial drivers. I was disappointed and so went from 512 DDR to 1024 DDR. Not much happened wih that except that PSP ran faster. Hmmmmm...... should have kept my Ti 4200??? Not really. :D

1) As new drivers came out FPS started to go up.

2) The QUALITY, the QUALITY, the QUALITY!!! I get better quality with everything turned DOWN on the ATI than I did with everything MAXED on the Nvidia. That's the truth. Sharper, clearer, better. Nvidia's FSAA can't touch ATI's.

3) The ATI holds better FPS in demanding situations.

I have found that with some sims it is better to run lower res with higher FSAA and AF and in others it is just the opposite! It seems that what yields the best FPS/appearance can differ widely from sim to sim. Ya gotta tinker. :-)

As regards the fonts, I am not into the guts of the sim enough to be able to answer that question. I'm sure there are a lot of guys here who can.

All I can say is give it some time. Get used to the new card and how it works with various sims. Experiment with each sim to see which is the best combo of settings. I seriously doubt that you will be disappointed in the long run. :D

UNforntunately its AIT's Problem to Fix and They Are Continuing to Ignore It,

I respectfully beg to differ, Digital-Overlord. I have not found ATI to ignore anything. It sometimes takes a while for them to address problems with the specific sims in which I am most interested, but they always get there.

Secondly, graphics cards and drivers don't exitst in a vacuum. They have to cope with the strengths and weaknesses of a wide range of software. Create efficient software to a uniform standard and THEN hold VPU makers totally accountable. As it stands, it is 50/50.

Lastly, let us not forget that SFP1 was released, had one patch and then went dormant for a long time. Now we have a brand new patch PLUS a new Spanish patch AND a hotfix. How good are you at shooting skeet? :D

I also have problems with my ATI Radeon 9600 Pro Card and Strike Fighters.

I'm running the game at 1024x768x32 with almost all details and without AA or AF.

However I often experience severe slow-downs during the game - especially when flying CAS missions.

My rig: Athlon XP 2000+

512MB RAM

40GB HDD

Radeon 9600 Pro (Cat 3.9)

Onboard LAN and Sound

Win XP + SP

I both have a clean and a modded install of Strike Fíghters on my PC. The latter features Deuces effects_mod with incredible details such as shrapnel flying around everywhere and photo-realistic cluster bomb impact-effects. Every time one of these CBUs (from the weapons pack) explodes on the ground my FPS goes down the dumps.

The same applies to the clean install. I don't know why this happens...

PS: I'm able to use AA with Strike Fighters

I have an nvidia and do have slowdowns with some addon effects, some are very demanding.

I think these kind of problems are not unusual in our sims. Overall this is an area where I think SF performs great now.

I respectfully beg to differ, Digital-Overlord. I have not found ATI to ignore anything. It sometimes takes a while for them to address problems with the specific sims in which I am most interested, but they always get there.

Secondly, graphics cards and drivers don't exitst in a vacuum. They have to cope with the strengths and weaknesses of a wide range of software. Create efficient software to a uniform standard and THEN hold VPU makers totally accountable. As it stands, it is 50/50.

Lastly, let us not forget that SFP1 was released, had one patch and then went dormant for a long time. Now we have a brand new patch PLUS a new Spanish patch AND a hotfix. How good are you at shooting skeet? :D

Strike Fighters Will Be DX 9 Based Soon.

Hello guys

Any news about DX9 able SF ? Anyone tried the 4.1 catalysts ?