Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

(RoF) Rise of Frustration

Hey All,

Just got back from my Honeymoon in Key West (it was awesome!) and saw the FedEx package at my door for RoF. After settling back in home I installed it and fired it up. Logged in and got "Server Error" message, preventing me from playing the game in any way. No on-line, no single player campaign, no missions, no quick combat. Absolutely nothing. This is why Over Flanders Fields will always be my favorite WWI flight sim. Neoqb has my money, but I can't play the game I paid for. OvS, I'm seriously looking forward to the plane expansion pack for BHaH. The screen shots looked amazing.

/salute

Hellshade

I finally got in. Not sure what the issue was. Only had the chance to do one training mission without making any adjustments. Hopefully I'll get to fly some more later tonight. I'll let you know how it is. So far I'm not wildly impressed, however I certainly haven't had the chance to configure it properly either (graphics, controls, etc).

Hellshade

Yes not a good start Hellshade but sounds like you are getting somewhere now. Maybe they will remove that need to talk just to play offline at some point.

....... I'm seriously looking forward to the plane expansion pack for BHaH. The screen shots looked amazing.......

/salute

Hellshade

Where can I see the screeshots for the expansion pack?

Where can I see the screeshots for the expansion pack?

Look at the post with Ovs taking the Kaiser's new plane for a flight. It has the EV in it. If there are other shots of the addon planes, I'd love to know too!

Hellshade, what are your opponents in the sky flying? Is it just Spad vs. DVII and some balloons or are there other AI only fighter or two seaters?

Look at the post with Ovs taking the Kaiser's new plane for a flight. It has the EV in it. If there are other shots of the addon planes, I'd love to know too!

Hellshade, what are your opponents in the sky flying? Is it just Spad vs. DVII and some balloons or are there other AI only fighter or two seaters?

The new Nieuport N.24 shots thread :wink:

...and saw the FedEx package at my door for RoF.

I may have missed something here. I thought RoF was bought, downloaded, and played on-line. Do they give you a disc?

I may have missed something here. I thought RoF was bought, downloaded, and played on-line. Do they give you a disc?

I ordered it and they shipped me a regular DVD.

Hellshade

It's a DVD with some other goodies. Haven't flown much yet. Took a while to figure out all the config stuff. Like the ricochet effect though. I learned something really quick. If you don't get the tail off the ground soon, you ain't getting off the ground. I went around that airfield, trying to get off the ground, I thought I was in NASCAR. I finally figured it out and got it off the ground.

CJ

I installed ROF today at 1:00pm and everything went OK until I tried to register the game online. It is now 7:00pm and I still can't get to the online registration. If you visit the SimHQ forum right now under ROF-Technical Support you will find many disgruntled posters (of which I am one) who are experiencing the same problems, and the list is growing!

So, I'll continue with my regularly scheduled programming: Over Flanders Fields: BHAH and be glad I still have this fine sim!

Hey, no doubt! Ain't nothin' gonna replace BH&H. I''m frolicking with the blonde tonite, but I ain't leavin' that cute little brunette for nothin'!!!!!!!! That is, for as long as she'll put up with me!

CJ

Brunettes always have been much more my taste.

I need another WW1 air combat sim as much as I need a third shoe.

The Missus says I need a third shoe. She calls me tripod.

CJ

CJ

I've heard of "putting a sock on it", but never a shoe. Sounds a bit kinky to me. At any rate, is anyone else having better luck with RoF? What other impressions are we getting?

Hellshade

I installed ROF today at 1:00pm and everything went OK until I tried to register the game online. It is now 7:00pm and I still can't get to the online registration. If you visit the SimHQ forum right now under ROF-Technical Support you will find many disgruntled posters (of which I am one) who are experiencing the same problems, and the list is growing!

So, I'll continue with my regularly scheduled programming: Over Flanders Fields: BHAH and be glad I still have this fine sim!

I have noticed that the RoF "cheerleaders" have gone missing in action since all of the complaints have started!

After reading the RoF Technical support page, I'm glad I haven't bought it yet. :yes:

Damn, I nearly choked on my tea when reading about Cameljockey's tripod! I'm on vacation, I don't want choke to death now! :biggrin:

But speaking of this online requirement BS in RoF, it looks like another bad example of screwing perfectly legal customers in the name of the holy war on piracy. Such protection has never prevented a single game from becoming cracked. Companies MUCH bigger than Neoqb have tried it and probably wasted millions of dollars in their schemes, but the results have been so useless that I can't understand why they continue favouring this kind of copy protection. Electronic Arts for example has lost a lot of sales with their DRM scheme and has yet to prevent their games becoming pirated.

Not wishing any bad karma on Neoqb, but if they ever go out of business I'm hoping they'll release a crack so the game can still be played.

CJ

Hey, "Tripod" - a latex sock: okay, if it's necessary - a shoe: never!

Edited by Olham

CJ

Funny your nik isn't Tripe, CJ. And I can imagine the avatar. With a shoe on it.

:lmaosmiley: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good one, Jim!!!

Yes, not looking good for ROF at the moment is it?... I think Davy TASB has made a good point...that all the ROF praisers have hit the silk!...hahaha

Follow-up from my earlier post: After last night's game registration fiasco, I woke up this morning and found I had finally received an email from ROF so I could register and begin playing the game.

Problem No.2: The options button within the game does not function, you have to exit the game and go into the game files to remap your stick or change graphic settings, etc.

Problem No.3: So far, I haven't been able to remap my stick and save the settings for the game, and on the SimHQ forum many others are having the same issue. So, I'm using the game's install default settings already on my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

The good news: I just flew my first Career SP mission. I flew for Germany and the objective was protecting a truck convoy. We ran into a French patrol and I got my first two kills. The FM in the game is pretty good, IMHO. The enemy AI is not bad so far. The sense of immersion and being part of a wider conflict is done well too. The mission had several secondary objectives as well. There is a lot of activity happening on the ground: Trains, vehicles, etc. The loud and spectacular flak burst all around my squadron was great too.

One option I like was the ability to choose the length of each mission before starting and also like OFF, the many squadrons to pick from at the start of your career. The game runs great on my system on max settings with excellent framerates.

Finally, the visual splendor of the graphics and detail of ROF are superb. I'm becoming more impressed with this game in spite of the aformentioned problems. I love WW1 sims, so for me the game is worth the trouble. Neoqb, the developer was quick to fix the problem last night, so that is a good sign. If they address the other problems I've mentioned here, they just might have a viable long-term game here.

So now I have three WW1 flyers I can put on the shelf: OFF, First Eagles and ROF. Its' an embarrassment of riches!

That's at least encouraging Trek..glad you're enjoying it.

It's going to need a bit more than a Spad and DVII to 'Re-light my Fire' though...Maybe in 6-8 months I will look again

That's at least encouraging Trek..glad you're enjoying it.

It's going to need a bit more than a Spad and DVII to 'Re-light my Fire' though...Maybe in 6-8 months I will look again

I like the Spad for what it is-- a tough, strong fighter overall. But I admit I'd rather have an N.24, N.28 or even an N.17 in many scenarios.

I have the game on the way, but 2 planes is a bummer.

Edited by SirMike1983

I skipped the registration fiasco as I was already registered at the RoF site. I've been watching this for quite a while.

CJ