Sign in to follow this  
Kelly Mo

Map crashes scrambles?

I'd noticed a few times before that while I was playing I'd hit the 'm' to pull up my map, and the game would "crash" straight to the campaign menu. I ignored it, making an effort to just not hit the map key. But now it's happening again. I've been assigned a scramble, and the map button always kicks me out of my flight, as though I never even visited the briefing room (I'm only mentioning it now because I've kicked myself out three times. The first time I actually did intend to look at the map and see which way my home was, but the other two were accidentals while trying to hit another key :doh: ). I'm thinking maybe it's just something related to scrambles, since it's happened before and I *think* it was also a scramble.

Another note: when I'm kicked out and I go back to the briefing room, I get the scramble again, just like nothing had ever happened.

Is anyone else experiencing this "feature"? I guess it could be a godsend; with all the collisions and accidental stalls, I *could* just hit the button and undo everything when it all goes to Hades... :blush2:

But really. Is something fubar'd? :focus:

If you are struggling for video memory bringing up the map can tip you over the edge. Low down near the airfield you are seeing many objects close up and detailed.. try notching the sliders for terrain and scenery back1.

I'm going to try to find a new driver for my card I guess. I had another scramble with my four planes (including myself) with graphics settings changed to the lowest settings and it still fubar'd. Yet two missions later my flight (of four) was accompanied by four other friendlies, and there was another flight of four friendlies over us, with six enemies flying in and at full graphics settings, the map popped up just dandy.

Hopefully this'll fix it.

It definitely has something to do with scrambles. I just replayed a scramble mission three times. The first 2 times I hit m at the very end of the engagement to check crash sites for claims. The third time I simply fired up my engine and hit m...crash. Going to do a restart and go for a fourth just to be sure. I have 6gb of RAM and am running an ati radeon 4870. I hope im not hurting for video memory.

Edited by Macklroy

Well, my career was advanced a day on the third crash so I wasn't able to try for a fourth. But I was successful in opening the map right on the runway on the next mission (NOT a scramble) with 8 friendly craft on the field. Iff I think about it I can't remember a time when the map crashed my game other than the three times in a row on a scramble mission.

PS - I rebooted my computer after each time the game crashed. Just me being cautious, but it still crashed. May be something worth looking at. I kind of hope I get another scramble mission soon to try it again.

Edited by Macklroy

4 scramble missions.

4 crashes with map key.

Starting to see a trend. :blink:

Yep as I said on the ground or low you are very close to many objects, all using lovely texture memory. Terrain and scenery trees etc are at their highest quality as are all craft and objects near or next to you are probably using high detail models as they are close to you. More vid memory down the pan.. gulp gulp. I'd say ease off the settings, turn down AA filtering if you use it (or oddly sometimes up works no idea why) also try the tips above, Alacrity as above too as it helps with general free memory too.

Sorry Pol. You missed the point on my previous post. The point is that I the map NEVER crashes my game unless its a scramble mission. It has no effect on how close to the ground or my airfield, as I can open my map sitting on the field on any other mission. For that matter I can open up my map, take off, and do aerobatic manuvers at 50ft over the field while my buddies take off and no crash. It's ONLY on scramble missions "in my tests" that the map will crash my game. So that 'should' rule out video memory issues. Unless for some reason all the trees and hangars around my aeredrome are especially detailed and thus resource hogs on scramble missions alone?

Anyway, I'm not trying to sound like an ingrate here. :biggrin: It's not a game breaker as I can simply 'advance time' every time i get a scramble mission and thus avoiding the issue altogether. But "I" believe it bears some looking into. Just my opinion as a concerned consumer.

S!

Edited by Macklroy